Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
And my recovery discs dont work. Any tips? Old Hard drive clone?
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6606|Michigan, USA
Recovery Discs wouldn't work, Cloning would be one way of doing it, reinstalling your OS period is another(requires a proper install disc and key however).
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
How do i exactly clone it? I have an external case.. So i use the software, then how do i import that image to the new hdd?
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6296|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Just torrent a windows disc.. your windows serial key should be on the bottom of your laptop (windows sticker)

or you can just use norton ghost to move the old disc's content to the new one...

EDIT: Mods this is NOT a violation, I am in no way encouraging piracy as downloading something you already own is perfectly legal

Last edited by FloppY_ (2009-07-29 04:34:19)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6654|internet

FloppY_ wrote:

Just torrent a windows disc.. your windows serial key should be on the bottom of your laptop (windows sticker)
It will not work.  You have to get a vista dvd from your notebook manufacturer.
Original vista DVD (or the ones from a torrent sites) and the ones that is  installed on notebooks is different.
The serial key will not work.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
This sucks. I used gprated LIVE cd that lets me recover the hidden partition. I didnt find it in my hard drive that i have installed windows in. Thats bad news. Only way for me to use my new hdd is to get a windows cd?
xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6654|internet
i changed my hdd not too long ago...
was having the same problem as you...downloaded windows,tried to use my serial it didnt worked...
so i installed windows without serial on new hard disk...than i used my recovery dvd's and it worked

Last edited by xxCaptainBlackxx (2009-07-29 06:14:05)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore

xxCaptainBlackxx wrote:

i changed my hdd not too long ago...
was having the same problem as you...downloaded windows,tried to use my serial it didnt worked...
so i installed windows without serial on new hard disk...than i used my recovery dvd's and it worked
hmm.. So your recovery cds couldnt recover and then you used a windows cd to install the OS? Then you used your recovery cds to recover it back?

I guess could it be that, my hard drive hasnt been unallocated any space yet? If i remember, Windows makes a C drive for your hard drive am i right?

Last edited by Ayumiz (2009-07-29 06:32:06)

xxCaptainBlackxx
♥♦♣♠♥♦♣
+47|6654|internet

Ayumiz wrote:

hmm.. So your recovery cds couldnt recover and then you used a windows cd to install the OS? Then you used your recovery cds to recover it back?

I guess could it be that, my hard drive hasnt been unallocated any space yet? If i remember, Windows makes a C drive for your hard drive am i right?
1. yes.
2. i think that recovery disks need some windows components(drivers,dll's) to be installed,but i might be wrong

Before doing anything your best shot will be to ask here: http://thevistaforums.com/ 
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
I think i need a partition to be able to recover it though. I am doing that now. Will report back here.
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
Hmm seems like i am able to use my Laptop's cd key and activate windows.. However, my laptop's logo doesnt appear in my computers though. Is that an issue?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6449|King Of The Islands

That's just OEM skinning.

My Ultimate, err, has the same thing.

And any Vista disc works with any key. umustvebeendoinitrong
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FloppY_
­

Ayumiz wrote:

Hmm seems like i am able to use my Laptop's cd key and activate windows.. However, my laptop's logo doesnt appear in my computers though. Is that an issue?
You can config that yourself... the logo will only appear if you "install" it to appear... you can edit that info to any thing you like and add any picture you like just by going through a few short steps...

tl:dr it is part of your "recovery disc" installs

Last edited by FloppY_ (2009-07-30 05:17:14)

Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore
Hmm i see OEM skinning. Thanks. So now i know the recovery disc only works with the recovery partition. In order to install a new OS. I have to torrent the files out and use my key?
FloppY_
­

Ayumiz wrote:

Hmm i see OEM skinning. Thanks. So now i know the recovery disc only works with the recovery partition. In order to install a new OS. I have to torrent the files out and use my key?
Uhh, I don't follow you... Didn't the regular Windows disc work fine with your key ?
Ayumiz
J-10 whore
+103|6744|Singapore

FloppY_ wrote:

Ayumiz wrote:

Uhh, I don't follow you... Didn't the regular Windows disc work fine with your key ?
Yeah it did work but what i meant was, what if i didnt had one copy of windows?
FloppY_
­

Ayumiz wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Ayumiz wrote:

Yeah it did work but what i meant was, what if i didnt had one copy of windows?
If you didn't have a copy of windows you should just download an ISO and use that.. or call the manufacturer for a recovery disc

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard