Vub
The Power of Two
+188|6495|Sydney, Australia
Hi guys, I'm running ADSL2+ with a local ISP (TPG) and I have always averaged ~6000kb/s. However, since last month, this speed has fallen to ~1000kb/s and whenever I pick up my telephone there is a lot of line noise. I have done isolation tests by removing all of the ADSL filters but it's still slow.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation please?

Thanks.
Vub
The Power of Two

jamiet757 wrote:

Call your provider, seems like someone might be stealing it? (if that is possible, idk?)
Yeah that's what I thought initially, but there are more plausible explanations right?

EDIT: also I will call them tomorrow, but they'll probably tell me it's my modem and try sell me one of theirs.

Last edited by Vub (2009-09-06 10:19:27)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6454|The Twilight Zone
Did you do a speed test?
http://www.speedtest.net/
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
mikkel
+383|6602
It sounds like you have an issue either somewhere in your home, or somewhere between the demarcation point and your provider's DSLAM. If you haven't done so yet, try to hook your modem up to the jack closest to where the wiring enters your home, and see if that helps. If it doesn't, you probably need to call your ISP and have them send a technician to measure the line.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6650

It's an issue with the line, call your phone company and get them to sort it.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6512|Gold Coast

Vub wrote:

~6000kb/s.
Uhhhh..... Is that even possible in this country?
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Hakei
Banned
+295|5996
Yeah what the fuck, I get 160 kb/s and that's madshit hot.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6844|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Hakei wrote:

Yeah what the fuck, I get 160 kb/s and that's madshit hot.
Lucky you, I only get 100 kb/s
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia

KuSTaV wrote:

Vub wrote:

~6000kb/s.
Qfe.

Vub, is the local exchange across the road?
Rod Foxx
Warblgarbl
+78|5984|Perth, Australia
It's seems fairly apparent he's talking bits not bytes.

Well my knowledge of TPG is that they are really terrible for line contention. So they might have added more people to your line?

Otherwise is there any construction happening nearby? The house next door to me was demolished and during the rebuild they fucked up and we lost telephone for two weeks.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6512|Gold Coast

Rod Foxx wrote:

It's seems fairly apparent he's talking bits not bytes.

Well my knowledge of TPG is that they are really terrible for line contention. So they might have added more people to your line?

Otherwise is there any construction happening nearby? The house next door to me was demolished and during the rebuild they fucked up and we lost telephone for two weeks.
lol What a bunch of idiots.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Vub
The Power of Two
I called them up today and they got me to do another isolation test, served no purpose though, still slow.

Also I'm >2km from the exchange, but it's ADSL2+ guys, theoretically it can reach 24mbps, not quite sure why you guys are getting 100kbps.

Latest speed test is 1600kb/s which is about 200 Kb/s.

@Rod Foxx, it started a month ago, and I am not aware of any construction nearby.

Last edited by Vub (2009-09-07 03:39:54)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6440|King Of The Islands

KuSTaV wrote:

Vub wrote:

~6000kb/s.
Very. 6Mbit is a very average connection for ADSL2+. Internode's giraph says he's 3.3Km away from the exchange.

The big B means Byte.
The little b means bit.

We're getting 100KB/s because we're on 1500kbps.

Protip: for real world performance you divide your connection by 10, not 8.

Is your voice service fuxed? If so you can ring Telstra (on that very line) and get them to look at it. I've done that many times but now they've given up and say it must be my house (all that ol' CAT6 must be the problem, eh?).
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
jsnipy
+3,276|6523|...

I'm not sure how it is there, but do you have a telephone interchange box outside your house/apt with a phone jack in it? If so try testing from there; this would rule out any wiring in your home.

I know you mentioned the phone compan doing tests, I wasn't sure if they were on site.
Cheez

jsnipy wrote:

I'm not sure how it is there, but do you have a telephone interchange box outside your house/apt with a phone jack in it? If so try testing from there; this would rule out any wiring in your home.

I know you mentioned the phone compan doing tests, I wasn't sure if they were on site.
We ain't that high-tech.

Here that's called a pit. It literally is a hole in the ground where two chunks of wire are rammed together and wrapped in plastic.

Oh and a mega fine if we touch the high-precision equipment held within

Last edited by Cheez (2009-09-07 04:19:29)

Vub
The Power of Two

Cheez wrote:

jsnipy wrote:

We ain't that high-tech.

Here that's called a pit. It literally is a hole in the ground where two chunks of wire are rammed together and wrapped in plastic.

Oh and a mega fine if we touch the high-precision equipment held within
Dude are you in Melbourne? I'm headed down there at the end of the month!

Also, I'll call up Telstra and ask them to test line quality, thanks for all your help guys, there's plenty of ideas here to keep me hopeful for awhile.
Cheez

Protip: Don't mention you have ADSL2 with another provider.
Vub
The Power of Two

Cheez wrote:

?

Telstra isn't my provider.
Cheez

Vub wrote:

Cheez wrote:

?

Exactly. As soon as you mention ADSL they will look into it and see you're with TPG and do jack shit.

Bitch about your phone and only your phone.
Vub
The Power of Two

Cheez wrote:

Vub wrote:

Cheez wrote:

?

Exactly. As soon as you mention ADSL they will look into it and see you're with TPG and do jack shit.

Bitch about your phone and only your phone.
Oh right, thanks mate.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6273
Same here OP. I called them, their excuse was "I am too far away from their center thingie." Bullcrap, my connection was fine 1 month ago and now suddenly my home teleported somewhere out of Athens.
Vub
The Power of Two

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

Same here OP. I called them, their excuse was "I am too far away from their center thingie." Bullcrap, my connection was fine 1 month ago and now suddenly my home teleported somewhere out of Athens.
So what are you going to do about it now?
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6273

Vub wrote:

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

I really do not know. Troubleshooting by phone didn't work. If the problem does not resolve itself in a week, then I'll call them to send in a technician, which would cost me 50 euros.

Fuck it. I can bear playing counter strike with 160 ping. Besides, school is starting soon, it would be best to leave my bad habits behind
Vub
The Power of Two

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

Vub wrote:

Metal-Eater-GR wrote:

I really do not know. Troubleshooting by phone didn't work. If the problem does not resolve itself in a week, then I'll call them to send in a technician, which would cost me 50 euros.

Fuck it. I can bear playing counter strike with 160 ping. Besides, school is starting soon, it would be best to leave my bad habits behind
Best of luck with that.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard