Poll

Why dont u people use VOIP?

i do68%68% - 111
i dont31%31% - 50
Total: 161
H0ly(rap
+10|6765|Nebraska
I am just wondering y it seems that most people dont use voip, i mean comon do u understand the benifits of it.

1)  u can talk! ( it is a huge help in a heli with a guner, so u can communicate, not to mention all the other situations u can use it in.)

2)  u dont have to use the radio commands ( if u do , u might be alerting the enemy to where u are!, i dont know how many times ive been able to save a flag or got a stray dog because i heard a
"SACATA HAVA DE JE!" "or a "SHUKARAN" or an aray of other unit commands.)

3)  and the fun of hearing other people, espically if their from europe or ausi (no offence but u guys have accents)

if u do use it great! keep using it,
if u dont, THEN START!

if there are other advantages then plz post em

also feel free to post ur expirences using voip, or from people not using it and u owning em!
jimbo21
+11|6696
with friends i know always
50 50 when i join squads i dont know anybody, depends on my agenda.
i do wish you could talk to "anybody" ur in a vehical with though, it can be anoying when someone not in ur squad is in ur jeep and u cant tell him there are 10 guys right in front of he sould be shooting at. i get tired of pressing q and spotting
iamtheoneneo
+16|6714
i use voip now - i didnt used to but i do now. it a good beneift to a squad and 9/10 times you can get stuff done better with voip
most people tho use teamspeak but in my opinion thats retarded
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6699|Teesside, UK
I used to use viop but since the last patch i cant get it to work.
dubbs
+105|6676|Lexington, KY
I use VoIP but not the one in the game.  When using it, my ping is all over the board.  Usally, I have a ping around 50, when I enabled VoIP in game, my ping rate was over well over 300 for most of the time, and we only had 4 people on it.  I prefer to use a different VoIP program, like TeamSpeak or Ventrillo, because if they crash you do not crash the entire game.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6667|Little Bentcock
i use it heaps, and i dont have troublwe with it at all, the first thing i do when i get in a chopper is invite them to my squad, so i can talk
LightMagic
Banned
+21|6707|Sheerness, UK
I would like to use voip but can't seem to get it working, the test works but when in game nothing after pressing b to talk.

How have you got your voip setup? or tips using voip.
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6772|Germany

Voip doesn't work for me, Teamspeak rulez!
DSRTurtle
+56|6730
VOIP doesn't support mic 2.  If I use mic 1, I go through a mic a month.  They get expensive after a while.  Teamspeak is cool
Beorn_23_7
Heathenish Foray
+22|6682|Upstate NY
I don't because my soundcard won't let me. However I'm working on a solution and will start using it when I get it working.
Souljah
+42|6712
ya voip is just a pain to try to get working...so me and my freinds just use TS.
Herackles
+33|6671
I know what VOIP and TS are for, but for someone who's new to all of this could anyone tell me exactly what's the difference between the two.
DSRTurtle
+56|6730
VOIP is limited to BF2 only or any other game that supports it for that game only.  Teamspeak can be used for any game or combination of games.  You can talk to people who aren't in any game but on the same teamspeak server and channel as you.  If teamspeak crashes, rarely, it shuts down, but doesn't shutdown the game like VOIP does.  Teamspeak, also allows you to find out what game and what server your friends are in before you start up a game to find them.  You can also send text messages in teamspeak if you want to send a url or if someone is having a mic or speaker problem.
Herackles
+33|6671
Seems like teamspeak has a lot more to offer than VOIP.  Thanks mate, I appreciate the helpful info.
{PAMD64}canuk
+0|6771
I use it when i am in a squad that uses it.
dubbs
+105|6676|Lexington, KY

DSRTurtle wrote:

VOIP is limited to BF2 only or any other game that supports it for that game only.  Teamspeak can be used for any game or combination of games.  You can talk to people who aren't in any game but on the same teamspeak server and channel as you.  If teamspeak crashes, rarely, it shuts down, but doesn't shutdown the game like VOIP does.  Teamspeak, also allows you to find out what game and what server your friends are in before you start up a game to find them.  You can also send text messages in teamspeak if you want to send a url or if someone is having a mic or speaker problem.
Want to make a little correction, in this topic VoIP is speaking about the VoIP feature in BF2.  Ventrillo, uses VoIP to transmit voices, I think TS uses it's own protocol. 

To the person who asked where to set up their mic, it is under Options.  You may want to turn you mic boost and transmit levels up.  When you press B you will see a green speaker under the mini map.  Some servers do not have VoIP enabled, since it takes up bandwidth.
DSRTurtle
+56|6730

dubbs wrote:

DSRTurtle wrote:

Want to make a little correction, in this topic VoIP is speaking about the VoIP feature in BF2.  Ventrillo, uses VoIP to transmit voices, I think TS uses it's own protocol. 

To the person who asked where to set up their mic, it is under Options.  You may want to turn you mic boost and transmit levels up.  When you press B you will see a green speaker under the mini map.  Some servers do not have VoIP enabled, since it takes up bandwidth.
All of them are transmitted over IP.  It's the amount of bandwidth they use.  VOIP in BF2 is not adjustable.  Teamspeak use of bandwidth is adjustable.  I'm not sure if ventrillo's use of bandwidth is adjustable.
LightMagic
Banned
+21|6707|Sheerness, UK
is teamspeak free and how do we know if the server we're going on uses teamspeak? and is there seperate channels for teamspeak
DSRTurtle
+56|6730

LightMagic wrote:

is teamspeak free and how do we know if the server we're going on uses teamspeak? and is there seperate channels for teamspeak
The teamspeak client is free.  The IP addresses for various servers using teamspeak are posted on their website or when you first join the server on the server info screen.  As to the various channels that depends on who is running the teamspeak server, as to passwords and how they are setup.  You will have to read the server info or website for their rules, passwords, and other info as required.
dubbs
+105|6676|Lexington, KY

DSRTurtle wrote:

dubbs wrote:

DSRTurtle wrote:

All of them are transmitted over IP.  It's the amount of bandwidth they use.  VOIP in BF2 is not adjustable.  Teamspeak use of bandwidth is adjustable.  I'm not sure if ventrillo's use of bandwidth is adjustable.
I should have worded the sentenced different.  Because VoIP needs a lot of bandwidth, and to reduce the amount of lag each player experiences, some servers do not enable this option.

Last edited by dubbs (2006-04-09 17:47:13)

clncmmndr
+5|6819|Laguna Beach, CA
I do use VoIP, but I've been having recent issues with the Microsoft Speech sapi.cpl and sapi.dll files which disable any VoIP usage. It's really getting me depressed and frustrated - it sucks.

For some reason though, CSS VoIP still works.

And Microsoft doesn't offer any hotfixes for free - you gotta call and pay $99 for 7-day periphial support. Damn you, Billy Gates!!!! Damn you to hell!!!!1111!1!!111oneoneone
Fuzzball_the_Shooter
The Photographer.
+81|6749|Central Valley,California
I only use VOIP when playing with friends, my voice is so kiddish, because I'm a kid.
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6679|Ames, IA
I use the teamspeak because when I'm in a jet, chopper or in the heat of battle my hands are often full and it's helpful to not have to shift your concentration to hold a button to talk.  In an intense gun battle when I need reinforcing or need to update nearby squad members I often can't afford to give up my right strafe for a second.
Ali
Official Hell Bound Turbo Action Club Member
+17|6754|Gütersloh, Germany
As said before, BF2 doesn't support any other input than Mic1 but the jack of my front panel is Mic2 and I will not plug in my headset at the rear of my computer when I can use the front panel.
Mj.Blindfisch
Bulletdrop-Buddha
+338|6741|Germany
Show me a way to get the damn VoIP running with my onboard AC97 and I'm gonna use it,until then I'm limited to teamspeak and talking just to buddies instead the whole team.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard