ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land
Personally, I think a guilty verdict was surely the only reasonable outcome. The only problem is the sentence is so short. 6 MONTHS WTF? These mentalists killed their daughter. They shold be in a fuckin mental home.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/oc … ayer-death

"A central Wisconsin couple who prayed rather than seeking medical care for their 11-year-old dying daughter were sentenced to six months in jail and 10 years probation in the girl's death.

Dale and Leilani Neumann could have received up to 25 years in prison for second-degree homicide over the death in March 2008 of Madeline Neumann, who died of an undiagnosed but treatable form of diabetes."
Wreckognize
+294|6500
Serves them right.  I hope they get raped in prison.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6636|London, England
What's sending them to jail gonna do to people like that anyway, it's not exactly going to make them think any different. 6 months is probably enough for the sake of putting them in jail because they broke some laws. They're the one's that are going to have to live with the fact that their kid is dead, then again they probably won't give a shit seeing as they are content with thinking that the kid died because God wanted that to happen.

Too bad they weren't Muslim or someone would've been monitoring their family and that kid would've been saved ages ago
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6696|Disaster Free Zone
I think there was a case here not too long ago that the parents fled the country with their daughter to prevent her getting chemotherapy. Don't know what happened to the daughter though.
ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land

Mekstizzle wrote:

Too bad they weren't Muslim or someone would've been monitoring their family and that kid would've been saved ages ago
yeah I thought of that. Like if it was another religion involved - Islam or whatever - I'm 99% sure they would've got a much stiffer sentence. I guess those Christian folk gotta stick together eh? Loonies the bunch of 'em.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6557|Texas - Bigger than France

ruisleipa wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

yeah I thought of that. Like if it was another religion involved - Islam or whatever - I'm 99% sure they would've got a much stiffer sentence. I guess those Christian folk gotta stick together eh? Loonies the bunch of 'em.
yeah...riiiiight
ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land
sorry man but I'm pretty sure that'd happen. The judge in this case was also Christian. If he wasn't, or they were another religion, the result would've been different. Just how it is...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5373|London, England

ruisleipa wrote:

sorry man but I'm pretty sure that'd happen. The judge in this case was also Christian. If he wasn't, or they were another religion, the result would've been different. Just how it is...
Prove it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pug
nah, it's opinion
Sgt.Davi
Touches Himself At Night.
+300|6658|England
"I do not regret trusting truly in the Lord for my daughter's health," she said. "Did we know she had a fatal illness? No. Did we act to the best of our knowledge? Yes."
Thing is, idiot, your daughter did not have a fatal illness. She had a completely treatable one. And the last sentence is utter horseshit to the highest degree.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6711|NJ
Uhh seriously good for them, Separation of church and state.. Their child, their choice.. I really say no punishment for them, they decided to get all godly on the treatment and there daughter died, maybe it would learn them a lesson..
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5373|London, England

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Uhh seriously good for them, Separation of church and state.. Their child, their choice.. I really say no punishment for them, they decided to get all godly on the treatment and there daughter died, maybe it would learn them a lesson..
Sure, if you consider children to be nothing more than private property with no inherent right to life.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6462|Chicago, IL

cpt.fass1 wrote:

what if my religion expressly forbids me to feed my children?

laws first, religion second, you can't go live in a religious utopia and expect to be exempt from state and federal laws.
Pug

S.Lythberg wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

laws first, religion second, you can't go live in a religious utopia and expect to be exempt from state and federal laws.
And in this case they were found guilty?
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6462|Chicago, IL

Pug wrote:

S.Lythberg wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

And in this case they were found guilty?
yes, of reckless homicide.  The was a case recently where someone's religious group (read: cult) forbade her from feeding her child because he wouldn't say amen (18 months don't say much at all really).  Also found guilty I believe.

Freedom of religion isn't unlimited, it's secondary to our laws
Pug
Well, it's not debatable on the fact the punishment should have been more severe...although I wasn't in on the sentencing or know any of the particulars why only six months was determined to be enough.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6462|Chicago, IL

Pug wrote:

Well, it's not debatable on the fact the punishment should have been more severe...although I wasn't in on the sentencing or know any of the particulars why only six months was determined to be enough.
typically reckless homicide will get you 4-7 years, I guess the judge felt that their intentions weren't as "reckless" as most, and the fact that they have to live their lives knowing that they could have saved her probably helped
Pug
yep.  if i was on the jury they'd be dead
cpt.fass1
+329|6711|NJ

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Sure, if you consider children to be nothing more than private property with no inherent right to life.
Agreed.. Most people will cry about people on welfare and how lazy they are.. Well if we allow the people who can't take care of their children get away with not taking care of them, I'd say you reap what you sew..
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6729|US
Failure to act as a reasonable person...
Wreckognize
+294|6500

cpt.fass1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Agreed.. Most people will cry about people on welfare and how lazy they are.. Well if we allow the people who can't take care of their children get away with not taking care of them, I'd say you reap what you sew..
So then we should totally legalize post-birth abortions.
cpt.fass1
+329|6711|NJ

Wreckognize wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

So then we should totally legalize post-birth abortions.
I support this message..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2682654/i … _sequence/

If we reward people for just being able to bread it's just going to be a downward spiral.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-10-07 15:06:14)

Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6789|Noizyland

My neighbors a while ago did a similar thing. Their kid was ill and they relied on faith healing. Obviously the kid died and they were taken to court, found guilty but were granted name supression. Everyone in the community knew what had happened though.

Still, that's fucking nothing to the bloody Maori exorcism rutual that happened here a while back. If you read into that it will make you realise exactly how fucking stupid people can be. Seems to have a Wikipedia page.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
ruisleipa
+149|6237|teh FIN-land

JohnG@lt wrote:

ruisleipa wrote:

Prove it.
Sorry i can't, as you well know, cos it's just a hypothetical opinion innit. highly likely imo.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6795|Great Brown North
i wonder how many have died after being "healed"

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard