_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Do you still have to get a learners permit when you're 18?

Maryland just increased the requirement to 9 months holding the learner's permit.  I haven't even started on it yet so I'm wondering if I should just wait till I'm 18 or maybe get it before I'm 18 if I have to have it anyway.

They must me doing this to pretend they're punishing the idiots from D.C. that happen to live in Maryland, just like with concealed weapon licenses.  They'll just as well drive without any kind of permit.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5924|Somewhere out in Space
learners permit at 18, wtf?

oicwutudidthargunz

owaitno

Last edited by N00bkilla55404 (2009-09-27 14:11:13)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6657|NT, like Mick Dundee

Err wat...

Sucks to be you. Here in the NT they start offering them around the age of 16.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
In Maryland you do just start on it now dude.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5924|Somewhere out in Space
Must be slow or something, i was offered at 14 but knew i was too much of an impulsive little shit at the time so i waited until 16.

Pro bono publico
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
I think some of you are misunderstanding, we still have a minimum age to get the learner's set at 15 and 9 months of age.

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

In Maryland you do just start on it now dude.
That sucks, and from these guys reactions, their states don't have such requirements at 18.  This makes me so fucking angry
2tuff
Positive Karma Here!
+357|6768
Get your permit ASAP so you can get your liscence ASAP so your life can improve ASAP
-Gunsmoke-
+165|6628|South Jersey

2tuff wrote:

Get your permit ASAP so you can get your liscence ASAP so your life can improve ASAP
this.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6384|Southern California

-Gunsmoke- wrote:

2tuff wrote:

this.
Seriously you guys.... reading comprehension.

The point is that you have to have a permit for 9 months. He is 18 in less then 9 months. This means that if he can get his license at 18 with no permit he will only be wasting time and money taking classes to get a permit.

The real answer... Call the fucking DMV man. No one knows better then they do, and that is what they are there for.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

VicktorVauhn wrote:

-Gunsmoke- wrote:

2tuff wrote:

this.
Seriously you guys.... reading comprehension.

The point is that you have to have a permit for 9 months. He is 18 in less then 9 months. This means that if he can get his license at 18 with no permit he will only be wasting time and money taking classes to get a permit.

The real answer... Call the fucking DMV man. No one knows better then they do, and that is what they are there for.
That's exactly what I was trying to say, thank you

And I looked around on the internet, it seems you do have to get one after 18 as well, but at least I won't have to get a Provisional License but that's nearly the same thing as a full license anyway

I REALLY wish I could understand why the fuck they tacked on 3 months.  That's almost a year of having a parent in the car, WASTE OF FUCKING TIME
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

It makes sense that you'd have to get one after 18. Regardless of whether you start driving at 16 or 18 you're still going to be learning.

Here the system is like this:

- Written test to get Learners license.

- Learners license + 6 months + passing a half-hour driving test = Restricted licence, (only allowed to take passengers if you have a person with their full licence for two years in the front passenger seat, not allowed to drive between the hous of 10pm and 6am.)

- Restricted license + 18 months, (12 if you're over 21,) + passing an hour-long driving test = Full license.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Ryan
+1,230|6835|Alberta, Canada

Learners at 18? Wow that must suck.

In Canada, learners are 14, graduated drivers at 16, then take the advanced test at 18.
VicktorVauhn

Ryan wrote:

In Canada, learners are 14, graduated drivers at 16, then take the advanced test at 18.
good god man, read the thread before participating...

Laws very state to state.... I didn't do the whole license thing until I was 18. Was a long time ago, and I remember doing drivers training and permit stuff, but I don't think I had to wait the whole period. You may have to get a permit still, just the waiting period may not apply any more.

But like I said, call up the DMV. Will take max 10 minutes and you will have the answer according to the people who actually give out the licenses.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Yeah I wouldn't mind if I just got the permit and then the hours and then just got my license after I had the 60-70 hours or whatever.  That's perfectly reasonable.

But to still require 9 months after you're 18 years old is wasting time.

And I can't call the DMV, I don't like talking on the phone, especially to people I don't know

Probably sounds a bit childish but I hate doing that
VicktorVauhn

_j5689_ wrote:

And I can't call the DMV, I don't like talking on the phone, especially to people I don't know

Probably sounds a bit childish but I hate doing that
Ohhh.... well in that case...

MAN THE FUCK UP. Your almost 18, time to become an adult, you are going to have to learn how to make a phone call to a stranger.

you CAN'T. Come on man, grow up.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD
Well, shit I don't really like people that much.  Whoever answers is probably gonna be an unhelpful asshole anyway.  Most people seem to be so I just avoid them wherever possible.

If I become a failed adult then so be it.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6714|Sydney, Australia

Ryan wrote:

It's 16 here for learners.

The fuck I want some 14-15 year old driving a car next to me. The fuck I want some 16 year old trying to impress his lady friends by being a tool on the road.

17 for a provisional license here is too young.

Yes, I hate people when it comes to driving. So many idiots.
jaymz9350
+54|6570

_j5689_ wrote:

I REALLY wish I could understand why the fuck they tacked on 3 months.  That's almost a year of having a parent in the car, WASTE OF FUCKING TIME
Because new drivers (regardless of age) are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.  Would I have been a little pissed if I'd of had these kind of requirements, probably (no time requirements when I got my license, had my permit for about 2 months) but I would have to say the teen drivers will bee a little safer now that we have a 6 month/ parent only permit (The day I got my license I could be the licensed driver for a permit holder)
Bull3t
stephen brule
+83|6294
When your 18 you do not need a learners.
mcminty
As for where this thread had headed, Vicktor got it right in saying.. man the fuck up. It's a fact of life that you will have to talk to people you don't know in order to get anywhere in this world. If you go into a conversation under the assumption that the person will be an "unhelpful asshole", then chances are that you'll make it so they come across that way.

Talking on the phone.. is it some fear that you'll say something/muck up your words and embarrass yourself? Cause at the end of the day, the person on the other end of the phone doesn't give a shit. Sure, at the time they may think "that was a little weird", but they certainly aren't going to go home and tell their husband/wife about it.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6358|California
I got my permit when I was 15 1/2 lolzzzzzzz
chicks dig it when you can drive
so man up and get all the bitchezzzz!!
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Bull3t wrote:

When your 18 you do not need a learners.
the laws vary from state to state

god people read the damn topic

Jaymz is right, most new drivers simply suck compared to most seasoned drivers. Not all do but the MVA won't take time to analyze each applicant's learning ability.

j56 call the MVA they're usually dicks but that's a fact of life. They aren't any friendlier in person and in fact a lot of people in the world are dicks so you might as well get used to it
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6709|Riva, MD

mcminty wrote:

As for where this thread had headed, Vicktor got it right in saying.. man the fuck up. It's a fact of life that you will have to talk to people you don't know in order to get anywhere in this world. If you go into a conversation under the assumption that the person will be an "unhelpful asshole", then chances are that you'll make it so they come across that way.

Talking on the phone.. is it some fear that you'll say something/muck up your words and embarrass yourself? Cause at the end of the day, the person on the other end of the phone doesn't give a shit. Sure, at the time they may think "that was a little weird", but they certainly aren't going to go home and tell their husband/wife about it.
I'm not sure what it is exactly, I just don't like talking to people on the phone.  But then again I really don't like talking to people directly at all.  I just don't like people and how they judge you on something you may have done wrong like that stuff in the conversation and all that, little social nuances they take for granted that I don't know about.  Just stupid stuff you all don't understand

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

I got my permit when I was 15 1/2 lolzzzzzzz
chicks dig it when you can drive
so man up and get all the bitchezzzz!!
It's too late now, all of my peers have beat me to it: girls and driving.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

_j5689_ wrote:

I'm not sure what it is exactly, I just don't like talking to people on the phone.  But then again I really don't like talking to people directly at all.  I just don't like people and how they judge you on something you may have done wrong like that stuff in the conversation and all that, little social nuances they take for granted that I don't know about.  Just stupid stuff you all don't understand
Most people really don't care dude.
mcminty

_j5689_ wrote:

mcminty wrote:

I used to hate talking on the phone, cause I'd be afraid of fucking up/embarrassing myself. So believe me, I know somewhat where you are coming from - it's why I went with that line in the first place.

But as we've said, people just don't really care.

And the way to get better at this interpersonal stuff? You just have to get out there, putting yourself in these uncomfortable situations. If you do that, you'll eventually pick up on the social nuances while boosting your confidence.

And to bring it back to the OP.. first off call the fucking DMV about this driving thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard