Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5785|Catherine Black
White lies mostly, or bending the truth.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6522|South Florida

Zoom! wrote:

I lie in stories to add drama to conversation. I never do it to make myself look good though.
This is a good explaination.
15 more years! 15 more years!
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6670|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
It aint worth it, Im too straight to lie.  It'll only come back and bite you on the ass if you lie trust me.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6517|Austin, Texas

SonderKommando wrote:

Uzique wrote:

"Lying is not only saying what isn’t true. It is also, in fact especially, saying more than is true and, in the case of the human heart, saying more than one feels. We all do it, every day, to make life simpler".

Albert Camus on the absurdist/existentialist motherfuckin' bomb there, thank you very much.
Awesome.
Shame his sentence structure rivals a 4th grader's.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5505|America
LOL says the Longhorns fan. Yeah I am a great liar, even if it does come back to bite my ass, the instant reward is much better than the bite that comes later.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Brasso
+1,549|6627

Uzique wrote:

"Lying is not only saying what isn’t true. It is also, in fact especially, saying more than is true and, in the case of the human heart, saying more than one feels. We all do it, every day, to make life simpler".

Albert Camus on the absurdist/existentialist motherfuckin' bomb there, thank you very much.
rocking the camus title as well i see

i actually have that book, courtesy of my teacher forgetting to ask for it back.  good book.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bevo
Nah
+718|6517|Austin, Texas

Blade4509 wrote:

LOL says the Longhorns fan. Yeah I am a great liar, even if it does come back to bite my ass, the instant reward is much better than the bite that comes later.
Dunno what you're on about tbh.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

Bevo wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Awesome.
He's French, and is one of the best French prose writers ever, for that matter. Until you can read the original language-version, or until you can write any better... hush up. It's a great quote about everyday lying and emotional dishonesty, in my opinion.

And yes, haffey. The Outsider is my book of the summer; you know how every year there's a book you read that leaves a lasting, indelible impression upon you? I think this year round, what with my big fall-out and packing-bags fiasco with the (ex) missus, a bit of absurdist, existentialist French philosophy was just what the Doctor ordered .
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Bevo
Nah
+718|6517|Austin, Texas

Uzique wrote:

Bevo wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

Awesome.
He's French, and is one of the best French prose writers ever, for that matter. Until you can read the original language-version, or until you can write any better... hush up. It's a great quote about everyday lying and emotional dishonesty, in my opinion.
I'm well aware Uzique, had to study the book in a multitude of ways over a few weeks. Didn't say he was a bad prose writer (the story was quite nice), just his sentences are nearly all simple. We did some work with sentence structures and beginnings in English for quite a bit, so yeah if I wrote prose it would certainly be more elegant than the translated version. The quote's great, but he's hardly the poster boy for sentence structuring.

edit: sentence structure :X

Last edited by Bevo (2009-08-19 19:37:56)

Lai
+186|6147
I never lie.

I do obscure the truth, withold information, imply things, etc. I guess you could call it an Odyssean sense of honour
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

I lie more than I should.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6450|The Twilight Zone

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I lie more than I should.
I don't think you should lie at all
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
topal63
. . .
+533|6715
I don't lie, except if the topic is body fat.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6467

Bevo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Bevo wrote:

I'm well aware Uzique, had to study the book in a multitude of ways over a few weeks. Didn't say he was a bad prose writer (the story was quite nice), just his sentences are nearly all simple. We did some work with sentence structures and beginnings in English for quite a bit, so yeah if I wrote prose it would certainly be more elegant than the translated version. The quote's great, but he's hardly the poster boy for sentence structuring.

edit: sentence structure :X
I think, after reading the whole range of literature and styles that are out there, that to downgrade a work of fiction just because of simple sentence structure is ignorant madness. The short, prosaic and plaintive style of Camus is a beauty unto itself. Being able to express such complex and thought-provoking themes and sentiments through the short-sword of a stabbing simple sentence is a skill that many (overly) eloquent writers do not and could not even dream of possessing. Personally I would take the style of Camus over the bullshit 'writing to prove a point about my own ability' style of Austen or Richardson anyday.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard