wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

wannabe_tank_whore wrote:

Explain when a doctor claims "miracle" when a patient recovers after doctors say they will most certainly die. 

It sounds like you have intrepreted miracles as only those confirmed by the catholic church.
Well, there are religious miracles, which refer to the ones JamDuDe is talking about (I think), and there are medical/social/ miracles, in which the odds heavily favor a certain outcome, and the opposite occurs.  Seeing as this is a thread about religion, which one do you think he is talking about?  I may be mistaken, but it happens sometimes when you use critical thinking to comprehend what people are saying.

Edited for punctuation
He didn't make the distinction so you can't argue your 'point'.  A blanket statement that all miracles are how religious people 'attribute it to a god for their own reaffirmation in times of doubt' can't be used in a debate because there are more than just 'religious miracles'.  Unless I'm correct in that he doesn't think otherwise.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

JaMDuDe wrote:

No its because ive looked at other religions and none of them compare to what Jesus did, the prophets who knew of him hundred of years before he came, America was based on christianity and it is now the richest, happiest, and most powerful country in the world. Billions of people have seen miracles, demon possesions, and have seen what God can do in life. And christians go to heaven in most other major religions.
how old are you jamdude?
id like to see you answer my question
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6695|San Francisco
Gee, tank_whore...we've only been discussing religion for the past 18 pages...so it would be pretty safe to assume that I was talking about religious miracles (plus, I was addressing the issue of religious miracles brought up and asked by both JamDude and siciliano).

Medical miracles, as defined, are highly improbable and extraordinary events that bring welcome consequences.  They only become religious/faith-based miracles when someone starts attributing divine intervention to it rather than using a scientific investigative process to understand Why the miracle happened.

It's just simple reading comprehension and semantics...
JaMDuDe
+69|6779
you dont need to know my age gunslinger ^^
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

Marconius wrote:

Gee, tank_whore...we've only been discussing religion for the past 18 pages...so it would be pretty safe to assume that I was talking about religious miracles (plus, I was addressing the issue of religious miracles brought up and asked by both JamDude and siciliano).

Medical miracles, as defined, are highly improbable and extraordinary events that bring welcome consequences.  They only become religious/faith-based miracles when someone starts attributing divine intervention to it rather than using a scientific investigative process to understand Why the miracle happened.

I seem to remember the topic of science and how it has debunked religion... I could be wrong.

OP: "Havent u ever doubted your faith? with science proving more and more things like the big bang theory and finding more and more evidence its hard not to quesiton your faith. "

Looks like I was right.  Remember, Marconius, it's just simple reading comprehension and semantics.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

What were you right about?  I can't find an argument in your latest post.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

What were you right about?  I can't find an argument in your latest post.
I'll hold your hand through this one, ken.

Marconius said, "we've only been discussing religion for the past 18 pages".

I said, "I seem to remember the topic of science and how it has debunked religion."

I posted what the original topic was about and if you would go through all the pages you would see that it has in fact been about science and religion. 

Then I said, "Looks like I was right."

Now I know simple reading comprehension is hard for some of you but you should be able to see it clearer now.  HTH, Ken.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

So you are saying this topic is about science and religion...I agree.  I simply couldn't find your argument.  I can read and comprehend, therefore figured there was no argument over the topic.  You need not explain that to me.  I believe JamDuDe was talking about religious miracles, judging from his posts in this forum.  Do you disagree?

Edit:  What is HTH?

Last edited by KEN-JENNINGS (2006-04-12 11:34:03)

siciliano732
+202|6650|New York
my dad was diagnosed with cancer in 98....did not recieve one bit of treatment, and was prayed over in my church and for 6 years now, he has gone back for check up and there is not one bit of cancer to be traced....what do you call that....

....that is a miracle and a blessing for God.

sorry if you cant accept that.
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

So you are saying this topic is about science and religion...I agree.  I simply couldn't find your argument.  I can read and comprehend, therefore figured there was no argument over the topic.  You need not explain that to me.  I believe JamDuDe was talking about religious miracles, judging from his posts in this forum.  Do you disagree?

Edit:  What is HTH?
HTH = hope this helps.

Marconius said, ""Miracle" is a term applied by faithful to a prosperous event that they cannot explain, so they naturally try to attribute it to a god for their own reaffirmation in times of doubt. "

JamDuDe said, "Billions of people have seen miracles, demon possesions, and have seen what God can do in life."  He didn't say religious miracles but Marconius chose to say in his definition that miracles were all religious.

I stated, "Explain when a doctor claims "miracle" when a patient recovers after doctors say they will most certainly die."  In other words, a doctor who could or could not be religious states that an event which he/she has witnessed is a miracle because he/she can't explain how it came about.  Under Marconius' definition the doctor wouldn't fit. 

Marconius later said, "we've only been discussing religion for the past 18 pages...so it would be pretty safe to assume that I was talking about religious miracles ."

He only recanted when I brought up the idea of a medical miracle that didn't fit his definition.  I then said, "I seem to remember the topic of science and how it has debunked religion... I could be wrong."  I posted the topic of the idea of science debunking religion and said, "Looks like I was right."

Was it that hard to follow?  HTH.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

JaMDuDe wrote:

you dont need to know my age gunslinger ^^
I do if I want to continue a discussion with a grown adult who has got esteblished well thought out opinions of the world or a teenager who is still trying to figure his niche in life
wannabe_tank_whore
+5|6779

siciliano732 wrote:

my dad was diagnosed with cancer in 98....did not recieve one bit of treatment, and was prayed over in my church and for 6 years now, he has gone back for check up and there is not one bit of cancer to be traced....what do you call that....

Here is an example of a miracle that was stated by doctors and attributed to God by the recipients.  Quite the conundrum for Marconius' definition.
Y-D-Donut?
Want glazed or chocolate?
+2|6643|Puerto Rico

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Y-D-Donut? wrote:

After all its someones choice to have faith or not. Some do because they belive the stories, some don't because the same reasons I dont. Its all a choice, ur choice. Science, Facts, Reasons, Sence  or Faith. No one, not even God himself if he exists, can change that.
Though if God exists, he could destroy the universe on a whim, which places him a step above the mythical figure of Chuck Norris. That would certainly change things a bit...
Then why doesnt he does that, or at least a part of it, so we can SEE he exists? What does he has to hide? What is he afraid?
Y-D-Donut?
+2|6643|Puerto Rico

siciliano732 wrote:

That is called that some people have the power on their body to fight cancer, even destroy it with no treatment. Things like that not only happen to people that pray, since my best friend, had liver cancer at its begginings, (he was a non- beliver) , he fought it whitout kimo or anything, and right now, a year later, he is healthy... VERY HEALTHY
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6737|Salt Lake City

siciliano732 wrote:

And I suppose there has never been a medical mis-diagnosis?
Y-D-Donut?
+2|6643|Puerto Rico

B.Schuss wrote:

Spark wrote:

That's an excellent point.

Who made religion? Men.

Who thought they communicated with God? Men.

Who wrote the Bible? Men.

Who preach religion? Men.

As far as I can see it, religion was created by a new civilization desprately wanting to understand A. How the world was created B. Why it was created. The gap has now been filled. Religion's original purpose is now redundant.
well, science may have a small idea about A., but I dare say B. remains unresolved, at least "officially".

The answer to the question "why are we here ?" is still the biggest mystery to solve.

I wonder what our christian friends think about this.
It remains unsolved because we will never find it. That question was created when religion was created. I mean the old "everything happens for a reason" thing. As a non-beliver, Ive taken my self to know we have no true purpose, we were just a creation of nature, throughout her billions of years evolving. Why r we here? Because Nothing. Were just here like your dog, cat, the bird that stoles ur McDonalds meal, its just that the human was the must "inteligent" one to create something called religion and fuck ur minds with all these questions, questions that don't have an answer.

PS: And to Spark, thanks for that post, thats exactly my point about my earlier "speech".

Last edited by Y-D-Donut? (2006-04-12 12:44:23)

JaMDuDe
+69|6779
Y-D God doesnt only do miracles on believers, he loves everybody. You guys will always be able to doubt things. Its pretty sad when theres a miracle the science people need to say " It must have been a mis-diagnosis" or sumthing. Y-D is your friend still a non-believer today?
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645
didnt think so
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

JaMDuDe wrote:

Y-D God doesnt only do miracles on believers, he loves everybody. You guys will always be able to doubt things. Its pretty sad when theres a miracle the science people need to say " It must have been a mis-diagnosis" or sumthing. Y-D is your friend still a non-believer today?
Not necessarily mis-diagnosis, but what is YOUR definition of a miracle?  He beat incredible odds, well, maybe yes, but does that constitute a miracle?  The point is, you see things that are unlikely to happen and call them a miracle.  I, as a nonbeliever, see things that are unlikely to happen and must turn to science, unless there is no solid reason.  No one is wrong or right, thats the bottom line.  I think it is pretty sad when someone sees something that isn't probable, and says, "Oh, its a miracle.  Thank God."  You believe in God, I don't believe He was, is, or ever will be here.  Is there something wrong with that?  I don't think there is anything wrong with believing in God, just when people tell me that is the TRUTH.
JaMDuDe
+69|6779
When something incredible happens and changes something for the good and science and the human brain cant explain it, that is a miracle. Not when something unlikely happens. I think its pretty sad when sumthing incredible happens and people say we need to study this more cause science says it cant happen.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6645

JaMDuDe wrote:

When something incredible happens and changes something for the good and science and the human brain cant explain it, that is a miracle. Not when something unlikely happens. I think its pretty sad when sumthing incredible happens and people say we need to study this more cause science says it cant happen.
that attitude is no different than when muslims blame everything wrong in their lives because of the wrath of god
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6766|Dallas

Marconius wrote:

You're going to hell.
JaMDuDe
+69|6779
Gunslinger u cant understand it. Your asking God to come through a closed door. You cant understand it unless u open up your heart to Him. He is there.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6633|949

JaMDuDe wrote:

...As opposed to saying unequivocally it is God?
Yeticus Rex
Destroyer of Penguins
+29|6661|SoCal

SilentNoise105 wrote:

Yeticus Rex wrote:

Yeticus Rex wrote:

This question bears repeating.
Another page of unresponsiveness goes by.  Come on guys, no matter what side of the issue you are on, give this some thought.
You really think he's gonna answer you?
Who's he?  This question was directed at everybody.
We cannot understand animals and we cannot tell if they have feeling or beliefs, and because of that we assume they don't. Doesn't that make sense to you?
Feelings, yes......beliefs, no.  Elephants and monkeys have been shown that they grieve for their dead, but they do not express faith towards anything intangible (ex. - God).
I mean just because we aren't able to talk or communicate with them, doesn't that give us the right to simply cast them off as useless, empty-headed beings witout any hope or reasoning?
My question never implied that we have the "right to simply cast them off".  It did imply that they do not have the capacity for faith.
Its apparent that animals don't communicate with eachother, I mean ants don't get together to make a colony and worship the queen ant,
Instinct, not faith.  No ant worships the queen, but they are genetically wired (instinct) to protect her for the survival of the colony.
and wolves have never hunted in packs in order to have a more effective chance of getting food and surviving!
Again, instinct.....and the ability to realize (tangibly) that teamwork helps in providing something tangible (food).
None of these things have ever happened!
Sarcasm!
Rational thought did not exist until humans were miraculously placed on Earth by an invisable, all-mighty being and told them to believe his way or he'll destroy you (despite the fact that I gave you the option of freewill). To finish it off, god made an entire universe (billions of light-years big) and focused all of his power on one tiny planet.
This is even debatable amongst religious scholars, let alone any non-religious scholars.  I certainly don't agree to that notion even though I'm catholic.
Come on now people, if this doesn't make sense, I just don't know what does!
Hey, read this Time article.....hot off the press.  http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazin … 13,00.html

And to further broaden everyone's horizon, read what some scientific panelists have to say about Science and Faith (a PBS show).http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/relig … /bios.html  There are 5 questions on the left....just click on one and read their responses.  You will see that the conclusion is that science does not disprove faith, and faith does not trump science.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard