B. Sm436pdws31%31% - 20
C. LCR-9C 5.56x4512%12% - 8
D. Talon PDW28%28% - 18
E. USMC M9A 5.7mm20%20% - 13
Total: 64
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6404|the land of bourbon
the only problem with the talon is that you can't fire it.  the foregrip is blocking the trigger.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6376|West NY

steelie34 wrote:

the only problem with the talon is that you can't fire it.  the foregrip is blocking the trigger.
You're trolling, right?
steelie34
pub hero!

Noobpatty wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

You're trolling, right?
look at it... whose fingers are small enough to fit through that little hole?  mine surely aren't
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6491
The LHC is the same gun that was entered into the AR category but with a shorter barrel. Same with the SM436.

Hacking a few inches off the barrel doesn't turn a gun into an SMG. The Colt Commando, HK53 and AKS-74U are considered carbines by military and police forces, these guns are the size of an SMG but since they shoot a rifle round, they are rifles.
Ioan92
+337|5745

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

The LHC is the same gun that was entered into the AR category but with a shorter barrel. Same with the SM436.

Hacking a few inches off the barrel doesn't turn a gun into an SMG. The Colt Commando, HK53 and AKS-74U are considered carbines by military and police forces, these guns are the size of an SMG but since they shoot a rifle round, they are rifles.
No, they are PDW's.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6491

Ioan92 wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

No, they are PDW's.

Wikipedia wrote:

A personal defense weapon (often abbreviated PDW) is a compact semi-automatic or fully-automatic firearm similar in most respects to a submachine gun, but firing an armor-piercing round (often proprietary) which gives a PDW better range, accuracy and damage capability than a submachine gun firing pistol-caliber cartridges. The class of weapon as it exists today evolved from the submachine gun as a hybrid between a submachine gun and a carbine, retaining the compact size and ammunition capacity of the former while adding the ammunition power, accuracy and penetration of the latter.
Typical PDWs use small-caliber, high-velocity pistol bullets capable of penetrating soft body armor up to Level IIIa. However, the wound characteristics of such ultra-light, high-velocity bullets are the object of some debate as their stopping power against unarmored opponents is considered inadequate.
The shorter length and lighter weight of carbines makes them easier to handle in close-quarter combat situations (such as urban or jungle warfare), or when deploying from vehicles. Carbines have higher penetration capabilities than submachine guns while retaining standardized ammunition, unlike most current personal defense weapons, which use proprietary cartridges. The disadvantages of carbines, when compared with their longer counterparts, are generally poorer long-range accuracy and shorter effective range, while also generally being larger than submachine guns and thus harder to maneuver in close quarters.
tl;dr: A Carbine is an abbreviated rifle, a PWD is an SMG which uses a special round that is inbetween that of an AR and pistol round, and those rounds are designed to be armor piercing.

So the LHC and SM436 are carbines. Just like their real world counter-parts I listed earlier, which wiki all says are carbines.

Specifically, "Colt Commando" currently refers to the ultrashort 11.5-inch barrel assault rifle of the Model 733 series, marketed as the M4 Commando (formerly M16A2 Commando). By comparison, the M4 Carbine has an 14.5-inch barrel, while that of the M16 assault rifle is 20 inches.
HK33A3 (with a telescoping metal stock), the HK33KA3 carbine (barrel reduced in length to the base of the front sight post also equipped with a folding metal stock; the short barrel cannot be used to launch rifle grenades or attach a bayonet) as well as the compact HK53 carbine, which features a short, 211 mm barrel, a forearm derived from the Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine gun and a telescoping stock or a receiver endplate cover (later models also received an open-style flash hider).
In 1979, a shortened carbine variant of the AKS-74 was adopted into service with the Red Army: the AKS-74U (U—Ukorochenniy), which in terms of tactical deployment, bridges the gap between a submachine gun and an assault rifle
So the guns in the poll and their RL counterparts are carbines. A PDW is something different entirely.

Last edited by Doctor Strangelove (2009-08-21 07:22:46)

Ioan92
+337|5745
But doesn't the P90 use a caliber bigger then the fucking AR-15's?

5.7x28mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6349|Australia
How do you know they fire AR ammo? It could be using it's own proprietary AP ammo. As said earlier, we're using a limited creation tool here so we can't make entirely new parts - such as special magazines.
My SMG was using an AR magazine. My shotgun uses an M16 mag, and my flamethrower is being fed by an ammo drum for an RPK. Use you imagina(aaaaaaaa)tion a bit, dude. Just because it looks like it, doesn't mean it is.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6245|Escea

Ioan92 wrote:

But doesn't the P90 use a caliber bigger then the fucking AR-15's?

5.7x28mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.7x28mm
.45 and 9mm are also larger and both pistol rounds.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5811|Catherine Black

steelie34 wrote:

Noobpatty wrote:

steelie34 wrote:

You're trolling, right?
look at it... whose fingers are small enough to fit through that little hole?  mine surely aren't
The foregrip drops down.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6707|United States of America
The creator should have put it further up then, so it wouldn't crash into the trigger guard. Also, now that I really look at the Talon, why does it have like 30 things from the "Sights" category on it in random places? And am I further expected to interpret that the weapon is loaded through the pistol grip?
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6433|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

DesertFox- wrote:

The creator should have put it further up then, so it wouldn't crash into the trigger guard. Also, now that I really look at the Talon, why does it have like 30 things from the "Sights" category on it in random places? And am I further expected to interpret that the weapon is loaded through the pistol grip?
Maybe cause they're not sights at this point, they're to make the gun look better. Yes, its loaded by the pistol grip, there's a magazine sticking out just a bit. Also, I do agree that the foregrip should have been moved ahead, but the way its folding makes me feel I could stick it in a pistol holster which is sweet
steelie34
pub hero!
so what, the talon clip holds 12, maybe 15 rounds?  if that thing is full auto you're looking at about a half second of firing before you have to reload... i didn't vote for it.
Ioan92
+337|5745
This thing is a machine pistol, what is it doing in this section?
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6849|Lithuania
Well I surely didn't expect so many gun experts scrutinizing functionality well above looks in a 2-D flash arms creator program. Apart from you using your imagination, I can help clear up a few things now:

Ty wrote:

Well I do apologise to Omega for not being able to tell that from a picture. A idea might have been to have included an "alternate" picture of the Talon with the handguard extended to show that this was what was intended.
That's actually something I was intending to do originally but forgot to do so upon submission.

steelie34 wrote:

so what, the talon clip holds 12, maybe 15 rounds?  if that thing is full auto you're looking at about a half second of firing before you have to reload... i didn't vote for it.
Use an extended clip? Perhaps the bulky receiver of the PDW is large enough to support a long clip? Need I say more? IIRC the MP7 in BF2 had around 40 rounds per clip without an extended mag.

DesertFox wrote:

And am I further expected to interpret that the weapon is loaded through the pistol grip?
Yeah, something wrong with that? Do I need to refresh your memory? [1] [2] [3]

Ioan92 wrote:

Let's see, so far we've had pretty much everything short of flamethrowers enter this category and slide away with it. Oh and guess what the letters MP stand for in MP5. Or any other MP. And yes, they're SMGs.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6653|New Hampshire, USA
Pwnt
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6764|FUCK UBISOFT

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Well I surely didn't expect so many gun experts scrutinizing functionality well above looks in a 2-D flash arms creator program. Apart from you using your imagination, I can help clear up a few things now:

Ty wrote:

Well I do apologise to Omega for not being able to tell that from a picture. A idea might have been to have included an "alternate" picture of the Talon with the handguard extended to show that this was what was intended.
That's actually something I was intending to do originally but forgot to do so upon submission.

steelie34 wrote:

Use an extended clip? Perhaps the bulky receiver of the PDW is large enough to support a long clip? Need I say more? IIRC the MP7 in BF2 had around 40 rounds per clip without an extended mag.

DesertFox wrote:

And am I further expected to interpret that the weapon is loaded through the pistol grip?
Yeah, something wrong with that? Do I need to refresh your memory? [1] [2] [3]

Ioan92 wrote:

Let's see, so far we've had pretty much everything short of flamethrowers enter this category and slide away with it. Oh and guess what the letters MP stand for in MP5. Or any other MP. And yes, they're SMGs.
MP Doesn't stand for Machine Pistol.
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6653|New Hampshire, USA

Miggle wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:

The Heckler & Koch MP5 (From Maschinenpistole 5 - German: "machine pistol model 5")
Um wat?

Last edited by -=]NS[=-Eagle (2009-08-21 13:06:14)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6849|Lithuania

Miggle wrote:

concerning weapons, mp = Maschinenpistole = machine pistol, unless I'm missing something?
DesertFox-
Lulz, I guess I know who made it now. Somebody can't take criticism...
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6849|Lithuania

DesertFox- wrote:

Lulz, I guess I know who made it now. Somebody can't take criticism...
Oh no, I love criticism. But usually only when it makes sense and is backed up by facts.
DesertFox-
FACT: When not deployed, the supposed foregrip impacts the trigger guard and makes firing impossible but for those with the tiniest of fingers, despite the fact this could have been averted by moving it forward only slightly.

FACT: The highest part of the pistol grip is obstructed by whatever the hell that thing is, making one stretch the index finger to even reach the trigger.

FACT: Near the stock there is a rail attachment and handguard, which I must assume were added purely for looks because they have no business back there

I guess the sight that is right above the trigger is supposed to be attached to the foregrip or something, but still don't know what it's doing there. There also seems to be a rear, middle and front sight on the top, but since you made it, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be.
Ioan92
+337|5745
Noobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_pistol

zing

The Talon's place is in the pistol section.

Last edited by Ioan92 (2009-08-21 13:46:02)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6704|Disaster Free Zone

DesertFox- wrote:

FACT: When not deployed, the supposed foregrip impacts the trigger guard and makes firing impossible but for those with the tiniest of fingers, despite the fact this could have been averted by moving it forward only slightly.

FACT: The highest part of the pistol grip is obstructed by whatever the hell that thing is, making one stretch the index finger to even reach the trigger.

FACT: Near the stock there is a rail attachment and handguard, which I must assume were added purely for looks because they have no business back there

I guess the sight that is right above the trigger is supposed to be attached to the foregrip or something, but still don't know what it's doing there. There also seems to be a rear, middle and front sight on the top, but since you made it, I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to be.
FACT: It's winning by a fairly considerable margin. STFU, no one cares.
[-DER-]Omega
+188|6849|Lithuania

DesertFox- wrote:

I figure the retracted foregrip could double as a safety, making extension imperative prior to use. Dunno how functional that sounds really, but pressing one button isn't that big a deal eh?

Fair point, doubt it would interfere too much though due to the compactness of the gun itself.

FACT: Near the stock there is a rail attachment and handguard, which I must assume were added purely for looks because they have no business back there.
You are correct, they're there for aesthetic purposes.

Ioan92 wrote:

Noobs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_pistol

zing

The Talon's place is in the pistol section.
What exactly makes my weapon a pistol? And again, a PDW is not limited to an smg or a machine pistol.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard