Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6722|Toronto, ON
This is a sniper guide.

Common rules that are WRONG:

RULE 1: Always use M24/L96A1. Don't use M95/SVD/Type88
This is the dumbest rule-of-thumb I ever heard.  The M95 has the capability to bring ANY classes health down to TWO bars, switch to the uber accurate pistol and pop him off.  Compared with the other sniper rifles, the M95 has the LOWEST amount of bullet drop (L96A1 has the MOST).  To those who say SVD and Type 88 are useless sniper rifles, those people are WRONG. 

RULE 2: Find a good hiding spot
This is BS.  A normal sniper would climb to roofs, or hide through bushes.  But since you're reading this, normal is out of the question.  A DEADLY sniper is one who is IN the battlefield AHEAD of the assault and support classes.  In this game, a good hiding spot can easily become the best checked spot if the other team is headed by an aggressive player or a smart commander.  Seriously speaking though, roofs... no.

RULE 3: Breathe, take aim, shoot
Wow, whoever invented that ideology needs to go to back to WTF 101.  To be as DEADLY as me, you need to have deadly fast reflexes.  That means you need a mouse that has a very low DPI for more accuracy.  I suggest an MX518/G5/RaZer mouse for this job.  For practice, take shots at running targets (running side to side, not those easy run-towards/run-away targets that everyone hails).  The M95 bullets have much faster travel velocity than the other sniper rifles which means less aiming prediction (there is more involved to this, there is also latency compensation but that is a whole other story).

RULE 4: Don't move or make sudden movements so they won't spot you
This is a rule which was probably from the same guy who made Rule 3.  You know what happens if you don't move? Nyte[M95]You (Even if you moved... Nyte[M95]You since I'm an exception).  The best way to avoid fire is to move side to side ALOT.  The following order is what I do to avoid dying from the other proned-not-moving sniper:

Prone
Shoot
If missed, then tap crouch, and move to either side about half a meter
Shoot while standing up
If missed, jump and hold crouch then tap prone.
Shoot

If you can't make it in 3 shots, read RULE 3 and try the suggestions until you master RULE 4.

RULE 5: Snipers don't capture flags
Fuck you yes they do.  Snipers are the 2nd most powerful unit for capturing flags losing only to Armor users.  You have 2 claymores which are basically going to push out any opposition advancing to kill you.  Just set it and forget it, while you are there holding your sniper rifle taking down farther targets advancing in.  A rule of thumb though, NEVER place claymores facing the same way near each other, else both will get set off.

RULE 6: Snipers should always stay in the back
While this may be true in some games, it isn't in here.  Doing this will not only make you useless for the team, but it make you bored real damn fast. Why useless?  Because in the end, you don't accomplish alot for the team; no flag capping, no flag holding (maybe a little), most likely less kills than half of the team, and not enough fear being put in the enemy.  You should always stick to the front row and have your M95 out unzoomed.  You might say "I have no crosshair boohoo", I play with no damn crosshairs, they distract me.  Instead, you can dot the middle of your screen with a small sticker and now you have an uber accurate/powerful long/close ranged weapon at your fingertips.

Now that we got the misconceptions about snipers out of the way.  I'll show you the real rules:

RULE 1: Aim for the head as much as possible
Durka durka. Common sense.

RULE 2: Use claymores ALWAYS
Attacking a flag? Drop some around it, turning a popular corner? Let some loose.  Know some enemy spawnpoints? You know what to do.

RULE 3: The pistol is NOT useless
This is your BEST friend in tight situations.  Usually if you are face to face with an experienced shotgun user, you're dead (even I will die).  Against automatic rifle users, you have a good chance if you follow this:
NEVER stay in 1 spot while taking them down with a pistol
Circle them while targeting their upper torso
If you move behind them alot (by sprinting), you can actually disorient them giving you a greater advantage.

RULE 4: Take down the Chopper/Vehicle
You have a gun that has the potency to take out players in VEHICLES/CHOPPERS so USE IT.  If a vehicle is smoking, that is your chance to take pot shots at it to blow it up.  Same goes for choppers.  I recently stopped shooting at the vehicles when they're not smoking because I run out of ammo too fast.  Shoot only when it's smoking, against choppers, VERY EFFECTIVE.  Once in blue moon, you might even take out the pilot (unless you camp the chopper consistently, once a minute I guess).

RULE 5: Use grenades for M95'd targets
One great way to racking up the kills is chucking some grenades into hostile territory (they travel pretty damn far since the patch).  Since grenades will most likely take off more than 2 bars of life, you are pretty much guaranteed the next X amount of M95 kills.  OR if you have been giving body shots to alot of players and don't want to pistol duel their ass, chuck a grenade FTW.

RULE 6: Be the predator, not the idiot
Hit someone with an M95 but they ran away? Hunt their ass down with your pistol junior! It's a psychological effect for people to run and hide when they have 2 bars of HP left.  They are SCARED of you, they are most likely shaking their hands while holding the mouse.  To be effective, you want to lower the morale of the enemy by being CRAZY AGGRESSIVE; see a 6 man squad? Run in their with your claymore! See 5 snipers in the distance aiming at you? That's why M95 has 5 bullets!
I've seen many a player spraying for no apparent reason in the distance when I hit them in the body with my M95, I call that PHEAR.

That's all.

Last edited by Nyte (2006-04-07 18:11:08)

Alpha as fuck.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616
awesome guide

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-04-07 16:54:50)

The Buzz
Hired to kill... you... and you...and you
+8|6701|Québec, Canada
Guide is not very good but Nyte thinks he is good... lmfao
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6600|Washington, DC

I thought this guide is pretty good. Maybe not so straight-forward, but then again this guy seems a bit pompous... <3

The SVD and Type 88 are good because they're 10-headshot machines. Not to mention if you miss once, you have 9 shots left to spit out quickly. They're decently accurate, and work as small assault-rifles.
Rakasan
+7|6807|California, USA
I would like to take this moment to thank all the snipers for the free kills.  j/k, foos!
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

Nyte wrote:

Always use M95/L96A1. Don't use M95/SVD/Type88
Use the M95 but don't use the M95?? Besides that, nice guide. The only problem with it is that I'm not skilled enough to actually use your rules. I would get killed in a flash, because I am t3h suck.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

Homeschtar wrote:

Nyte wrote:

Use the M95 but don't use the M95?? Besides that, nice guide. The only problem with it is that I'm not skilled enough to actually use your rules. I would get killed in a flash, because I am t3h suck.
You ain't the only brother.....long live teh sucks!
Psycho~*DS*~
Banned
+50|6569
Crap ass guide. He just wants a thread to be "stickied". Terrible thread. I have a lot of hours as sniper, and this taught me nothing I didn't know all ready. Go get some skills.
Nyte
Legendary BF2S Veteran
+535|6722|Toronto, ON

Homeschtar wrote:

Nyte wrote:

Whoops, thanks for the heads up. Fixed to M24/L96A1.
Alpha as fuck.
Quicke
+3|6568
Got top score on Strike at Karkand 64p as a mec sniper with L96A1, got 22 kills before i died my first time. After that i got up to 38 kills before the round ended with 83 total points.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

Nyte wrote:

The M95 has the capability to bring ANY classes health down to TWO bars, switch to the uber accurate pistol and pop him off.
Finally Someone agres with Me there.

Nyte wrote:

This is BS.  A normal sniper would climb to roofs, or hide through bushes.  But since you're reading this, normal is out of the question.  A DEADLY sniper is one who is IN the battlefield AHEAD of the assault and support classes.
Very True. Ties In With Rule 3. on the Battlefield, u gotta have those good reflexes.

Nyte wrote:

Wow, whoever invented that ideology needs to go to back to WTF 101.
Please, from one Sniper to all yuou Snipers Out there. DONT STAY STILL WHILST RELOADING. TAKE SOME COVER!!!!!!!! It So Fucking Simple. But ya'll dont understand it.

Nyte wrote:

Fuck you yes they do.

Nyte wrote:

While this may be true in some games, it isn't in here.  Doing this will not only make you useless for the team, but it make you bored real damn fast.
Today I saw A Guy trying to Snipe in Karkand from the Square to the Very front line. His Score-0/0  My Score-6-1.(This Wasnt the whole round BTW).

Nyte wrote:

Durka durka. Common sense.

Nyte wrote:

Nyte wrote:

RULE 4: Take down the Chopper/Vehicle
It Is Actually Proven by Myself that a shot with a M95 to a Cobra does 11/2 bars damage. if hes smoking, hes probobly on 4/5 bars. 2 Shots and Youve got him smoking to the point where itll eventually blow up.

Nyte wrote:

RULE 6: Be the predator, not the idiot
Hit someone with an M95 but they ran away? Hunt their ass down with your pistol junior! It's a psychological effect for people to run and hide when they have 2 bars of HP left.  They are SCARED of you, they are most likely shaking their hands while holding the mouse.  To be effective, you want to lower the morale of the enemy by being CRAZY AGGRESSIVE; see a 6 man squad? Run in their with your claymore! See 5 snipers in the distance aiming at you? That's why M95 has 5 bullets!
I've seen many a player spraying for no apparent reason in the distance when I hit them in the body with my M95, I call that PHEAR.
Damn Straight

That was my analisation of Nytes Guide. 9/10 A+
senor_fulff
+25|6730|Yorkshire, UK.
guide from someone who is hardly god-like.
M95 is powerful but is inaccurate and noisy.
M24 or L96A1 are deadly accurate and still only require 1 extra pistol shot than M95 if you miss the headshot.
Type 88 and SVD are for people who can't hit headshots regularly. Pop guns.
L96A1 contrary to popular belief has less bullet drop than all other rifles.
Prodie
Moderator Emeritus
+270|6744|Nova Scotia, Canada

Psycho~*DS*~ wrote:

Crap ass guide. He just wants a thread to be "stickied". Terrible thread. I have a lot of hours as sniper, and this taught me nothing I didn't know all ready. Go get some skills.
Pwned!

You forgot to mention the numerous points about him being the best sniper ever too!
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
hey dont forgot the m95 and type 88's are great.  m95 is great for Ghost city and the type 88 is great on wake for me : ) .
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6668
This can't be right, the L9 has about the same bullet drop as m24 and the m95 has the most. It definately cannot have the least. i've tried on wake and i can shoot someone easier when they're running abou 500 meters away than i can when they're standing when they're only 200
-fe.lep-
+8|6673

Nyte wrote:

Too little to say, too many words to say it in.
VspyVspy
Sniper
+183|6643|A sunburnt country
Good guide for the way you like to play.

Nice tips in there, thanx
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6590|the side hatch
i thought it was a good guide, although a lot of people will have trouble fighting on the lines even with armor and a machine gun, much less with a bolt action rifle...i think a better title for the thread would be "a guide for good snipers who want to be better," as a lot of people who are sniping seem to be doing so because they fail at fast paced combat

Nyte wrote:

i have been using the L9 since it was the last gun i unlocked and i really like it, but the other night i happened to pick up a type88 because i was out of ammo and was topping a hill on wake and had several soldiers coming my way, maybe 30 yards off, and it was ridiculously easy to get three headshots off before they closed in on me...of course i had dropped my claymores before they dropped me and ended up taking out 5 or 6 guys...since then i have decided to start trying out the weaker rifles when the position calls for it, a headshot is a headshot
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6617
I think the problem with most sniper guides is people try to say that their way is most effective. There's more than one way to do it. I'd like a non-biased guide that offered manner different approaches that are effective. I just don't wanna write it.
racerx26
+0|6575
Pretty decent guide for an aggressive style of play.  Would be better if Nyte didn't sound so arrogant, though.  Different situations warrant a more defensive posture sometimes (e.g. defending a base from a distance while others cap flags).  Although attacking is a lot more fun
Todd_Angelo
Leukocyte
+336|6597|Warlord
Nyte's a pretty decent sniper and a lot of these tips are worth bearing in mind if you're a little weak on the tactical front. We've all seen snipers like that - hiding on rooftops/distant hillsides the whole time, ending up with a whopping 9 kills at the end of 20 minutes of gameplay.

Although some of these tips are universal I agree with the point these are not the way to play, just one of many ways to play effectively as sniper. Plus subtle modification to gameplay IAR can make all the difference; there are times when you're just not going to prevail against a squad or individual player by using one approach.

Nyte wrote:

Common rules that are WRONG:

Yeah, this is BS - all sniper rifles have a role.

Nyte wrote:

This is BS.
Not entirely but still a worthwhile point.

Nyte wrote:

Yeah, the mouse doesn't care if you breathe.

Nyte wrote:

RULE 4: Don't move or make sudden movements so they won't spot you
Depends on the situation but if they see you, hell yeah move.

Nyte wrote:

Fuck you yes they do.
Course they should, unless all you're playing for is kills and you don't care about the team's goals.

Nyte wrote:

You might say "I have no crosshair boohoo", I play with no damn crosshairs, they distract me.  Instead, you can dot the middle of your screen with a small sticker and now you have an uber accurate/powerful long/close ranged weapon at your fingertips.
But the unzoomed accuracy of sniper rifles sucks ass!

Nyte wrote:

Easier said than done but yeah.

Nyte wrote:

Hell yeah!

Nyte wrote:

RULE 3: The pistol is NOT useless
Excellent. Been there, been owned.

Nyte wrote:

To be effective, you want to lower the morale of the enemy by being CRAZY AGGRESSIVE...
You have no armour so this can easily get you killed in the wrong situation, especially if playing solo.

Nyte wrote:

see a 6 man squad? Run in their with your claymore!
Well, maybe at short range but at anything longer, against players of even average skill, you might be facing two M4s, an MG36 and a SAW, an M16 and an L85A1 - and you're toast.
rgraze
+6|6642
The M95 bullets have much faster travel velocity than the other sniper rifles which means less aiming prediction (there is more involved to this, there is also latency compensation but that is a whole other story).

So whats the story?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
One other thing: If you are on a hill, be on the front of the hill, not on the top... also, MEC tend to have dark camo, so stick to dark places, by dark i mean the actual texture of the ground is coloured dark. Not dark becuase of lighting (becuase some people have lighting set to low, like me, so there isnt really dark shadowy places), for USMC stick to lighter coloured terrain. This mainly goes for those maps where USMC are in desert camo and MEC are in some sort of mud camo.
TrueArchon
Enemy Sniper..." *BOOM* "Nevermind... got him...
+61|6564|Las Vegas, NV USA
Some interesting comments on the "guide" but too strict in feel for my tastes on a few issues.  I'm gonna comment on some stuff, but keep in mind I'm an avid sniper player.  However, I've also put a decent amount of time in the other "kit" roles to see the other side of things, as well.

Nyte wrote:

This is BS.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Not entirely but still a worthwhile point.
Gotta agree with Todd.  It's not BS if it's still practical to be in a good sniping position that happens to:

A.  Provide cover on at least two sides for you.
B.  Provide concealment from passive enemy searches.
C.  Is a spot that an enemy is not going to immediately assumed as a "usual" sniping environment (i.e. building tops, mountain tops, etc.).

Nyte wrote:

Fuck you yes they do. ....
Good point, but a sniper shouldn't be stupid about it, either.  Honestly, most of my deaths as a sniper can be attributed to lone flag capture attempts, and not for the lack of trying or decent tactics.  Plain and simple in this game...

Unless you're facing complete rookie players, three machine gun toting enemies are very likely gonna gun you down AND keep their flag... like it or not.

Nyte wrote:

.... Snipers are the 2nd most powerful unit for capturing flags losing only to Armor users. ....
Gotta disagree with you on both accounts.

Snipers and armor should be covering from a distance, and supporting a fire team to take the flag.  Sorry, but snipers, up close, without body armor, without a decent close range weapon, are looking to get killed (if not by enemy fire, but friendly fire as well).  A good sniper covers from a moderate distance, waits for the flag to neutralize, THEN moves in to finish the capture.  Not to mention he can spot out hidden enemies that he can see from his vantage point to the squad making the capture.

Likewise, the turrets of armor turn too slowly to avoid becoming a C4 sandwich to a sneaky spec-ops guy (let alone a mine-totting engineer) who just happened to spawn in behind you limited view.  Wasting valuable pieces of team equipment in such a manner doesn't help the team.

Nyte wrote:

.... You have 2 claymores which are basically going to push out any opposition advancing to kill you.  Just set it and forget it, while you are there holding your sniper rifle taking down farther targets advancing in.  A rule of thumb though, NEVER place claymores facing the same way near each other, else both will get set off.
Good points on the claymores... if you got them.  Same with taking out distant enemies looking to RETAKE a flag.  However, what about the enemies that just happened to spawn before you neutralize the flag?  Claymores are good, but not the end-all, be-all in reliability.  That's the problem with "fire and forget" munitions over a reactive squads, with heavy firepower, that are covering separate directions.

Nyte wrote:

While this may be true in some games, it isn't in here.  Doing this will not only make you useless for the team, but it make you bored real damn fast. Why useless?  Because in the end, you don't accomplish alot for the team; no flag capping, no flag holding (maybe a little), most likely less kills than half of the team, and not enough fear being put in the enemy.
I must reiterate my above comments to this.  A good flag-capturing sniper is one who supports a squad from a moderate distance... until flag neutralization.  A bad flag-capturing sniper is the lone Rambo that contributes to the team's ticket losses because he got outgunned.  From the other, above mentioned, extreme: if you're not making kills at a distance, at least you're not contributing to deaths either.  There has to be some middle ground and thought put into flag-capturing tactics.

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Course they should, unless all you're playing for is kills and you don't care about the team's goals.
Kills are just as important in the game as flag captures, because both take away from the ticket totals.  However, as you pointed out, overall team goal of winning is still important.  So, a sniper who ISN'T making kills isn't contributing to the overall team goal of winning.

Trust me, there are plenty of times that I've sat somewhere terrorizing a spawn point with kills that often resulted in a sniper-manhunt that ended in at least three enemy troops (and commander artillery strikes against lil' ole' me) gunning for me instead of capturing flags.  That's just as important a role as taking the flags, AND is often not even noticed by the rest of the team.

Nyte wrote:

To be effective, you want to lower the morale of the enemy by being CRAZY AGGRESSIVE...
Interesting, but very likely gonna get you killed against any good player who happens to get a quick three or four accurate rapid fire rounds against you.  Snipers aren't the only ones with "skills" out there, and meeting your nemesis who happens to be good with a G3 or SCAR can end you day just as easily.

Nyte wrote:

see a 6 man squad? Run in their with your claymore!

Todd_Angelo wrote:

Well, maybe at short range but at anything longer, against players of even average skill, you might be facing two M4s, an MG36 and a SAW, an M16 and an L85A1 - and you're toast.
Couldn't have said it much better, Todd.  Oh yeah, there's also that claymore "arming time" thing too.  Don't know how many claymores I've ran past, gunning down the sniper, without any reprisal.  Even if there happens to be a reprisal, what's the best you got in the end?  He got you, and you got him?

Nyte wrote:

RULE 6: Be the predator, not the idiot ...
HELL YEAH!!!  Following you so far...

Nyte wrote:

... Hit someone with an M95 but they ran away? Hunt their ass down with your pistol junior! ...
Huh?  You're starting lose me as reality rears it's ugly head in my peripheral.  You want me to give up the fact that I have position AND first strike initiative to get in closer to his machine-gun that lays down at least 600 rpm?  No thanks, I'll take the likely kill assist from safety, or a patient second shot kill, over the chance of rambo-like battle charge that ends in a possible death.  Heck, it's not even rambo-like... at least Rambo had dual M60s! 

Nyte wrote:

.... It's a psychological effect for people to run and hide when they have 2 bars of HP left.  They are SCARED of you, they are most likely shaking their hands while holding the mouse. ....
Honestly, it's not the rookie/newbies I'm worried about in your above "rule."  It's the G3 assault veteran who happens to realize that all he has to do is dodge around a bit until he deploys his smoke grenade in the general direction that he was hit from.  You're overall conclusive opinion that someone who is running around, dodging, and hiding as "scared" isn't taking into the simple account that a moving target is a harder target to hit.  ESPECIALLY when the sniper you're dodging against has position and first strike against you!

As amusing as it sounds, the person you may be assuming as "shaking their hand while holding the mouse" may just as likely be buying himself time to formulate a plan to take himself out of a dangerous disadvantage, and possible reverse the roles against you.  That's at least what I'd be doing.  :shrug:

Nyte wrote:

.... See 5 snipers in the distance aiming at you? That's why M95 has 5 bullets! ....
... And the 1.8 second bolt reload action vs. the needed two bullets (out of five shots) to kill you isn't a factor in your arithmetic? 

Nyte wrote:

... I've seen many a player spraying for no apparent reason in the distance when I hit them in the body with my M95, I call that PHEAR. ...
... And I've seen many a player (myself included) switch his G3/SCAR/AK-47 to semi-auto, drop to a crouch, fire one shot, take a side step, crouch, fire a second shot, and rinse-repeat until a kill was achieved.  Besides, if spraying happens to be your only option, would you rather foregoe that in favor of rolling up and exposing your soft underbelly in defeat?  Not I.  I'd rather at least go for a half-way lucky head shot instead.

Honestly, Nyte, for anyone to take you seriously on a "sniper guide," you need to make it seem less of a public gloat session.  No one's dismissing your talent with the sniper kit, especially if they look at your scores.  However, it's also not like you're going out there and smiting the infidels with your mighty sniper rifle without reprisal, either.  You make good points, but cheapin' them with comments like the last two I rebuttled too.
XstrangerdangerX
conversation is combat
+36|6599|Tasmania
I like Nyte's attitude!

Good stuff. I just unlocked the M95 so I'll put some of that into practice.

Cheers mate.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard