_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6720|Riva, MD
So I want to buy Northern Strike but I see this "Extended Download Service" thing in the shopping cart for an extra $5.99 with a little What's This button next to it.

This shit reads:

"EA Store – download EA games direct to your PC! Think of this as your digital safety net for those unexpected occurrences – like your hard drive frying or a virus infection. EDS means that with the purchase of your digital product, your download will be available for five full years from the date of purchase. This is an extension to the complimentary coverage we provide for one year with any digital purchase from the EA STORE. You’ll gain peace of mind knowing that we have your program stored and ready for you to download again at your convenience!

A little extra protection on your order to keep your products safe? Why not!"

So does this mean I have to pay them 5.99 to be able to reinstall my game for 5 years?  This looks pretty fucked up.  I don't LEASE games, I BUY them

Is there any way to back all of this up to a disk so I don't have to have to deal with it ever again?

Last edited by _j5689_ (2009-08-10 15:44:13)

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6719
when you d/l northern strike it leaves a full copy of the expansion...
You can just save the  northern strike.exe somewhere on your hard drive or a backup cd/dvd and install it as many times as you want.
Love is the answer
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6847|Reykjavík, Iceland.
You get a fully working cd key, so you can just pirate it and reinstall it IIRC.

Last edited by Sydney (2009-08-10 15:47:36)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6635|949

Yeah I believe the license agreement is only for 1 year.  If you have to reformat or wipe your HD and for some reason you failed to make a backup copy, then you would have to reinstall.  Just make sure you copy to DVD or disk or an external HD, and you should have no worries.

You don't have to pay them anything extra as long as you are proactive enough to create a backup copy.  I'd recommend writing your activation code on the CD and/or keeping it somewhere handy.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6720|Riva, MD
Someone will have to tell me exactly what files to save
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6635|949

Just save the whole folder if it DL's to a new one.  Should be like EA GAMES/BF2142/Northern Strike or something like that.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6719
It's just the .exe northern strike file... It's around 160mb...   I will be on my comp soon and can tell you the exact directory to find it if someone
hasn't by the time i do...

Last edited by [TUF]Catbox (2009-08-10 15:53:57)

Love is the answer
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6418|Finland

I just installed NS after over a year period of not gaming it and a reformat. All you gotta do is log back in with EA download manager, download the isntaller again, isntall NS and patch the game again and GO GAME!

edit: like said, jsut back the shit up at somepoint within 5 years = profit.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-08-10 16:27:49)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6719
I just use the .exe from northern strike... I don't use the EA downloader at all...
Love is the answer
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6418|Finland

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

I just use the .exe from northern strike... I don't use the EA downloader at all...
Yeah neither would have I but I forgot on which HDD it was (many HDDs piled in shelf).
Now I have the .exe on my main HDD too.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2009-08-10 17:57:16)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
killaer
+41|6721
What the fuck are you all talking about? I've had NS for a while, all you do after you reinstall windows or whatever is re-download from the EA store.
Longbow
+163|6650|Odessa, Ukraine

killaer wrote:

What the fuck are you all talking about? I've had NS for a while, all you do after you reinstall windows or whatever is re-download from the EA store.
Thats true if you donwloaded NS circa ~2007. After 2007, you have to pay like 10-20% of the game/expansion price for file storage at EA downloader servers. And yes, it sounds like bullshit and noone does so.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard