Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

actually by definition it is. bit is a voltage difference.

e: of course that would not be compatible with current 0 and 1 based systems.
That would just create 63 different kinds of bit. A bit can be either high or low. That is all.
the 0 and 1 are just imagination. they could just as well have values from 0 to 100 if there was 101 different voltage levels. there are no bits or 0/1s, just voltage levels.  In fact there was a time when PCs had more than 2 voltage levels, but the need of accurate measuring of voltages hit the cap in performance quite early. Its much faster to just measure if there is voltage or not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_numeral_system

'bit' is an abbrevation for BInary digiT.

Binary means that only two values can be presented. 1/0, high/low, etc. If more than high and low can be measured, it is not binary anymore, and thus, cannot be measured in bits. You cannot divide a bit into 63 voltage levels. You can only have 63 different kinds of bit by using equipment that will respond to one voltage level but not the others. If you want to convert more than one level into binary, you need to do an analogue-to-digital translation.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-09-12 16:06:55)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

That would just create 63 different kinds of bit. A bit can be either high or low. That is all.
the 0 and 1 are just imagination. they could just as well have values from 0 to 100 if there was 101 different voltage levels. there are no bits or 0/1s, just voltage levels.  In fact there was a time when PCs had more than 2 voltage levels, but the need of accurate measuring of voltages hit the cap in performance quite early. Its much faster to just measure if there is voltage or not.

Binary means that only two values can be presented. 1/0, high/low, etc. If more than high and low can be measured, it is not binary anymore, and thus, cannot be measured in bits. You cannot divide a bit into 63 voltage levels. You can only have 63 different kinds of bit by using equipment that will respond to one voltage level but not the others. If you want to convert more than one level into binary, you need to do an analogue-to-digital translation.
bit in its original definition is selector, which has function that can be defined differently. bit could very well be A or B, X or Y, someone just decided that we use binary system.

With lets say 3 voltage levels, the 'selector', bit etc. has 3 possible values, it could be anything, A-C or 0-2 or what ever is chosed for it. Nothing is forcing to use binary digits for bits.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-09-12 16:13:11)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

bit in its original definition is selector, which has function that can be defined differently. bit could very well be A or B, X or Y, someone just decided that we use binary system.

With lets say 3 voltage levels, the 'selector', bit etc. has 3 possible values, it could be anything, A-C or 0-2 or what ever is chosed for it. Nothing is forcing to use binary digits for bits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_%28disambiguation%29 wrote:

Bit, the basic unit of information storage, a single binary digit that is either 0 or 1
...which is also what I've been taught in digital technology class. I don't see how you divide something that is worth one binary value into more than one piece without significantly changing its properties by making it non-base 2.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Bit, the basic unit of information storage, a single binary digit that is either 0 or 1
...which is also what I've been taught in digital technology class. I don't see how you divide something that is worth one binary value into more than one piece without significantly changing its properties by making it non-base 2.
You miss the point I am saying, definitions change. Nowaways almost no one remembers the past meaning of it, just the fact that in modern CPUs the binary system is what is used. ATM bit is heavily related to binary, but that doesn't mean it was like that in the first place.

If we are 100% accurate, such things as bits don't even exist. They are just imaginary definitions to help us understand how logic processors work.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-09-12 16:25:49)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

You miss the point I am saying, definitions change. Nowaways almost no one remembers the past meaning of it, just the fact that in modern CPUs the binary system is what is used. ATM bit is heavily related to binary, but that doesn't mean it was like that in the first place.

If we are 100% accurate, such things as bits don't even exist. They are just imaginary definitions to help us understand how logic processors work.
Got a source on that? I've never heard of it. According to the overly brief wiki page, the concept of bits has been the same since the 1700s.

And the word "bit" exists as it's quite a bit quicker to say than "digit with that can change between two different values", "signal that can change between high and low level". Just like how "number" is quicker than saying "digit that can change between ten different values".

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-09-12 16:35:06)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

A computer does not understand anything else but a difference in voltage. It doesn't understand no voltage means 0 or that 3V would means 1 or that 5V would mean 2 before someone defines to it that it is like that. Hence whole definition is imaginary. In reality its just voltage levels.

I don't happen to have a source for this, but it is easy to understand even without one.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

A computer does not understand anything else but a difference in voltage. It doesn't understand no voltage means 0 or that 3V would means 1 or that 5V would mean 2 before someone defines to it that it is like that. Hence whole definition is imaginary. In reality its just voltage levels.

I don't happen to have a source for this, but it is easy to understand even without one.
That is completely unrelated to this. A bit can represent two values. That's it. You can make 0V represent 00, 3V represent 01 and 5V represent 10 by doing an analogue-to-digital conversion, but that's about as close as you're gonna get with bits.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-09-12 16:49:05)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

That is completely unrelated to this. A bit can represent two values. That's it. You can make 0V represent 00, 3V represent 01 and 5V represent 10 by doing an analogue-to-digital conversion, but that's about as close as you're gonna get with bits.
What would you call the X in this:

- A
X       - B
         - C
         - D
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

- A
X       - B
         - C
         - D
I would use a two-bit system, calling A 00, B 01, C 10 and D 11.

Assuming that X has a value of B, X is equal to 01.
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

- A
X       - B
         - C
         - D

Now, what would you call the selector X. not make it like this which is what is used in binary system.

-X   -0
   -X     
       -X   -0

^ How its done atm. But define the name of the X in the upper system.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-09-12 17:01:13)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

- A
X       - B
         - C
         - D

Now, what would you call the selector X. not make it like this which is what is used in binary system.

-X   -0
   -X     
       -X   -0

Sorry, I'm not following you now.

And I still don't quite see what this has to do with the definition of the term 'bit'.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-09-12 17:05:35)

GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

-X   -0
   -X     
       -X   -0

you call the 2-way selector a bit, what would you call the 4.way selector if not a bit?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

-X   -0
   -X     
       -X   -0

you call the 2-way selector a bit, what would you call the 4.way selector if not a bit?
I would call it a value.
IrishGrimReaper
Field Marshal | o |
+142|6737|Ireland | Monaghan

https://www.sciweavers.org/files/imagecache/game_theory_xo.JPG
x and o's anyone?
Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 4GHz || 3x2 GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3 || 80GB Intel X25-M Gen 2 || KFA2 GTX 480 1536Mb ||| Samsung T220 || Xonar DX 7.1 || AV 40 || P6T Deluxe V2 || Win 7 HP 64 Bit || Lian Li P80
GC_PaNzerFIN
+528|6430|Finland

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I would call it a value.
thats the funny part as a bit is selector in the 2-way system, and its a selector in the 4-way system. This is what I have been after. The definition is flexible.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6675|BC, Canada
wooohoooo
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6213|Winland

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

I would call it a value.
thats the funny part as a bit is selector in the 2-way system, and its a selector in the 4-way system. This is what I have been after. The definition is flexible.
A bit can have two values. That is all. If we add more values it is no longer a binary digit. Give me a proper explanation that doesn't require the use of a head for how a binary digit can have more than two values or gtfo.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-09-12 17:17:00)

Guardian_Ekim
I'm a god damn American Jedi
+51|6565|775

I have an 8GB PNY USB storage device that I bought from Office Depot for about $30 US a few months ago. I remember when 512MB sticks sold for about $100+
i got a 8gb stick at best buy for 20$ a few weeks ago ...works just fine.
Overdose
+13|6130|Fort Worth, TX
these sticks are awesome. up to 30mb/s read!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi … =0&y=0
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6359
Well. I chose the sandisk one. Good transfer rates and that ominous U3. Thanks everyone.

I still odn´t have a clue what the bit discussion was about though.loltech
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
GCFC
Davide Santon
+45|5945|NY/CT
glad to help
/thread?
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6359

GCFC wrote:

glad to help