Poll

Would you be happy if the next patch removed artillery from the game?

Yes26%26% - 81
No73%73% - 223
Total: 304
Jade Falcon
+1|6669|Ayr, Scotland

Darth_Fleder wrote:

Only if they took the rest of the guns out as well.
Hell yeah, I look forward to having a 2x4 with a rusty nail in it.

Seriously, arty should stay.  I know sometimes I feel that I have a GPS locator attached to me as it seems the arty tracks me, but its a serious part of the game.  It's also a major part of being commander.

Last edited by Jade Falcon (2006-04-12 09:48:33)

MoonShadow616
Doesn't read the Whole Thread
+16|6636|Japan
Heck yes I would be
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6705|Tampa Bay Florida
How about we take out the G36e to make the kits balanced?  No?  Thought so.
eatmywheaties
+2|6774
maybe EA could change the ressuply of arty based on how many flags the commander's team has at any given point in time.

if you have 1 upcappable flag and are being base raped, the arty time should be sped up increasingly

if your team has all the flags, then the arty time should be severely lengthened to help deter arty'ing their base over and over.
.:ronin:.|Patton
Respekct dad i love u always
+946|6824|Marathon, Florida Keys

I.M.I Militant wrote:

sif EA would remove it .. and thankfully they dont =] arty yer its annoying but it helps the team alot good for clearing areas... or takin care of those pesky l337 snipers no1 can seem to find or kill
it defeats the purpose of being a l337 sniper then doesnt it
https://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/patton1337/stats.jpg
dankassasin42o
+68|6694|Reefersyde, CA
iron gator has no arty, they have made a map with out it
PheloniusRM
+8|6713|Mission Viejo, CA
Arty is definately good, but commanders should not be able to fire it if they are in a vehicle and once it is fired they should not be able to enter a vehicle. Hell, a commander should not be able to even open the command window if they are in a vehicle.......yeah you know what I'm talking about~
ArMaG3dD0n
+24|6850|Deutschland/Germany
If you got some good sound settings you can hear the arty firing from big distances. This works great on smaller maps like sharqi. If you are about to capture a flag and hear arty or if you got 3 teammates near you and hear it you better RUN or hide in a bunker. This way you could avoid ~80% of the strikes aimed at you.

Last edited by ArMaG3dD0n (2006-04-12 16:03:08)

Navyseal99
Unintentional Good-Guy
+0|6672
i just wish that they would change it so a shell 20+ feet away doesn't INSTANTLY kill (i mean this in every sense of the word) me

ComradeWho
+50|6710|Southern California
artillery is a unique feature to the game that makes it more dynamic and changes the way in which you play

removing it would make the game more in line with the sorts of mindless shooters that most FPSs are...

if you don't like arty i can tell you exactly what type of player you likely are:

you don't look at minimap
you bunch up behind people
you like to spawn at flags where a large number of people are defending
you never take the lead role in an advance

any player with any experience that is playing attention can tell you with certainty where the next arty strike is going to be by looking at the friendly troop placements on a map - awareness of this changes the way that you have to play and makes the game more interesting.. not being aware of the nature of artillery makes you a lame ass newbie and more likely to get hit by artillery.

Last edited by ComradeWho (2006-04-12 19:26:03)

PheloniusRM
If you command enough you will know where arty is going to drop because if you were commanding you would drop it there. Its pretty intuitive once you understand.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6714|NCFSU2

Navyseal99 wrote:

i just wish that they would change it so a shell 20+ feet away doesn't INSTANTLY kill (i mean this in every sense of the word) me

It's supposed to kill you at 100+ meters, but for the sake of game balance it's toned down. Too bad only the splash damage from the explosion is registered, and not the shrapnel from the round casing. That's the real killer for troops in the open.

Just want to preach my increase in commander points = arty unlocks idea again! It'd be an awesome sight seeing an enemy squad reduced to plant feed after a 6 round mission of DPICM.

88 shape charge bomblets from each round raining down on poor, unsuspecting fools... Oh yeah.
Username II
+3|6648
I'd like the option to have it off.
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6839|St. Louis, MO
It's fine as is.If people want the commander not to fight in the field then they gotta get kills somehow.
Otherwise commanding would be boring as hell.
Xenris
+1|6606|Michigan
actually artillery has more than a fun factor in the game, i think the devs put arty in the game the way it is so that commanders would (through the desire to kill as many people as possible) keep people from making the game stagnant, that is, that everyone camps in a certain area and just sprays, makes the game much more mobile since the biggest group of people in one area presents the best target.

my 2 balls.

or is it cents.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6790|Noizyland

The only thing that makes comandeering fun is the artillery. Take it away and you got one bored arse motherfucker who isn't going to stay in one place and command as people are so often screeching for. I find it hard enough to force myself to go commander - it's boring as hell!

Also, Artillery makes the battlefield more chaotic, and that's fun. Sure it can kill you, but so can almost anything else.

You'll gather a sixth sense that will help you think like an enemy commander and avoid the majority of artillery strikes, at least that's what I've found.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
xbrandomx
+9|6665
Is this a serious question?  Did you actually think about this?  What if we didn't have artillary?  You know how different the game would be?  It wouldn't deserve the battlefield name.

Every peice of the commander's screen is vital to him operating his team.

You bitch because you've been blown up?  Go take out his artillary and wait for him to repair and see how he likes them apples.

Because of artillary I move across the screen so quickly.  If artillary weren't around I'd camp flags after I cap them.  But since I know an arty strike might be coming I run after i cap.

KEEP IT
88mm
+8|6821
Artillery makes the game more dynamic. It makes u want to move on and cap flags. Artillery can help a team alot, both clearing areas on offense and defending flags about to be taken.

The only problem with artillery is dropping it on uncappable flags or when a side only has one flag remaining. Then it may be like baserape.

I used to dislike artillery. Thought it was pointless. But it is one of the unique features of BF2. One of the fun things as commander is to try to find the enemy commander and hit him with artillery... LOL.

https://www.bf2player.com/sig/45820894-3959.png
PheloniusRM
As a frequent commander, I like artillery. It is great to be able to take out embedded snipers, soften up a flag while the troops are inbound, buy some time for inbound troops or in the case last night, bomb the daylights out of a group of jackass stat padders. I do hate though when I am commanding and the enemy commander feels the need to arty me every single time. Sure he is hurting his team, and he usually loses, but damn does it piss me off, especially on maps where I have no solid cover.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6662|Peoria
what would be really cool was if artillery actually damaged the terrain.

blowing up small buildings and bringing down trees n' such.

Last edited by Elamdri (2006-04-14 11:54:35)

MrPredictable
+14|6702
The commander should have more options for arty, the amount, speed and density of your artillery strike should be all adjustable, but then effects the reload time for the next arty strike. So say if you want to kill off a sniper, you set it for a low amount of shots (3 rounds or so) and all in very close proxsimity (speed of the shot wouldnt really matter as snipers dont move much) and your reload time after that shot would be very low. If you wanted to take out a squad at your main flag immediently though, you might want a high load(15 shots) with a medium density and you would want that shot right now. The reaload time would be very very long but your strike would have proballly saved your flag.

Sorry about the spelling

edit: the arty making holes in the ground would be cool, but would probally require a new engine(wait for the next battlefield.

Last edited by MrPredictable (2006-04-14 13:52:51)

liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6642|UK
Even though it can be v annoying it is still an important part of the game
Defiance
+438|6686

Spark wrote:

Sit and place UAV's once a minute? Yeah, cos that's real fun, isn't it?
Ever play on a 16 player Ghost Town 24/7 server? That's all the commander can do.

I had to sit doing that for 25 minutes for my damn vet command.
{RS}Diamonddog
+6|6657|Weymouth, England
I'd rather play without it. How realistic is it to have artilery every 30 seconds all throughout every battle you play? I bet in modern wars like irak they didnt even use artilery or very rarely. We need the option to turn it off on servers.
DeadboyUSMC
+65|6714|NCFSU2

{RS}Diamonddog wrote:

I'd rather play without it. How realistic is it to have artilery every 30 seconds all throughout every battle you play? I bet in modern wars like irak they didnt even use artilery or very rarely. We need the option to turn it off on servers.
It's actually quite realistic. What isn't realistic is the killing radius. In modern day battlefields, such as Iraq (Operation Iraqi Freedom for example), the operations that do the most damage and garner the most kills are artillery and air. Believe me, I was there, in an artilley battery, shelling the shit out of every hotspot from the Kuwait/ Iraq border all the way up to Baghdad. I was in the Marines for nearly for years prior to the invasion, and during those 4 months I fired more rounds than those past years combined.

Not a flame killer, just a correction.

Also wanted know what another poster meant by "density" of the arty strike.

Semper.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard