Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5987|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

I think people are missing the point of the posts.

Lowing you are transposing your own hatred of welfare on what I've posted, IMO there is nothing wrong with welfare and therefore nothing wrong in welfare for service. But your response shows I've hit a nerve because I know that the term "welfare" is a word used to seperate the other and when you hit a nerve that's when you make people think.

Lowing here is the difference between me an you, I don't complain if someone is collecting a govt check, whether serving the country or sitting on welfare. What I am pointing out is that some individuals (meaning that there is a lot of people out there with this view point) who collect govt checks or benefits look down their noses and brow beat other people who are also receiving govt funds. Shit... you could probably find alot of people actually on welfare that hate people on welfare and that's psychotic. IMO these people pretty much lose their credibility to brow beat others and I'm not really interested in beating you up about it or belaboring the point. What I am pointing out to others who are reading these posts that there is some hypocrisy in all this. When you shake things up a little, like viewing all govt pay as welfare for service, it can help you gain new perspective on a subject and highlight areas of inconsistent thought.... But peronsally I'm all for looking out for your own self interest.

So using the union example
1. Individuals receiving the benefit that they would try to withhold from others = hypocrisy
2. Individuals belonging to a union voting for conservative anti-union govts = going against your own self interests
Both don't make any sense

Hey Lowing here's two simple questions

What do you think about the govt paying for a person's post secondary education?
What do you think about the govt paying for someones training?

Because my guess is that the govt paid for your training, and then you went over to a private contractor as soon as you could to make 2 or 3 times the amount that the govt was paying you. That is pretty much the career path right? Now, if that were the case then you as an individual would certainly be acting rationally and in your own self interest and there is nothing wrong with that, save that the policy makers permitted or encouraged people by making it a possibility that you could be trained at taxpayers expense and then permitted to go work for a private contractor hired by the govt.... which is more expensive to taxpayers and so that doesn't make a whole lot sense from a financial standpoint. But the opportunity was there, you took advantage, you made out alright and sincerely good for you.

Point is... If you received benefit of the taxpayer, you should at least be a little gracious when judging others when they are in need of public benefit. Otherwise it simply looks like its OK if you receive the money but totally unacceptable when someone else receives it... and to me that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Hating welfare moms is irrational and in the total scheme of things a few people collecting welfare or having a few social programs are not going to bankrupt the system, if anything, the past few years has shown us what it takes to drives the country to bankruptcy.
Nope, everyone got your point, they simply don't agree with it. people working for a living, be it for you or a private company is not on welfare. You have pushed so hard into the realms of the absurd that even those that once backed are now bowing out and distancing themselves form your irrational rants.

IN FACT, the term welfare does not even fit your desired use of it.

3. financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government: Thousands of jobless people in this city would starve if it weren't for welfare. 
4. (initial capital letter) Informal. a governmental agency that provides funds and aid to people in need, esp. those unable to work.

—Idiom5. on welfare, receiving financial aid from the government or from a private organization because of hardship and need.

Niether of those definitions apply to someone with a marketable trade and hires themselves out for compensation.

So really, before we continue, we have to come ot an understandings as to what welfare is, the actual definition and context of the term used by everyone else, or what you say it is.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/Iron_Chef.JPG
Todays theme ingredient.... its the The battle of the dictionaries

FTW
Here's a definition of welfare

wel·fare (wlfâr)
n.
1. a. Health, happiness, and good fortune; well-being.
b. Prosperity.

2. Welfare work.

3. a. Financial or other aid provided, especially by the government, to people in need.
b. Corporate welfare.
Idiom:
on welfare
Receiving regular assistance from the government or private agencies because of need.

I got it from here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/welfare

And besides there is no rule or law saying that you can't tweak a concept.

Anyway, I don't post things to make friends, I do it to write and play with concepts. To flip things on their ear and see what shakes out and poke at the sticky stuff. You can enjoy them, think about them, learn something, or not. It doesn't matter. But I do love to bounce them off of an absolutist like yourself, but after a while the moment is lost and doing the "yes it is," "no it isn't" gets kind of grating don't you think?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Varegg wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Longer sentence tbh ...
I had to redo it. It wouldn't submit the first time
Me 2
well how about that, I didn't know yo could do it with any color.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

I think people are missing the point of the posts.

Lowing you are transposing your own hatred of welfare on what I've posted, IMO there is nothing wrong with welfare and therefore nothing wrong in welfare for service. But your response shows I've hit a nerve because I know that the term "welfare" is a word used to seperate the other and when you hit a nerve that's when you make people think.

Lowing here is the difference between me an you, I don't complain if someone is collecting a govt check, whether serving the country or sitting on welfare. What I am pointing out is that some individuals (meaning that there is a lot of people out there with this view point) who collect govt checks or benefits look down their noses and brow beat other people who are also receiving govt funds. Shit... you could probably find alot of people actually on welfare that hate people on welfare and that's psychotic. IMO these people pretty much lose their credibility to brow beat others and I'm not really interested in beating you up about it or belaboring the point. What I am pointing out to others who are reading these posts that there is some hypocrisy in all this. When you shake things up a little, like viewing all govt pay as welfare for service, it can help you gain new perspective on a subject and highlight areas of inconsistent thought.... But peronsally I'm all for looking out for your own self interest.

So using the union example
1. Individuals receiving the benefit that they would try to withhold from others = hypocrisy
2. Individuals belonging to a union voting for conservative anti-union govts = going against your own self interests
Both don't make any sense

Hey Lowing here's two simple questions

What do you think about the govt paying for a person's post secondary education?
What do you think about the govt paying for someones training?

Because my guess is that the govt paid for your training, and then you went over to a private contractor as soon as you could to make 2 or 3 times the amount that the govt was paying you. That is pretty much the career path right? Now, if that were the case then you as an individual would certainly be acting rationally and in your own self interest and there is nothing wrong with that, save that the policy makers permitted or encouraged people by making it a possibility that you could be trained at taxpayers expense and then permitted to go work for a private contractor hired by the govt.... which is more expensive to taxpayers and so that doesn't make a whole lot sense from a financial standpoint. But the opportunity was there, you took advantage, you made out alright and sincerely good for you.

Point is... If you received benefit of the taxpayer, you should at least be a little gracious when judging others when they are in need of public benefit. Otherwise it simply looks like its OK if you receive the money but totally unacceptable when someone else receives it... and to me that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Hating welfare moms is irrational and in the total scheme of things a few people collecting welfare or having a few social programs are not going to bankrupt the system, if anything, the past few years has shown us what it takes to drives the country to bankruptcy.
Nope, everyone got your point, they simply don't agree with it. people working for a living, be it for you or a private company is not on welfare. You have pushed so hard into the realms of the absurd that even those that once backed are now bowing out and distancing themselves form your irrational rants.

IN FACT, the term welfare does not even fit your desired use of it.

3. financial or other assistance to an individual or family from a city, state, or national government: Thousands of jobless people in this city would starve if it weren't for welfare. 
4. (initial capital letter) Informal. a governmental agency that provides funds and aid to people in need, esp. those unable to work.

—Idiom5. on welfare, receiving financial aid from the government or from a private organization because of hardship and need.

Niether of those definitions apply to someone with a marketable trade and hires themselves out for compensation.

So really, before we continue, we have to come ot an understandings as to what welfare is, the actual definition and context of the term used by everyone else, or what you say it is.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … n_Chef.JPG
Todays theme ingredient.... its the The battle of the dictionaries

FTW
Here's a definition of welfare

wel·fare (wlfâr)
n.
b. Prosperity.

2. Welfare work.

3. a. Financial or other aid provided, especially by the government, to people in need.
b. Corporate welfare.
Idiom:
on welfare
Receiving regular assistance from the government or private agencies because of need.

I got it from here http://www.thefreedictionary.com/welfare

And besides there is no rule or law saying that you can't tweak a concept.

Anyway, I don't post things to make friends, I do it to write and play with concepts. To flip things on their ear and see what shakes out and poke at the sticky stuff. You can enjoy them, think about them, learn something, or not. It doesn't matter. But I do love to bounce them off of an absolutist like yourself, but after a while the moment is lost and doing the "yes it is," "no it isn't" gets kind of grating don't you think?
I could see where you would get tired of being wrong all the time, yes.

You should try posting things to make friends, like I do

Sorry, I am not an absolutist. I am a realist. and the real fact of this debate with you is, you are fulla shit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England

lowing wrote:

Alicewhite | F0F8FF]
Antiquewhite | FAEBD7
Aqua | 00FFFF
Aquamarine | 7FFFD4
Azure | F0FFFF
Beige | F5F5DC
Bisque | FFE4C4
Blanchedalmond | FFEBCD
Blue | 0000FF
Blueviolet | 8A2BE2
Brown | A52A2A
Burlywood | DEB887
Cadetblue | 5F9EA0
Chartreuse | 7FFF00
Chocolate | D2691E
Coral | FF7F50
Cornflowerblue | 6495ED
Cornsilk | FFF8DC
Crimson | DC143C
Cyan | 00FFFF
Darkblue | 00008B
Darkcyan | 008B8B
Darkgoldenrod | B8860B
Darkgray | A9A9A9
Darkgreen | 006400
Darkkhaki | BDB76B
Darkmagenta | 8B008B
Darkolivegreen | 556B2F
Darkorange | FF8C00
Darkorchid | 9932CC
Darkred | 8B0000
Darksalmon | E9967A
Darkseagreen | 8FBC8F
Darkslateblue | 483D8B          Darkslategray | 2F4F4F
Darkturquoise | 00CED1
Darkviolet | 9400D3
Deeppink | FF1493
Deepskyblue | 00BFFF
Dimgray | 696969
Dodgerblue | 1E90FF
Firebrick | B22222
Floralwhite | FFFAF0
Forestgreen | 228B22
Fuchsia | FF00FF
Gainsboro | DCDCDC
Ghostwhite | F8F8FF
Gold | FFD700
Goldenrod | DAA520
Gray | 808080
Green | 008000
Greenyellow | ADFF2F
Honeydew | F0FFF0
Hotpink | FF69B4
Indianred | CD5C5C
Indigo | 4B0082
Ivory | FFFFF0
Khaki | F0E68C
Lavender | E6E6FA
Lavenderblush | FFF0F5
Lawngreen | 7CFC00
Lemonchiffon | FFFACD
Lightblue | ADD8E6
Lightcoral | F08080
Lightcyan | E0FFFF
Lightgoldenrodyellow | FAFAD2
Lightgreen | 90EE90
Lightgrey | D3D3D3          Lightpink | FFB6C1
Lightsalmon | FFA07A
Lightseagreen | 20B2AA
Lightskyblue | 87CEFA
Lightslategray | 778899
Lightsteelblue | B0C4DE]
Linen | FAF0E6
Magenta | FF00FF
Maroon | 800000
Mediumaquamarine | 66CDAA
Mediumblue | 0000CD
Mediumorchid | BA55D3
Mediumpurple | 9370D8
Mediumseagreen | 3CB371
Mediumslateblue | 7B68EE
Mediumspringgreen | 00FA9A
Mediumturquoise | 48D1CC
Mediumvioletred | C71585
Midnightblue | 191970
Mintcream | F5FFFA
Mistyrose | FFE4E1
Moccasin | FFE4B5
Navajowhite | FFDEAD
Navy | 000080
Oldlace | FDF5E6
Olive | 808000
Olivedrab | 688E23
Orange | FFA500
Orangered | FF4500
Orchid | DA70D6
Palegoldenrod | EEE8AA
Palegreen | 98FB98
Paleturquoise | AFEEEE
Palevioletred | D87093          Papayawhip | FFEFD5
Peachpuff | FFDAB9
Peru | CD853F
Pink | FFC0CB
Plum | DDA0DD
Powderblue | B0E0E6
Purple | 800080
Red | FF0000
Rosybrown | BC8F8F
Royalblue | 4169E1
Saddlebrown | 8B4513
Salmon | FA8072
Sandybrown | F4A460
Seagreen | 2E8B57
Seashell | FFF5EE
Sienna | A0522D
Silver | C0C0C0
Skyblue | 87CEEB
Slateblue | 6A5ACD
Slategray | 708090
Snow | FFFAFA
Springgreen | 00FF7F
Steelblue | 4682B4
Tan | D2B48C
Teal | 008080
Thistle | D8BFD8
Tomato | FF6347
Turquoise | 40E0D0
Violet | EE82EE
Wheat | F5DEB3
White | FFFFFF
Whitesmoke | F5F5F5
Yellow | FFFF00
Yellowgreen | 9ACD32
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

Alicewhite | F0F8FF]
Antiquewhite | FAEBD7
Aqua | 00FFFF
Aquamarine | 7FFFD4
Azure | F0FFFF
Beige | F5F5DC
Bisque | FFE4C4
Blanchedalmond | FFEBCD
Blue | 0000FF
Blueviolet | 8A2BE2
Brown | A52A2A
Burlywood | DEB887
Cadetblue | 5F9EA0
Chartreuse | 7FFF00
Chocolate | D2691E
Coral | FF7F50
Cornflowerblue | 6495ED
Cornsilk | FFF8DC
Crimson | DC143C
Cyan | 00FFFF
Darkblue | 00008B
Darkcyan | 008B8B
Darkgoldenrod | B8860B
Darkgray | A9A9A9
Darkgreen | 006400
Darkkhaki | BDB76B
Darkmagenta | 8B008B
Darkolivegreen | 556B2F
Darkorange | FF8C00
Darkorchid | 9932CC
Darkred | 8B0000
Darksalmon | E9967A
Darkseagreen | 8FBC8F
Darkslateblue | 483D8B          Darkslategray | 2F4F4F
Darkturquoise | 00CED1
Darkviolet | 9400D3
Deeppink | FF1493
Deepskyblue | 00BFFF
Dimgray | 696969
Dodgerblue | 1E90FF
Firebrick | B22222
Floralwhite | FFFAF0
Forestgreen | 228B22
Fuchsia | FF00FF
Gainsboro | DCDCDC
Ghostwhite | F8F8FF
Gold | FFD700
Goldenrod | DAA520
Gray | 808080
Green | 008000
Greenyellow | ADFF2F
Honeydew | F0FFF0
Hotpink | FF69B4
Indianred | CD5C5C
Indigo | 4B0082
Ivory | FFFFF0
Khaki | F0E68C
Lavender | E6E6FA
Lavenderblush | FFF0F5
Lawngreen | 7CFC00
Lemonchiffon | FFFACD
Lightblue | ADD8E6
Lightcoral | F08080
Lightcyan | E0FFFF
Lightgoldenrodyellow | FAFAD2
Lightgreen | 90EE90
Lightgrey | D3D3D3          Lightpink | FFB6C1
Lightsalmon | FFA07A
Lightseagreen | 20B2AA
Lightskyblue | 87CEFA
Lightslategray | 778899
Lightsteelblue | B0C4DE]
Linen | FAF0E6
Magenta | FF00FF
Maroon | 800000
Mediumaquamarine | 66CDAA
Mediumblue | 0000CD
Mediumorchid | BA55D3
Mediumpurple | 9370D8
Mediumseagreen | 3CB371
Mediumslateblue | 7B68EE
Mediumspringgreen | 00FA9A
Mediumturquoise | 48D1CC
Mediumvioletred | C71585
Midnightblue | 191970
Mintcream | F5FFFA
Mistyrose | FFE4E1
Moccasin | FFE4B5
Navajowhite | FFDEAD
Navy | 000080
Oldlace | FDF5E6
Olive | 808000
Olivedrab | 688E23
Orange | FFA500
Orangered | FF4500
Orchid | DA70D6
Palegoldenrod | EEE8AA
Palegreen | 98FB98
Paleturquoise | AFEEEE
Palevioletred | D87093          Papayawhip | FFEFD5
Peachpuff | FFDAB9
Peru | CD853F
Pink | FFC0CB
Plum | DDA0DD
Powderblue | B0E0E6
Purple | 800080
Red | FF0000
Rosybrown | BC8F8F
Royalblue | 4169E1
Saddlebrown | 8B4513
Salmon | FA8072
Sandybrown | F4A460
Seagreen | 2E8B57
Seashell | FFF5EE
Sienna | A0522D
Silver | C0C0C0
Skyblue | 87CEEB
Slateblue | 6A5ACD
Slategray | 708090
Snow | FFFAFA
Springgreen | 00FF7F
Steelblue | 4682B4
Tan | D2B48C
Teal | 008080
Thistle | D8BFD8
Tomato | FF6347
Turquoise | 40E0D0
Violet | EE82EE
Wheat | F5DEB3
White | FFFFFF
Whitesmoke | F5F5F5
Yellow | FFFF00
Yellowgreen | 9ACD32
appreciate it, but I will just stick with the colors of Armenia. It is easy to find my posts when I scroll.
Diesel_dyk
+178|5987|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

the real fact of this debate with you is, you are fulla shit.
That would depend on the definition of shit you are using, your concept of shit and the type of shit we are talking about. Because its all relative and I don't see any right or wrong in that, do you?
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

1. Hate to break it to you, but you have been spouting off since you entered this thread.

2. A complete sentence does not start with "but".

3. Bush wasn't voted out. He ran his 2 terms ( max) and left. Again ya hate Thatcher, I get it.

4. Nope I couldn't care less if he were on welfare himself. ( I mean the kind where you are not working for a living ). I ask a question, he refuses to answer. So someone so vocal about other peoples professions really shouldn't have a problem discussing their own.
1. Define 'spouting off'. If you mean putting forward my opinions then everyone's been spouting off. So, OK, we've all been spouting off. So what?

2. A complete sentence can start with 'but'.

3. Well, you still ignore all my points about Thatcher and your own ignorance of her. So, since you ignore all the information I gave you, I guess you're not concerned about historical accuracy. Oooh, ooooh, I 'win' that little bout of fisticuffs! Lucky me.

4. Well he's not gonna answer I guess so that's by the by now innit.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

That would depend on the definition of shit you are using, your concept of shit and the type of shit we are talking about. Because its all relative and I don't see any right or wrong in that, do you?
Much like the term welfare, I use the accepted meaning. I however, have no idea what you would use, based on your posts.
Diesel_dyk
+178|5987|Truthistan

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

Much like the term welfare, I use the accepted meaning. I however, have no idea what you would use, based on your posts.
Here's what I used and its highlighted and everything, just in case you missed it when you were squinting so hard to see only what you wanted to see.

wel·fare (wlfâr)
n.
b. Prosperity.

2. Welfare work.

And I defined the welfare for sevice concept for you pretty clearly and in a debate you can do those sorts of things. Unless you want to pull out a rule book next.

I guess you're just expressing an absolutist opinion where you are right and everyone not agreeing with you 100% is wrong and welfare is for losers and idiot mothers that should have their babies stomped on and how dare I put "people with skills" and "people who get govt paid free training" in the same boat with welfare.  Well I dared, so stop me, personally I can't stand the hypocrisy when people receive benefit from the govt but then they line up to brow beat other people trying to get govt benefit. IMO it shows a real depravity of character, a real deep seeded meaness that has no place in civilized society.

You know that I baited you, right?, because we hadn't butted heads in a while and man did you ever bite hard. You are so predictable and now you are still trying to bring the debate onto a one dimensional playing field that you want to control. You won't let go. Whatever. Its over /thread
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Diesel_dyk wrote:

lowing wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Here's what I used and its highlighted and everything, just in case you missed it when you were squinting so hard to see only what you wanted to see.

wel·fare (wlfâr)
n.
b. Prosperity.

2. Welfare work.

And I defined the welfare for sevice concept for you pretty clearly and in a debate you can do those sorts of things. Unless you want to pull out a rule book next.

I guess you're just expressing an absolutist opinion where you are right and everyone not agreeing with you 100% is wrong and welfare is for losers and idiot mothers that should have their babies stomped on and how dare I put "people with skills" and "people who get govt paid free training" in the same boat with welfare.  Well I dared, so stop me, personally I can't stand the hypocrisy when people receive benefit from the govt but then they line up to brow beat other people trying to get govt benefit. IMO it shows a real depravity of character, a real deep seeded meaness that has no place in civilized society.

You know that I baited you, right?, because we hadn't butted heads in a while and man did you ever bite hard. You are so predictable and now you are still trying to bring the debate onto a one dimensional playing field that you want to control. You won't let go. Whatever. Its over /thread
With all of your idiotic and complete and utter bullshit, you still don't understand, that working for compensation is not welfare. The are receiving nothing, they are earning something.

No one receives govt. "free training". just like every other agreement ( that is not welfare) these people must give something in return be it service or money. Nothing is free, unless you are on welfare of course.

Just fuckin' typing "welfare work" defines nothing.

and yes lifestyle welfare is for idiot losers.

You do realize that between the 2 of us, you are the one that looked like a jack-off right? Kinda the reason you lost support.

I gotta say, you are probably one of the most unstable personalities I have engaged in on this forum, be it an act or real. I do believe it to be real however.

By the way, what did you say you did for a living? i mean other than a "professional who does not receive a paycheck"

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-09 13:03:01)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

RoosterCantrell wrote:

lowing wrote:

Nothing wrong with a Mcjob. In fact, I had one as HS kid, then as my life progressed so did my income. As my decisions got more responsible so did my jobs, then my marketablity.

There will always be a need for people to fullfill the low ends jobs, and it is the college kid and HS kid working for pocket money or beer money  that is SUPPOSED to fill them, taking the place of the HS kid that graduated and went to college or the college kid that earned their diploma and moved into a career. These jobs are not meant to be living wage jobs, and yet you seem to expect that thay should be. Reality is, a small business owner can not stay in business if he is supposed to pay his janitor as if he was an engineer. If that janitor wants engineer salary then he must work for it, if he is not expected to, in order to earn a fantasitc living, what incentive should the engineer have to make HIS paycheck?

You speak as if I was born marketable or have never known failure. Believe me I have. Assuming responsiblity for my failures and pulling myself up is what I did. What is it you expect from others?

Now before you start, I have always endorsed supporting those that can not help themselves. However I do not support welfare as a life style, nor do I support, supporting poor people in their idiotic decison making. I have my own life I must try and successfully navigate through without dashing myself on someone elses rocks of dispair.
No, I do not expect a janitor to be payed well, but at least at a level that makes survival possible.  A whole other debate is payscales.  The CEOs that pocket a few million in yearly bonuses, the executives at AIG who got bonuses despite this their blatant failures.  granted, that is a stretch, and a cheap example, but it does show extreme flaws in monetary compensation. 

ok.  So, we have these brilliant executives, pounding out the best methods of gaming (legally, but perhaps immorally) the system.  THAT idea, these smart people, know how to game the system... as in, fuck over as many people they can for their company's profit margins.  Obviously not all of them are like that, maybe not even a majority.

You have to acknowledge that history has shown that it is common for humans to exploit other humans, the smartest over the dumbest.  Survival of the fittest, but our current society is not that way.  Nor should it in the pure sense of the phrase.

As I have said at exhaustion,  Societies need a support system, which defies survival of the fittest.  But that is a high level corporate mindset, survival of the fittest.  Hell, it has to be.  But that doesn't work in a democracy.  It defies the very term.  That doesn't mean I am preaching fairness, but there is always a line between ambition and greed, especially when it comes from the expense of another.

But to counter the abuse and exploitation, we have system, laws, and welfare programs.  One, to help the lower people, and two, counter the over balance of the higher ups from said exploitation.

That is what makes democracies work.  It's not a fascist state, or a tyrannical state.  Survival of the fittest is a great method and standard in moderation.  Taken to the extreme, is evil.   That is what I am getting at.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from, and agree with alot of your ideas, but I disagree with the staunch level you take things to, not to an irrational level, but to a very unforgiving level. And, no, I don't hand out forgiveness like its free, don't try to say that I was, you WERE going to .

There will always be people out there who exploit other people.  Kings did it, con men do it.  These people are usually not idiots, but their victims often are.  The U.S. constitution is based upon the idea of protecting people (Broad and a bit unfair to say that, but applicable none the less).

Even still, with power, comes corruption, Racism etc.  The darkside of human nature is still very prevalent today.  merely 50 years ago, we had segregation.  Oh christ, yes.... I just played the race card.

But there is a point to it (NO not a free excuse), prejudices and immorality such as back then factor heavily upon the less er people, placed upon them by the well-to-do.  Obviously not as a standard, but it happens.  IT happens not because succesful people are greedy and evil, but some are.  They can sometimes get away with it, due to the freedoms and throughways of our society.   

With such a free country comes one end: The freedom and ability to be a piece of shit loser, welfare jockey-TO a degree-, on the other, the freedom and ability to game the system and take advantage of other people -to a degree-

But which end has the smart ones? the powerful, the rich, the opposite of the welfare reciepients.   With the powerful, and with the ideals of our country comes, I feel, an obligation to counter balance, to assist the ones so easily exploitable.

----

The battle line in this thread, between you and I, I think, you are speaking from a view of the deadbeats, while I am looking from a view of people (some, some some, being taken advantage of), and/or in need of help who are genuinely good, useful people.  Not that Either of you and I are more wrong or more right...

I understand the extreme potential of abuse of the welfare system.  I just wonder if you are willing to consider how many people on welfare or some sort of assistance who are not there to bilk that system and are, again, useful good intended people.

NO, I do not think corporations or executives are the problem.  The problem is human nature.  Greedy on one end, sinfully lazy on the other.  Whose more wrong or right?

DO we clamp off the ability to be lazy, or a a greedy executive? No. Our country is not founded on or designed in that way.  The only rational alternative to patch up the imperfections as best as possible and moderate.

There are flaws in your beliefs as there is mine.   It just seems you are unwilling to give up any ground on anything that does not suit your own ends.  Societies don't function well that way.

JohnG@lt wrote:

How many of those jobs exist just to keep people working? How many could really be replaced by machines? I'd venture to say a good portion of them. I don't have any issue with people who are trying, even if they are failing repeatedly. I have serious issues with those that give up or don't try. The 25 year old working as a cashier at McDonalds is eventually going to either end up a manager there or on the rolls of public assistance. Was being a McDonalds cashier really the only job they were capable of working or did they choose the easy path with no responsibilities? If the answer to that question is yes, they are doing their best, then fine, if they end up on welfare I don't have a problem giving them enough support to not live an entirely shitty life. If the answer is in the second half, that they aren't really trying, then I say they deserve to starve to death living under a bridge somewhere.

The real question is how far should all these societal safety nets extend? Extend them too far and you end up with a lazy underclass who would rather live off government support than work. Extend them too little and you have people starving in the streets when they lose a job. I personally feel the net is way too far out there and that the system is being abused in a major way.

I'm going to stop here because I'm too tired to go back and reread your essay I hope you get my point.
We are advanced enough to have nearly all jobs replaced by machines. Are the machines cost effective?  That is the question.  Also, do you really want that?   Even less people with jobs in our country?   "Well yes, they should earn a better job" you might say.  I would have to agree.  But, as less jobs, more machines comes along, how would our economy, or even the global economy fair?   THAT is a big question I dare not destroy my  limited mind thinking about... at least not right now.

The answer to your cashier question is BOTH.   Some need help, some abuse help.   I think Lowing and I differ fundamentally on how many  abuse and how much abuse, or how much legitimate funding is sufficient.

As you feel, the current system is too extended, too abused. I feel it's insufficient, but abused.  Again, by how much.  We can never cut the system out.  Yes, no one said that.  But we all can agree the system is fucked up in many ways.

I don't think I have an answer.  But what I do know, is alot of the parts of the system ARE inadequate.  Sadly, and digustingly, I admit that it needs more oversight and bureaucracy, which we all can collectively groan at that idea, but it's true.  More oversight=more $.

Yep.  even this countries pockets are finite, and I see the problem right there in what I just said.  But something has to change,  bugdet cuts isn't the answer as it is already inadequate ,  throwing more money at it (in a proper way) could work, on paper at least....  Perhaps we should all just suck it up and give it a TRY.

I think we all have to remember that despite all the bullshit, all our opinions, The United States is (heh, well was before the financial collapse) in great damn shape in global comparison.  We must be doing SOMETHING right. lol.

EDIT: what also doesn't help, LOWING, is that you ARE confrontational, and if I was a betting man, I'd place a shit ton of money on the idea that you get an unhealthy amount of joy and entertainment at winding people up and infuriating them.

Plus, "you're Nazi, Lowing" probably gets a bit old too.
It is up to the janitor, not society to provide the janitor with a livable wage, if you do not like your life style change it, do not expect others to simply hand you a better one.

I am sorry, there are 2 lessons in this world that are flawless.

1. Do onto others as you would have done onto yourself.

2. accept responsibility for yourself and your actions.

these are infallible and absolute. Any deviation from either one is an unacceptable excuse.

The only deviation from this are those that can not accept responsibility for themselves. IE forms of disability and children.

No I am not confrontational, (unless of course you define confrontational as standing up for my beliefs).  Read MOST of this forum and you will find more unwarranted and open hostility toward me from the "peace loving" left than you would care to spend time to read.

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-09 13:39:31)

RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6473|Somewhere else

I just see it as some people may not be mentally healthy or physically healthy enough to just change their lifestyle on their own.

Like the maps near the zoo entrance.  People MAY find their way, but the maps are there to help them.  In turn, the money used to make the maps help the people get around the park, and maybe spend money on things they didn't otherwise find/get to on their own.  Bringing in a better profit despite the initial expense.

I guess I've said all I can say.  Not that I am giving up in frustration... but... heh.. I have nothing else to say.

Last edited by RoosterCantrell (2009-10-12 16:59:21)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

RoosterCantrell wrote:

I just see it as some people may not be mentally healthy or physically healthy enough to just change their lifestyle on their own.

Like the maps near the zoo entrance.  People MAY find their way, but the maps are there to help them.  In turn, the money used to make the maps help the people get around the park, and maybe spend money on things they didn't otherwise find/get to on their own.  Bringing in a better profit despite the initial expense.

I guess I've said all I can say.  Not that I am giving up in frustration... but... heh.. I have nothing else to say.
You are speaking of people that can not take responsibility for themselves because of their age or their disability. I am speaking of ALL others.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6473|Somewhere else

lowing wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

You are speaking of people that can not take responsibility for themselves because of their age or their disability. I am speaking of ALL others.
No im not.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

RoosterCantrell wrote:

lowing wrote:

RoosterCantrell wrote:

No im not.
"some people may not be mentally healthy or physically healthy enough". <------- Yeah, ya are.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
Hang on a minute, according to Fox News lowing works in an industry with massive taxpayer subsidy.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10 … r-service/
Tracking Your Taxes: Is Essential Air Service Really Essential?
The Essential Air Service program -- created to last 10 years and guarantee air service to small towns -- is now 31 years old and shows no signs of dying.
To critics, the Essential Air Service is classic Washington pork. Created to last 10 years, the program that guarantees air service to small towns is now 31-years-old and showing no signs of dying.

The program cost $24 million in 1990 -- but it now costs six times that, and most cities are no closer to breaking even than they were a decade ago.

On average, flights are 75 percent empty from cities you've probably probably never visited and may not have even heard of. Critics call it a government charter that you pay for, but never fly.

Passengers who use the program typically pay less than $200 a ticket, yet taxpayer subsidies for that same passenger routinely are hundreds -- sometimes even thousands -- of dollars.

Consider the case of James Washington, who boarded a flight Monday from the Los Angeles suburb of Ontario to the farming community of Visalia in California's Central Valley.

Washington paid $99 for his flight, and, according to government records, taxpayers paid $430.

"I think that is a lot of money for the government to be spending right now on a subsidy like that, especially when the flight has almost nobody on it," Washington told Fox News.

The flight included one other passenger on the 19-seat airplane, dentist Kam Virk, who commutes from Los Angeles.

"As far as I am concerned it is covered with my taxes, so I feel good about it," Virk told Fox News after landing in Visalia.

The Essential Air Service was created to serve as a helping hand to small towns whose residents lost air service after airlines deregulated in 1978. Even though the program has grown beyond anyone's wildest dreams, Congress calls it a "compact with rural America" and refuses reforms that reflect the growth of nearby airports.

Visalia, for example, is just 47 miles from Fresno, which has commercial air service to Los Angeles. An hour-long drive is nothing for most consumers, yet Visalia passengers get discounted service, paying from $59 to $150 for a flight to LA. Passengers in Fresno pay $300 to make the same trip.

The same is true for nearby Merced, which is 60 miles from Fresno. Passengers flying from there get $1.5 million a year in federal subsidies and discounted airfares.

Other cities that some officials have tried to exclude from the program include Pueblo, Colo. (43 miles from Colorado Springs), Jamestown,  N.Y. (77 miles from Buffalo), Jonesboro, Ark.(79 miles from Memphis), and Athens, Ga. (82 miles from Atlanta).

President Bush tried to trim $50 million from the program by eliminating subsidies to cities within 90 miles of an airport, but Congress refused under pressure from affected communities

"It is vital to our community," Mario Cifuentez, Visalia airport manager, told Fox News. "When large companies want to come to our community, come to the Central valley, that is one of their first questions -- what is your air service?"

Critics say the program is out of control. Subsidies were supposed to be no higher than $200 per ticket for cities less than 210 miles from a sizable airport, but in practice, the limit is not enforced.

Consider these ticket prices and taxpayer subsidies:

-- Cape Girardeau, Mo., to St. Louis: ticket price $189, taxpayer subsidy $1,939.

-- Glendive Mont., to Billings: ticket price $233, taxpayer subsidy $2,526.

-- Alamogordo, N.M., to Albuquerque: ticket price $192, taxpayer subsidy $2,270

-- Harve, Mont., to Billings: ticket price $233,  taxpayer subsidy, $2887

-- Ely, Nev., to Denver: ticket price $300, taxpayer subsidy $4,504.

The program serves roughly 3,000 people per day --  mostly businessmen, who critics argue can and should pay more for their flight. Instead, Congress continues to increase the taxpayers' portion of the ticket.
And obviously we shouldn't forget the military pork barreling to defence contractors lowing so eagerly sucked up, or the fat military contracts Boeing etc get, or the tax-free fuel airlines use - effectively subsidised by anyone using heating or motor fuel.

Perhaps you should take some responsibility and work in an industry which doesn't leech off the taxpayer?

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-10-13 19:47:06)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Hang on a minute, according to Fox News lowing works in an industry with massive taxpayer subsidy.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10 … r-service/
Tracking Your Taxes: Is Essential Air Service Really Essential?
The Essential Air Service program -- created to last 10 years and guarantee air service to small towns -- is now 31 years old and shows no signs of dying.
To critics, the Essential Air Service is classic Washington pork. Created to last 10 years, the program that guarantees air service to small towns is now 31-years-old and showing no signs of dying.

The program cost $24 million in 1990 -- but it now costs six times that, and most cities are no closer to breaking even than they were a decade ago.

On average, flights are 75 percent empty from cities you've probably probably never visited and may not have even heard of. Critics call it a government charter that you pay for, but never fly.

Passengers who use the program typically pay less than $200 a ticket, yet taxpayer subsidies for that same passenger routinely are hundreds -- sometimes even thousands -- of dollars.

Consider the case of James Washington, who boarded a flight Monday from the Los Angeles suburb of Ontario to the farming community of Visalia in California's Central Valley.

Washington paid $99 for his flight, and, according to government records, taxpayers paid $430.

"I think that is a lot of money for the government to be spending right now on a subsidy like that, especially when the flight has almost nobody on it," Washington told Fox News.

The flight included one other passenger on the 19-seat airplane, dentist Kam Virk, who commutes from Los Angeles.

"As far as I am concerned it is covered with my taxes, so I feel good about it," Virk told Fox News after landing in Visalia.

The Essential Air Service was created to serve as a helping hand to small towns whose residents lost air service after airlines deregulated in 1978. Even though the program has grown beyond anyone's wildest dreams, Congress calls it a "compact with rural America" and refuses reforms that reflect the growth of nearby airports.

Visalia, for example, is just 47 miles from Fresno, which has commercial air service to Los Angeles. An hour-long drive is nothing for most consumers, yet Visalia passengers get discounted service, paying from $59 to $150 for a flight to LA. Passengers in Fresno pay $300 to make the same trip.

The same is true for nearby Merced, which is 60 miles from Fresno. Passengers flying from there get $1.5 million a year in federal subsidies and discounted airfares.

Other cities that some officials have tried to exclude from the program include Pueblo, Colo. (43 miles from Colorado Springs), Jamestown,  N.Y. (77 miles from Buffalo), Jonesboro, Ark.(79 miles from Memphis), and Athens, Ga. (82 miles from Atlanta).

President Bush tried to trim $50 million from the program by eliminating subsidies to cities within 90 miles of an airport, but Congress refused under pressure from affected communities

"It is vital to our community," Mario Cifuentez, Visalia airport manager, told Fox News. "When large companies want to come to our community, come to the Central valley, that is one of their first questions -- what is your air service?"

Critics say the program is out of control. Subsidies were supposed to be no higher than $200 per ticket for cities less than 210 miles from a sizable airport, but in practice, the limit is not enforced.

Consider these ticket prices and taxpayer subsidies:

-- Cape Girardeau, Mo., to St. Louis: ticket price $189, taxpayer subsidy $1,939.

The program serves roughly 3,000 people per day --  mostly businessmen, who critics argue can and should pay more for their flight. Instead, Congress continues to increase the taxpayers' portion of the ticket.
And obviously we shouldn't forget the military pork barreling to defence contractors lowing so eagerly sucked up, or the fat military contracts Boeing etc get, or the tax-free fuel airlines use - effectively subsidised by anyone using heating or motor fuel.

Perhaps you should take some responsibility and work in an industry which doesn't leech off the taxpayer?
Yer an idiot.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

Yer an idiot.
Ah, you're using liberal strategy #5.

lowing wrote:

So to sum up, when a liberal is confronted with an argument they need to get out of, or can not win they now have at their disposal

1. you're a racist

2. you're a bigot

3. you're a Nazi

4. you're delusional

5. you're an idiot

6. you're generalizing

8. you're selfish

7. there are only a "few"

8. you hate everybody and everything

9. and now.......NOT everything is B & W
So, in summary, YOU are a degenerate free-loading, tax-guzzling liberal.
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land

lowing wrote:

Yer an idiot.
LOL good point DilbertX. Those subsidies are INSANE. You should get out while you still can lowing.
ruisleipa
+149|6215|teh FIN-land

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yer an idiot.

lowing wrote:

So to sum up, when a liberal is confronted with an argument they need to get out of, or can not win they now have at their disposal

5. you're an idiot
lmao nice to read over my morning coffee
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
LOL good point DilbertX. Those subsidies are INSANE. You should get out while you still can lowing.
Don't thank me, thank Fox News.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA
You couldn't form a real argument if you had James Carville wispering in your ear, Dilbert, that, you have proven. You are nothing but a smart ass, the likes this forum hasn't seen since Bubbalo.

Your article has got nothing to do with me or my profession, and I am not going to waste my time defending my profession from your idiotic notion that maintaining airplanes for an airline that serves the flying public is nothing more than welfare just like someone who refuses to work for a living and receives a govt. check for a reward. It is an argument that was stupid a few pages ago and it is just as moronic now.

Try coming up with a  real argument for once will ya? Pick any topic but Jesus, come up with a real argument
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Yer an idiot.

lowing wrote:

1. you're a racist

2. you're a bigot

3. you're a Nazi

4. you're delusional

5. you're an idiot

6. you're generalizing

8. you're selfish

7. there are only a "few"

8. you hate everybody and everything

9. and now.......NOT everything is B & W
It goes toward stupidity that is not worth the time to debate. It does not go toward the basis of a desperate argument like liberals  try and use. Believe me, if you had any sort of coherency,  I would address it. Please note the difference

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-14 04:11:51)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

lowing wrote:

You couldn't form a real argument if you had James Carville wispering in your ear, Dilbert, that, you have proven. You are nothing but a smart ass, the likes this forum hasn't seen since Bubbalo.

Your article has got nothing to do with me or my profession, and I am not going to waste my time defending my profession from your idiotic notion that maintaining airplanes for an airline that serves the flying public is nothing more than welfare just like someone who refuses to work for a living and receives a govt. check for a reward. It is an argument that was stupid a few pages ago and it is just as moronic now.

Try coming up with a  real argument for once will ya? Pick any topic but Jesus, come up with a real argument
Thats funny, in 17 pages we have yet to hear anything other than incoherent and misguided ranting from you.

When an argument is actually presented you fall back on the same feeble response you berate the 'libruls' for.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6644|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

lowing wrote:

Thats funny, in 17 pages we have yet to hear anything other than incoherent and misguided ranting from you.

When an argument is actually presented you fall back on the same feeble response you berate the 'libruls' for.
Only a liberal would call an argument based on ambition and personal responsibility, "incoherent and misguided". Oh well, I can't help ya with your problem, but I am sure there is an over funded, corrupt govt. program out there that will take my money to through at it though.

Last edited by lowing (2009-10-14 04:55:25)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard