Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5703|College Park, MD
I've been thinking, how different are gangs such as the Crips and MS13 from the terrorist Sunni and Shiite factions in Iraq? They fight amongst each other and against other gangs for the sole reason that they're different. They trade drugs and commit serious crimes. They have no remorse for killing. I wouldn't mind if they just killed each other off, but unfortunately innocent people are caught in the crossfire.

Is there really any difference between a gang shooting up a house as a 'warning' and Sunni extremists setting off a bomb in a Shiite neighborhood as a 'warning'? Should law enforcement authorities and the government treat gang members no differently than terrorists? Because quite frankly, some of the shit that MS13 does is far more of a threat to national security than some hotheaded extremist in Afghanistan.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6412|'Murka

From a sectarian perspective, they do seem quite similar.

However, from an objective/goal perspective, they are quite different. I think it's the political aspect that makes them terrorists, at least according to most definitions of the word, anyway.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I've been thinking, how different are gangs such as the Crips and MS13 from the terrorist Sunni and Shiite factions in Iraq? They fight amongst each other and against other gangs for the sole reason that they're different. They trade drugs and commit serious crimes. They have no remorse for killing. I wouldn't mind if they just killed each other off, but unfortunately innocent people are caught in the crossfire.

Is there really any difference between a gang shooting up a house as a 'warning' and Sunni extremists setting off a bomb in a Shiite neighborhood as a 'warning'? Should law enforcement authorities and the government treat gang members no differently than terrorists? Because quite frankly, some of the shit that MS13 does is far more of a threat to national security than some hotheaded extremist in Afghanistan.
Absolutely, yes it should, and dealt with accordingly, a great idea.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

FEOS wrote:

From a sectarian perspective, they do seem quite similar.

However, from an objective/goal perspective, they are quite different. I think it's the political aspect that makes them terrorists, at least according to most definitions of the word, anyway.
True. But again, most gangs are looking to gain 'power.' Be it controlling masses of land or drug trades. Not to mention it's been well-documented that gangs (especially MS13) have killed federal law officers (like border patrol officers) in order to further their agenda. Doesn't sound too different (be it from a sectarian or objective perspective) than islamic extremists killing ISAF troops in order to control masses of land.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
Well, usually terrorism is defined as having political change as its primary objective.  These groups usually are seeking money as their primary objective.

Their methods are similar, but motivations and objectives are very different.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-08-21 13:21:03)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
No, these guys don't go and mass target civilians. Maybe the odd civilians catches a stray bullet, and maybe they shake down lots of people. But it's different from waking up, blowing up a mall and getting your point across. I'd wager that most Americans, or even most people, don't even fully understand what terrorism actually is anymore. The word has been used so much for so many things now, it's practically lost all its meaning since the 11th September attacks.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5586

No mainly because we'll get a bunch of dumbasses like this who'll claim the police labeling gangs as terrorist groups a conspiracy to kill black people, poor people, urban youth, etc.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6530|Global Command
Yes. They are political; cartels back mexicans in local elections knowing political change is easier than a frontal assault.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6622|London, England
It's interesting that terrorists is usually reserved for the Middle East only, maybe parts of Asia. Whereas for Africa, it's Militia or Rebels. And if it's South America, it's usually Guerrillas or Rebels. If it's the west, they're usually just given the title of Criminal in some form.

Then again, they're all different things. They could all be interchanged with each other depending on your definition of what all those things are though.

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-08-21 16:27:28)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Macbeth wrote:

No mainly because we'll get a bunch of dumbasses like this who'll claim the police labeling gangs as terrorist groups a conspiracy to kill black people, poor people, urban youth, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwfxTCN5V4
Well maybe black people, poor people and urban youth shouldn't join gangs then. There are plenty of other more constructive things to do with one's life. If they want a big brother they can look to the Big Brother Big Sister foundation. If they want some sort of structure to their life they can join the military (which is not only far more structured than some fucking gang but also much more honorable and actually marketable). If they want money they can make like every other person and get a JOB.

And gangs come in all colors anyway. Aryan Brotherhood, Crips, MS13... I can't think of an Asian one but I'm sure they exist.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6717
Same means tbh.

Either way I think gangs are the cancerous parasite in society. If it were up to me, Marshall law in high gang areas. Send in the fucking National Guard yo, they have a reason to defend America from enemies foreign and domestic.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

Macbeth wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UwfxTCN5V4
Oh if only...  j/k 
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6107|eXtreme to the maX
Terrorists should be dealt with under criminal law, so no big deal either way.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6448|Chicago, IL
Absolutely, I've advocated this point for a long time, the two groups function almost identically, only the final goal of the organizations is different.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6652|USA

Dilbert_X wrote:

Terrorists should be dealt with under criminal law, so no big deal either way.
Of course, it is the NYPD that should be investigating the 911 terror attacks, the US govt. and its military should mind its own business.
pilebomb
+8|6120

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Should law enforcement authorities and the government treat gang members no differently than terrorists? Because quite frankly, some of the shit that MS13 does is far more of a threat to national security than some hotheaded extremist in Afghanistan.
I completely agree. Maybe then some "troubled urban youth" wouldn't see joining a gang as their best option in life.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6549|San Diego, CA, USA
OP: Yes

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard