wotg
Mr
+3|5403|Norway
Right i have taken a bold step, i`m trying to master helo and jets.
I have played quite a bit of different flightsims. But i can`t for the life of me get the upper hand in a dogfight.
My missiles don`t seem to be hitting anything at all.
I find it especially hard when i`m going up against the J-10.
As for using my machine gun. I find it hard to aim for long enough time to get the kill.
I have looked at many of the youtube tutorials, but for the most part they are shite with crappy techno music...
Where can i find a really good helo and jet tutorial?

Thanks
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6808|Nårvei

wotg wrote:

Right i have taken a bold step, i`m trying to master helo and jets.
I have played quite a bit of different flightsims. But i can`t for the life of me get the upper hand in a dogfight.
My missiles don`t seem to be hitting anything at all.
I find it especially hard when i`m going up against the J-10.
As for using my machine gun. I find it hard to aim for long enough time to get the kill.
I have looked at many of the youtube tutorials, but for the most part they are shite with crappy techno music...
Where can i find a really good helo and jet tutorial?

Thanks
Practice in SP first ... learn the moves and where to aim using bombs or the machinegun ... only hours and more hours is what it takes ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6379|the land of bourbon
search this site... there are countless guides to dogfighting.  the bottom line is practice, expect to have at least 50 hours of flight time before you can start learning how to fight.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Ec0li
Vagina face
+167|5997|London ㋛

As above, but use 64 player mod single player to practice as op clean sweep isn't great for practice. I find oman and wake on SP are good.

Link for mod is here.... http://www.fileplanet.com/156004/150000 … 4-Maps-Mod

I was going to link you to two really good heli tutorials but youtube has disabled sound on one of them making tutorial #2 pointless
wotg
Mr
+3|5403|Norway

steelie34 wrote:

search this site... there are countless guides to dogfighting.  the bottom line is practice, expect to have at least 50 hours of flight time before you can start learning how to fight.
50 Fing hours! I have like one hour in a jet, no wonder i`m a noob...
I have started joining servers with just 5 - 10 players, that way it`s a good chance i can get to a jet or helo. The bombing part is ok, but the dogfighting, machinegun and the guided rocket when using the helo - those things are damn hard to learn.
BTW i use a joystick when i fly.
thepilot91
+64|6234|Åland!

wotg wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

50 Fing hours! I have like one hour in a jet, no wonder i`m a noob...
I have started joining servers with just 5 - 10 players, that way it`s a good chance i can get to a jet or helo. The bombing part is ok, but the dogfighting, machinegun and the guided rocket when using the helo - those things are damn hard to learn.
BTW i use a joystick when i fly.
only use joystick for plane...mouse and keyboard for chopper, no question about it
d3x74
+14|6645|NY
It takes me about 2 hours just to get used to a new joystick.

Being good at the jet takes a lot of natural reflexes and it takes time to develop those reflexes. 100 hours is more like it. And even then at times it is impossible to shake of some persistent basterds in a dog fight. Just have to tire them out, Iceman style!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6151|what

Ignore every piece of advice the people above you have just given you.

After patch 1.50 the planes will handle differently and be "more balanced" according to EA...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Hakei
Banned
+295|5993

Last edited by Hakei (2009-08-27 07:52:50)

TuataraDude
+115|6521|Aotearoa
robcr9
+111|5979
ask IrishPride, herd he iz gud bf2 jetman. mby he teech u gud 2 m8 hehehe
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6529

robcr9 wrote:

ask IrishPride, herd he iz gud bf2 jetman. mby he teech u gud 2 m8 hehehe
lel
Axatar
+29|6460|France
have fun

Watch especially the 1v1 parts.

Last edited by Axatar (2009-08-31 14:33:14)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6189|Contae Chorcaí | Éire

thepilot91 wrote:

only use joystick for plane...mouse and keyboard for chopper, no question about it
i challenge that statement but seriously, you can do whatever feels best to you as i can't for the life of me use the joystick!!!

@wotg: yes, it takes hours of practice and imo rudders play a crucial part in MG'ing anything or bombing
wotg
Mr
+3|5403|Norway
Thanks for the great tips. links and videos guys
wotg
Mr
+3|5403|Norway
OK guys i`ve been doing some flying lately
Some things i have noticed and want to share.
For you experts these tips might sound basic, but bare with me:
1. Learn the map you are playing on. Know how to get back to base from all points of the map, upside down, sideways etc.
2. Fly higher than you do now.
3. Practice on Operation clean sweep until you get enough skills to play with other players.
4. Learn to use the cannon and don`t care to much about the reticule, look at where the tracer rounds go.
5. when gunning objects on the ground start at at least 300ft altitude, that gives you more time to aim and steady yourself.
6. When you are making passes, fly far enough away from you object so that when you turn or loop you ll have enough time to prepare.
7. Use a joystick.
8. Don`t panic when you get the missile lock sound.
9. Practice evasive maneuvers, rolls, loops, splits, immelman, the combine them.
10. Set up you joystick so that one of your hat switches toggles the different views.
11. Always use the different views to look around you and get a good situational awareness.
12. As with the MG practice bombing until you can comfortably hit from different heights, speeds and angles.

As i said these tips might sound obvious, but it might help someone that`s new to the whole jet thing, especially now that there are so many new vehicle servers about.

Last edited by wotg (2009-09-10 10:07:50)

Lynx
Banned
+15|5347|Coventry, England
Thanks for that you improved my game by 62%
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin
A tip from me wotg. Always fly with your secondary weapon being bombs. If you need to use AA missiles first get in a good position with the aerial target then switch to missiles, this prevents alerting the enemy that you're on his ass and giving him time to maneuver his way out of your fire.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Lynx
Banned
+15|5347|Coventry, England

War Man wrote:

A tip from me wotg. Always fly with your secondary weapon being bombs. If you need to use AA missiles first get in a good position with the aerial target then switch to missiles, this prevents alerting the enemy that you're on his ass and giving him time to maneuver his way out of your fire.
If your secondary weapons is bombs your primary is missiles, which will alert the enemy that you're on his ass and give him time to maneuver his way out of your life.
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5866|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
Like irish said in the other thread there isnt a need to ever really go in missile mode any more, better to use cannons and not alert them at all its just as quick to kill with cannons as it is with missiles now anyway, and if you keep owning the enemy jet with only cannons they're going to be a bit annoyed and probably not even bother spawning for the jet any more anyway
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6651
Don't bother with J-10 vs. F-35 or F-18. Play F-18/MiG-29 or F-35/MiG-29 only.

Use your fly-by camera as soon as your enemy goes out of your view

constantly switch between cameras when you're flying about outside of a fight

stay in bomb mode

If you spam missiles your second missile onwards will be locked on immediately, skipping lock-on time.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
wotg
Mr
+3|5403|Norway
Thanks guys. I find the get lock on an enemy, switch to bomb mode to think hes escaped and back to misile mode quite effective. It fools the other player quite often.
I`m really having a hard time taking down those choppers though. Any tips there?
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6712|Purplicious Wisconsin

Lynx wrote:

War Man wrote:

If your secondary weapons is bombs your primary is missiles, which will alert the enemy that you're on his ass and give him time to maneuver his way out of your life.
I'm referring by the machine gun being the primary weapons and missiles and bombs being secondary. Don't fucking flame me for me thinking in those terms.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5786|Catherine Black

wotg wrote:

Thanks guys. I find the get lock on an enemy, switch to bomb mode to think hes escaped and back to misile mode quite effective. It fools the other player quite often.
I`m really having a hard time taking down those choppers though. Any tips there?
Spot them, fly off on a tangent, get as far away (while still knowing where they are) turn back and start shooting with bomb mode on (so they don't evade) with cannons. Aim for the cockpit.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
+139|5424|Dublin, Ireland

Finray wrote:

wotg wrote:

Spot them, fly off on a tangent, get as far away (while still knowing where they are) turn back and start shooting with bomb mode on (so they don't evade) with cannons. Aim for the cockpit.
First bit of sound advice Finray has provided regarding BF2.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard