Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

A fire that has burned more than 75,000 acres in Santa Barbara County over the last week was started in an illegal marijuana growing area operated by a Mexican drug organization, authorities said.

Authorities said they confirmed that the blaze, which is burning out of control, started in a cooking area of the pot farm. They believe those responsible are still in the forest area trying leave the forest by foot.
"The Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Narcotics Unit has confirmed that the camp at the origin of the fire was an illegal marijuana operation believed to be run by a Mexican national drug organization," according to a statement from the Los Padres National Forest. "The Narcotics Unit has been working in the area within the last month eradicating other nearby marijuana cultivation sites."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 … orest.html
Now considering a Mexican drug cartel accidentally started this fire, the huge amount of damage it caused, the likeliness of the suspects to be illegal, and the fact they were growing drugs; do you think we could or should execute the suspects when caught?
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528
California dosen't do capital punishment anymore, but send em over the border to Nevada, we still have to suffer with all the smoke an will happily needle em.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6749|Great Brown North
bogo24dk
+26|6476

=JoD=Corithus wrote:

California dosen't do capital punishment anymore, but send em over the border to Nevada, we still have to suffer with all the smoke an will happily needle em.
Like Capital Punishment Works. A crock isn't going to say well i can go to jail if i commit this crime so i better stop here. Capital punishment is good for one thing. Keeping the cost down.
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528
Exactly.  And in this day and age, keeping the costs down should be of primary concern.  Imagine the savings if everyone  serving life sentences were simply sat in front of a firing squad.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Okay this thread isn't really about capital punishment but I feel I do have to say this:

Capital punishment keeps the cost down, are you fucking mad? You think that the appeals upon appeals for death row inmates doesn't cost a shitload of money? Not to mention that most of the time a death row inmate is in prison for years and years and years before their sentance is carried out. You know what the leading cause of death in death row inmates is? Old age!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Chorcai
+49|6617|Ireland

Ty wrote:

Okay this thread isn't really about capital punishment but I feel I do have to say this:

Capital punishment keeps the cost down, are you fucking mad? You think that the appeals upon appeals for death row inmates doesn't cost a shitload of money? Not to mention that most of the time a death row inmate is in prison for years and years and years before their sentance is carried out. You know what the leading cause of death in death row inmates is? Old age!
Heaven forbid if they didnt do the crime the goverment pays out millons n millons. Either way the tax payer get fucked sideways for that matter !
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528

Ty wrote:

This is, unfortunatly, true.  We need to expedite the process, I say allow them one appeal, if they are still found guilty, send em to the squad.  No fuss, no overly long prison sentences, no prison over crowding, and I guarantee it would serve as a deterent.
bogo24dk
+26|6476
Not in all cases but ya some of them go on and on TY. But why does everyone think that longer jail sentence is the answer to keep the crime down. Yes if you had intelligent criminals who even knew what the consequence was then yes. But most of them are dumber then a door. And even when they know the the consequence they still do it.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

It's been proven that the punishment is never a deterrant. The deterrant is the chance of being caught.
Capital punishment is more trouble than it's worth. The amount of incorrect verdicts that go through courts not just in America but worldwide means that yeah, multiple appeals are needed. I'm sure if you were sentanced to death for a crime you didn't do you'd want more than one flip of the coin.
[Blinking eyes thing]
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
my biggest problem with the death penalty is the inaccuracy of a lot of court cases.

it should only be used in cases of 100% guilt i.e. caught on camera, 3+ credible witnesses + evidence etc.

Ty wrote:

It's been proven that the punishment is never a deterrant. The deterrant is the chance of being caught.
Capital punishment is more trouble than it's worth. The amount of incorrect verdicts that go through courts not just in America but worldwide means that yeah, multiple appeals are needed. I'm sure if you were sentanced to death for a crime you didn't do you'd want more than one flip of the coin.
it would be effective if it was used more... but like i said, FAR too many people get put away when they're innocent for me to be able to support the death penalty

Last edited by krazed (2009-08-17 18:09:41)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

"with just one toke,
all my cares
go up in smoke"

they're never gonna see who actually started it unless they go to Home Depot. in a pick-up truck.
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6528

krazed wrote:

my biggest problem with the death penalty is the inaccuracy of a lot of court cases.

it should only be used in cases of 100% guilt i.e. caught on camera, 3+ credible witnesses + evidence etc.

Ty wrote:

it would be effective if it was used more... but like i said, FAR too many people get put away when they're innocent for me to be able to support the death penalty
This seems a logical middle ground.  If guilt can be proved with an excess of evidence, there is no good reason the sentence shouldn't be carried out as quickly and efficiently as possible, i.e., a single bullet.  Also, who has proved that capital punishment doesn't work as a deterrent in the American judicial system?  I have heard of no such proof.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Unfortunately jurors are stupid - remember, these are the people who weren't smart enough to get themselves out of jury duty. Generally the fact that someone is on trial is enough for a jury to declare them guilty. Courts are less about proving guilt than proving innocence. This being the case when somoene comes up on charges that can carry a sentance of death and are declared to be guilty a judge can impose that penalty upon them. Remember; guilt is a legal term. Under the law no-one is more guilty than anyone else. Someone convicted with a few pieces of doubtful testimony is just as guilty as someone convicted with a mountain of evidence.
[Blinking eyes thing]
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
the way it's currently used i wouldn't be afraid of it either tbh

oh no you'll execute me in 15 years... MAYBE
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Of course the death penalty works, after all, the fact there are no murders in the US proves it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard