CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6139|Carnoustie MASSIF

ATG wrote:

He makes B movies. Always has, always will.
wat, you joking?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command
A " B " movie is that which is not meant to be taken uber seriously.

Tarintino is a fan of b movies, and that's what he makes.

The film failed at being artsy, and the pointing out of various german officers with the bad ms paint style captions was laughable. The scenes were plodding and drawn out way too long. The german sniper character seemed to serve no purpose to the story other than to be a distraction. The dialog was onerous and the bastards a sorry bit player in a movie named for them.

All in all, it was terrible. The spagetti western sound track seemed altogether lost in the film and the last scene was a " if all else fails gross them out " trick favored by other schlock film makers like Stephen King. I could barely stay awake through it. At eleven dollars a ticket even.

What a complete waste.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6546|Long Island, New York
ITT: ATG doesn't understand Quentin Tarantino movies
ATG
Banned
Pulp fiction was brilliant. IG reminds me of the remake of king kong;  it had too much peter jackson in it.
Defiance
+438|6679

ATG wrote:

A " B " movie is that which is not meant to be taken uber seriously.

Tarintino is a fan of b movies, and that's what he makes.

The film failed at being artsy, and the pointing out of various german officers with the bad ms paint style captions was laughable. The scenes were plodding and drawn out way too long. The german sniper character seemed to serve no purpose to the story other than to be a distraction. The dialog was onerous and the bastards a sorry bit player in a movie named for them.

All in all, it was terrible. The spagetti western sound track seemed altogether lost in the film and the last scene was a " if all else fails gross them out " trick favored by other schlock film makers like Stephen King. I could barely stay awake through it. At eleven dollars a ticket even.

What a complete waste.
So, I guess you went in expecting something like Planet Terror but in WW2 and with Brad Pitt?
ATG
Banned
Na, I was hoping for a blood bath, not a sleeper with half the dialog in subtitles.
Defiance
+438|6679

ATG wrote:

Na, I was hoping for a blood bath, not a sleeper with half the dialog in subtitles.
I admit that the adverts make the film seem quite different then it is. I disliked District 9 the way you dislike I.B. because I formed an assumption based on the trailers. While it would be nice if the trailer would stay accurate to the movies, it seems prejudgment really gets in the way of enjoying a movie.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
Kill Bill Vol. 1 was the bloodbath. I certianly wasn't expecting a whole lot of violence from the commericals.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6693|United States of America
Well, as you might have guessed, I loved it. IMO it was a piece of filmmaking on par with Reservoir Dogs (though I don't think it will be held as classic as that by history since RD was the first like no one had seen before). It certainly wasn't a predictable film. I had seen the trailers and done some reading but still was taken by surprise by several aspects of the story. It was also a heck of a lot funnier than I thought it would be, despite Tarantinos liberal injection of humor into his previous ones. It also had a bit of a Kelly's Heroes vibe in it, which I liked a lot. In general, it's a great film for fans of movies.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
My favorite scene was probably the basement tavern. Quite an interesting turn of events that transpires there.
Also, on subtitles: I understood a lot more German than I thought I would, but even I was sitting in the middle of a decent-sized theater without my glasses and still was able to read them, so I don't know what you're on about there, Mr. Grape.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England
It was ok, an entertaining film. As my mate put it, it was essentially a film of the ideal way the Americans would have wanted the war to end. Some good scenes. Particularly the scene where she shoots him in the projection box, but then he's not dead and all that, I thought that bit was good. And Pitt's performance was hilarious, especially his southern Italian attempted speaking, that was just magic

It could've been so much better though. IMO. If it had less of a silly alternate history storyline and more of just Allied soldiers fucking shit up for the Nazi's, then Tarantino could've made more of the film.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6663

Mekstizzle wrote:

As my mate put it, it was essentially a film of the ideal way the Americans would have wanted the war to end.

Mekstizzle wrote:

It could've been so much better though. IMO. If it had less of a silly alternate history storyline and more of just Allied soldiers fucking shit up for the Nazi's, then Tarantino could've made more of the film.
That's where I disagree completely. Tarantino is known for his great storytelling and interesting dialog. If it was more about the Basterds killing Nazis and just killing everyone on sight, that would've become just another boring summer blockbuster WWII movie. I'm sure with Tarantino though, it would've been much more entertaining.. but he already did that on Kill Bill. No point in doing more of the same.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6658
Seen it twice and I thought it was great!
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6281
I liked it.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6658

It was great, I really enjoyed it.
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6747|Pakistan/England
excellent movie, the actor playing Landa was top notch. big fan of Tarantino movies anyways. definitely recommended to see in the theatres!
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6701
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I liked those awesome giant crowbars the Black dude had. I want a crowbar like that. I also want to bang out Shoshana. When the dudes pretended to be Italian and did the "wtf" fingers I lol'd so much.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2009-09-08 22:51:26)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard