Cannabis should NOT be legalized34%34% - 34
Cannabis should be legalized61%61% - 60
In my country it's legal - LOL @ AMERICA!4%4% - 4
Total: 98
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6556|North Carolina

Dilbert_X wrote:

The historical quirk that for some reason caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are socially acceptable but cannabis, opiates and cocaine are not.
I find it hard to believe America, Canada, Europe, Russia, China etc all outlawed cannabis just to 'keep the black man down'.
I suspect the societies have learned the three mentioned are too socially damaging to be legal.
You're assuming that they "learned it's too socially damaging" rather than looking at the corporate connections of alcohol.  Breweries have always been big business.  Pot never has been, so it doesn't have the same power to lobby for legalization as alcohol does.

Again, this isn't about protection.  It's about special interests.  Do you really put that much faith in government?

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-07-26 11:03:34)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6670|Πάϊ

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The historical quirk that for some reason caffeine, nicotine and alcohol are socially acceptable but cannabis, opiates and cocaine are not.
I find it hard to believe America, Canada, Europe, Russia, China etc all outlawed cannabis just to 'keep the black man down'.
I suspect the societies have learned the three mentioned are too socially damaging to be legal.
You're assuming that they "learned it's too socially damaging" rather than looking at the corporate connections of alcohol.  Breweries have always been big business.  Pot never has been, so it doesn't have the same power to lobby for legalization as alcohol does.

Again, this isn't about protection.  It's about special interests.  Do you really put that much faith in government?
I don't know about "socially damaging" as Dilbert says... But on the other hand, why hasn't pot ever been a big business? It certainly has the massive market for it to be as big as booze and cigs. Same with all drugs really.

My guess is that nicotine and caffeine's effects are of a very different nature - such that gave no reason for a ban at least in the early and ignorant years - thus allowing for the market to grow. As for alcohol, yes the nature of its effects is more similar to cannabis etc but who in the right mind would ever consider a ban on wine?
ƒ³
Turquoise
O Canada

oug wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't know about "socially damaging" as Dilbert says... But on the other hand, why hasn't pot ever been a big business? It certainly has the massive market for it to be as big as booze and cigs. Same with all drugs really.

My guess is that nicotine and caffeine's effects are of a very different nature - such that gave no reason for a ban at least in the early and ignorant years - thus allowing for the market to grow. As for alcohol, yes the nature of its effects is more similar to cannabis etc but who in the right mind would ever consider a ban on wine?
I would guess the main reason it never became a big industry is because it is a crop that is very easy to grow.  The means of production cannot be easily controlled, so this is why industry and government don't tend to like it.
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6370|Phoenix, AZ
God I love this discussion, especially with you guys, really interesting stuff...
I would like to respond to some stuff, specifically by Dilbert

I think we would save society money if people didn't go to jail for a plant.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cannabis is clearly implicated in schizophrenia, from anecdotal evidence I have first hand its not something I would want to see widespread. It causes personality changes for the worse.
There have been studies about this, and the people that turned schizophrenic were prone to schizophrenia anyway (they were bound to have it later on)
Besides, it isn't something widespread, its not like you hear about somebody from your old High School getting schizophrenia from smoking cannabis.
Shit, if a drug for depression was released and they had a few cases of schizophrenia out of a test group of thousands upon thousands, I bet the FDA would still pass it. 

Dilbert_X wrote:

Looking at the stats ecstacy is the least harmful drug there is, I don't see that being legalised any time soon.
Actually LSD is the least harmful drug. Unless your talking about MDMA (Pure active ingredient in Ecstacy) and I'm not sure and don't have the time to look of you can OD on MDMA very easy so somebody tell me about that
Ecstasy tabs, if you are referring to pills, can be spiked with crazy stuff. Just check a site like this out

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If people want to use a substance that they enjoy but it harms them in the process, that's ok.  That's their business.
Its societies business, since society pays some of the cost.

Pot is less harmful to society than alcohol and tobacco, no matter what Dilbert says.
According to you, not as I see it.
Dilbert, I really don't see where that cost would come from. Don't you think that if they stopped arresting people for crimes related to Cannabis (Like possession) that it would dramatically reduce all the costs from arrest to imprisonment?

How you use them is what's important.
Depends as much on the drug as how you use it.
When were talking Cannabis, volume isn't a problem. Unless you can smoke your bodyweight in Cannabis in 24 hours when 3 grams makes you pass out
BVC
+325|6846
That something is illegal does not mean it is not socially acceptable.  If this were the case, we would never change any laws, ever.

Oh, and LOL @ the FDA getting on it's high horse about electronic cigarettes for health reasons!  Eve of corruption...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,813|6257|eXtreme to the maX

Godfather wrote:

There have been studies about this, and the people that turned schizophrenic were prone to schizophrenia anyway (they were bound to have it later on)
But cannabis tips them over the edge, although predisposed they might not have developed it all.
Actually LSD is the least harmful drug.
You're joking? Enough people have wound up brain-fucked from that its not funny.
And yes I mean MDMA, not what some numbnut has mixed up with his home chemistry set, although the long-term effect of regular MDMA use
are severe - short term effects and occasional use don't seem a problem.
Dilbert, I really don't see where that cost would come from. Don't you think that if they stopped arresting people for crimes related to Cannabis (Like possession) that it would dramatically reduce all the costs from arrest to imprisonment?
Again, costs to society besides money.
Treating the proportion who do smoke themselves stupid, dealing with the ones who end up really off the wall, and those who withdraw from society and sit at home on the dole smoking - because doing weed is the most awesome thing they can think of.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-07-28 03:12:44)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

You say its big business and special interests, I say its based on the facts and 'facts on the ground' since before democracy was invented.
I would guess the main reason it never became a big industry is because it is a crop that is very easy to grow.  The means of production cannot be easily controlled, so this is why industry and government don't tend to like it.
Thats the weakest argument yet.
People have produced their own alcohol very easily for millenia. Home brew kits are no more complex than growing or buying a few ingredients and a bottle and waiting.
Spirits can be home-produced without any real trouble at all, and yet the govt manages to control that pretty easily.

Big business didn't ignore cannabis because its too easy to grow.
Seems like a wonder crop really, especially compared with tobacco.
BVC
+325|6846

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pubic wrote:

I think you'll find it wasn't me who wrote that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Fixed
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6562|'Murka

ghettoperson wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I have no problems with legalizing, regulating, and taxing the ever-loving shit out of pot. That's just the libertarian in me, I guess.

However, I have problems today with people smoking pot. It IS illegal. Until it isn't, people shouldn't be doing it. It's selfish and irresponsible IMO.
I don't understand this attitude of 'if the law says so, it's a terrible thing'. Come on, I'm sure you've broken the law loads of times in your life. You're telling me you have a problem with people smoking weed, but not doing an extra 5MPH over the speed limit?
Firstly, you've mischaracterized what I said. I didn't say "it's a terrible thing".

I said intentionally performing an illegal act for no reason other than your own pleasure is selfish and irresponsible. And yes, I've broken the law many times in my life for selfish and irresponsible reasons. And that doesn't make it OK.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6370|Phoenix, AZ

Dilbert_X wrote:

Again, costs to society besides money.
Treating the proportion who do smoke themselves stupid, dealing with the ones who end up really off the wall, and those who withdraw from society and sit at home on the dole smoking - because doing weed is the most awesome thing they can think of.
1. You cant really permanently smoke yourself stupid, you can however replace learning with smoking and end up stupid.

2. How do you end up off the wall from, "Doing weed" ?

3. I don't know anyone that smokes exclusively by them selves, except for sleep aid and for pain relief. I find that smoking cannabis tends to actually shift reclusive people into social people, and no, not only social with other "dumb ass stoners"

I can name 3 friends that went from staying at home, playing video games all day and getting fat to going to party's, interacting with other people, hooking up with / dating girls, and making a lot more friends.

One of them recently decided to take a long break from smoking, hes been sober so far for like a month and I don't see him crumbling and his overall personality has remained the same, just now he is more outgoing and friendly which IMO aren't bad things.

Cannabis users being a menace to society would be evidenced by people going to rehabs for Cannabis use. Because after all, that's what society would be spending money on, right? Rehabilitating the people effected by the drug, people who are off the wall, or suicidal because they have no friends/future thanks to their anti-social habit....
Coldzero
+2|5538
Legalize it with the same restrictions as alcohol... and don't let the government control it...
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6597|Amsterdam‫
   <3 my country
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
ICCULUS
Free Sam, Ban Finray.
+418|5575|Athens, GA
fu menzo
BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|6147|Dallas
Just gonna put in my two cents real quick .

Turquoise wrote:

If people want to use a substance that they enjoy but it harms them in the process, that's ok.  That's their business.
If we start with weed, then why not stop there? If it's our "right" to have pot and trash our bodies, then why not legalize heroin? Or crystal meth? Or any drug for that matter? After all, it is our body.  Its a Pandora's Box imo .
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

You say its big business and special interests, I say its based on the facts and 'facts on the ground' since before democracy was invented.
And I say that the facts on the ground are that special interests dominate nearly every society.  Before lobbyists, it was merchants.  Before merchants, it was nobles.  Before nobles, it was clergy.

If pot had become a massive industry like brewing, then there would be people with connections to make sure it remained legal.  If the majority of society indulged in pot (rather than subcultures), then it would still be legal.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Thats the weakest argument yet.
People have produced their own alcohol very easily for millenia. Home brew kits are no more complex than growing or buying a few ingredients and a bottle and waiting.
Spirits can be home-produced without any real trouble at all, and yet the govt manages to control that pretty easily.
You do realize that brewing is still a lot more complicated than basic agriculture.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Big business didn't ignore cannabis because its too easy to grow.
Seems like a wonder crop really, especially compared with tobacco.
I didn't say it ignored pot.  I said it didn't focus on it.  Pot is also a lot less addictive than alcohol or tobacco, so ensuring that you'd have return customers was easier with those 2.
Turquoise
O Canada

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Just gonna put in my two cents real quick .

Turquoise wrote:

If we start with weed, then why not stop there? If it's our "right" to have pot and trash our bodies, then why not legalize heroin? Or crystal meth? Or any drug for that matter? After all, it is our body.  Its a Pandora's Box imo .
We should eventually legalize every substance, but this is a gradual process.  You can't expect a proper system to handle all substances to prop up overnight.  You start with softer stuff like weed.

By the way, heroin and cocaine used to be legal.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

If pot had become a massive industry like brewing, then there would be people with connections to make sure it remained legal.
Opium was a massive industry, CFCs used to be a massive industry, landmines were a massive industry - things change, nothing is invulnerable.
You do realize that brewing is still a lot more complicated than basic agriculture.
And yet alcohol has been produced at the cottage industry level for millenia.
I didn't say it ignored pot.  I said it didn't focus on it.  Pot is also a lot less addictive than alcohol or tobacco, so ensuring that you'd have return customers was easier with those 2.
Sugar isn't really addictive, is fairly simple to produce, and yet there is a huge industry built up around it with lobby groups, political funding etc etc.

I'm just not buying your argument that cannabis is so easy to produce no one would have bothered to set up a company to do so, and then sought to influence govt to keep it legal.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2009-07-29 06:31:55)

BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|6147|Dallas

Turquoise wrote:

We should eventually legalize every substance, but this is a gradual process.  You can't expect a proper system to handle all substances to prop up overnight.  You start with softer stuff like weed.

But at what point does legalizing every substance go too far? As far as I know, LSD has no good healthy after-effects. Same with smoking. I havn't studied much up on weed, so don't know much about that. But the point is---when the government sees people screwing theirselves up with drugs that have the potential to kill them:

----Should the government step in and say, "This drug is obviously harmful to society and the civilian, and steps should be taken to protect    them from a certain drug (a.k.a Mary Jane) or others?

All in the name of freedom--but drugs can be a freedom that enslaves . And in the name of saving money or personal rights, it can ruin countless lives. I should know---both my grandads died of drug overdoses.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6887|Salt Lake City

Even if they don't legalize it, they should at least decriminalize it, so we aren't spending so much incarcerating people for it.
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

If pot had become a massive industry like brewing, then there would be people with connections to make sure it remained legal.
Opium was a massive industry, CFCs used to be a massive industry, landmines were a massive industry - things change, nothing is invulnerable.
And yet alcohol has been produced at the cottage industry level for millenia.
Sugar isn't really addictive, is fairly simple to produce, and yet there is a huge industry built up around it with lobby groups, political funding etc etc.

I'm just not buying your argument that cannabis is so easy to produce no one would have bothered to set up a company to do so, and then sought to influence govt to keep it legal.
Alright, how about this then?  Do you really think continuing to spend law enforcement money and time on punishing the use of pot is cheaper than legalizing it, taxing it, and regulating it?  Do you really think the societal costs of legalization are worse than the costs of criminalizing it?
Turquoise
O Canada

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

But at what point does legalizing every substance go too far? As far as I know, LSD has no good healthy after-effects. Same with smoking. I havn't studied much up on weed, so don't know much about that. But the point is---when the government sees people screwing theirselves up with drugs that have the potential to kill them:

----Should the government step in and say, "This drug is obviously harmful to society and the civilian, and steps should be taken to protect    them from a certain drug (a.k.a Mary Jane) or others?

All in the name of freedom--but drugs can be a freedom that enslaves . And in the name of saving money or personal rights, it can ruin countless lives. I should know---both my grandads died of drug overdoses.
On the flipside, how far do you let the government make decisions for you?
BVC
+325|6846
Why is it that the EU has lower drug usage rates than the US, but at the same time has more liberal drug laws?
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6926|Moscow, Russia
because in EU less people think with their rear?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6782|Finland

Pubic wrote:

Why is it that the EU has lower drug usage rates than the US, but at the same time has more liberal drug laws?
It really depends on the country.

https://i30.tinypic.com/ri4vnc.png
I need around tree fiddy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard