Tin_Whisker
+1|6735
I searched for RAMDRIVE and iRAM & rocketdrive. 

Gigabyte has a solid state ram drive that holds up to 4GB of RAM.  I'm wondering how much my load times would improve if I bought a ram drive mounted it, throw a BF2 install on it and load the game and maps from there?
[iLL]h8+
+26|6750|Florida
Hey, I did some research on this the other day.  I wouldnt not get it.  The max it can hold is 4gig and with windows fully updated you have only like 400mb left over.  It is not something you want to use at the moment.  The load times on the games were not impressive although it was faster.

Plus you have to turn your computer on every 16 hours or less or you will lose all of your data.  It has a little rechargable battery that you must keep up with.  I dont know, but I wouldnt say this technology is game worthy yet.

I think I saw an article in this months Maximum PC somewhere on page 60-69 i think.

CHeck it out first.
Tin_Whisker
+1|6735
I originally looked into ramdrives several years ago when building a HTPC.  That was going to have windows loaded on the ramdisk.  That device was a rocketdrive from Cenatek and it actuall drew power from the PSU while the computer was off to store files almost indefinetly.  This gigabyte product is something different, in which your right, has a battery. 

I wouldn't load windows on the drive; just bf2, any additional space I'd set as the swap file.  There are also software ramdrives that would work using the system memory  (This is actually the origin of ramdrives).  The problem would be each time you reboot, your ramdrive would start empty.  You'd simply have to set a batch file or script to copy your install back over to the ramdrive before you fired up the game.

The end goal would to be in-game quickly, to gain tactical advantage.  And hopefully decrease in-game jitters as aditional textures are cached or loaded.
topal63
. . .
+533|6752

Tin_Whisker wrote:

I searched for RAMDRIVE and iRAM & rocketdrive. 

Gigabyte has a solid state ram drive that holds up to 4GB of RAM.  I'm wondering how much my load times would improve if I bought a ram drive mounted it, throw a BF2 install on it and load the game and maps from there?
There is a way to do it. . . and make it stable or safe (sort of).

Of course it (the ramdrive) is NOT the WINDOWS install - neither the logical OS mount nor the WINXP-installed-directory (disregard previous posters opinion).

If C: is your normal OS mounted logical drive and WIN(something) is your Windows install.
C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2 - will be where BF2 is normally installed to.

When you install the ram-drive it will have another logical drive name (of course) like D: (or E: or whatever it is).

Create a directory on the new drive; a unique name that does not appear on C: - like My_games.
When you install BF2 - install it there (in the D:\My_games directory); not in the default directory C:\Progam Files.

After the install - BF2 will be installed on the Ram-drive D: (or E: or whatever it is) in the My_games directory.

Simply drag and drop My_games onto C: in MyComputer and you will have a backup of BF2 on C: your normal OS drive.

Should the battery fail; or the data on D: (or E: or whatever it is) simply be lost. Simply copy the C:My_games backup onto the ramdrive - and your good to go - so get back to the fight.

If you like geeky stuff and experimenting with technology - it is not that big a deal.

Worst case scenario - you lose the data on the ramdrive repeatedly and get tired of copying the backup onto it. So you give up and reinstall BF2 on C:.
topal63
. . .
+533|6752

Tin_Whisker wrote:

I originally looked into ramdrives several years ago when building a HTPC.  That was going to have windows loaded on the ramdisk.  That device was a rocketdrive from Cenatek and it actuall drew power from the PSU while the computer was off to store files almost indefinetly.  This gigabyte product is something different, in which your right, has a battery. 

I wouldn't load windows on the drive; just bf2, any additional space I'd set as the swap file.  There are also software ramdrives that would work using the system memory  (This is actually the origin of ramdrives).  The problem would be each time you reboot, your ramdrive would start empty.  You'd simply have to set a batch file or script to copy your install back over to the ramdrive before you fired up the game.

The end goal would to be in-game quickly, to gain tactical advantage.  And hopefully decrease in-game jitters as aditional textures are cached or loaded.
Problem. . .

The optimized shaders are stored in the C:\Mydocuments folder. . .

Would need to look into whether those can be moved to the ramdrive or not - by changing a config setting somewhere in BF2.

These are the files that take time loading. . . it might be pointless if they are not on the ramdrive as well.
[iLL]h8+
+26|6750|Florida
I looked at the times anyway for load times on a game and it was not overly impressive.  I would stick to getting two raptors and raiding them.  Just my thoughts.  The raptors made a huge difference for me when I switched and I am almost always first in a round.  Sometimes being the first in is only good for getting the vehicle you want.  Many servers have defeated that by making longer wait times until rounds start.

I just dont think any of these RAM drives are optimal for gaming....  Not yet.
topal63
. . .
+533|6752
One other idea - is the possibilty of configuring 2 iRAMs (which works on the standard SATA controlller) into a merged raid 0 configuration. This would increase the max capacity to 8 gigs.

An additional install of windows (minimal) + bf2 could be installed on this - if a raid 0 config is stable with 2 merged iRAM drives.

This would eliminate the problem with C:\My documents containing the optimized shader files.

I think I might experiment and try this out.

Last edited by topal63 (2006-04-05 10:33:29)

[iLL]h8+
+26|6750|Florida
Yeah, I think that would be the only other option that would make use of the iDrives.  I wonder how much that would cost total?

Did anyone read the article in the current Maximum PC mag?  It speaks on games, load times, and windows things.

If I remember correctly.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6762|Australia
ah hem..... $$$ anyone?

It WOULD load HEAPS faster, but i would wait for Giga-Byte's iRam II that supports SATAII, for double bandwidth, coz ram is greatly bottlenecked there. But do you seriously only want 4 gigs? Maybe spend more $$$ for another in RAID 0 and have 8 gigs max? kinda..... well.... you decide
topal63
. . .
+533|6752

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

ah hem..... $$$ anyone?

It WOULD load HEAPS faster, but i would wait for Giga-Byte's iRam II that supports SATAII, for double bandwidth, coz ram is greatly bottlenecked there. But do you seriously only want 4 gigs? Maybe spend more $$$ for another in RAID 0 and have 8 gigs max? kinda..... well.... you decide
Cha-ching!

8 gigs DDR200 (I think) memory in 1 gig mem-chips for two boards = about $80 x 4 x 2 = $360 x 2 = +/- $720!
+
$100 to $150 per board (x 2) =  averaging about +/- $250.

About a $1000 total.
vjs
+19|6805
Yup assasin is correct you wouldn't see that much of an improvement. The issue of where BF2 saves it's config files is simple, you'd just have to change your my documents folder to the ram drive as well.

Here is the major problem, the ram drive its a PCI card in otherwords 32bit/33Mhz and a total bandwidth of 132MB/s over the bus. That means you could only get 132 MB/s out of the drive when nothing else is happening, no sound etc, but inreality you get less. Ram drives do have the advantage of very short latencies (seek times) which is good for battlefield which loads alot of little files one after another.

But even scsi, sata, or sataII won't get better than 133 MB/s if it's installed over a 32/33Mhz pci bus.

So you have two options: either, go with a 64/66 or PCI-X etc addin raid card which would increase the bandwidth to 512 MB/s or greater and use several fast drives such as 15K scsi or the 150G raptors in raid-0. However even if you used 4 raptors or fast scsi's you probably wouldn't see more than a 280MB/s read speed.

A third option and probably cheaper option would be using the main memory. Instead of buying 4G of memory for the card get a board which supports the memory like Chewy.  Install the game to main memory in a virtual drive.

In either case, all of the options other than a 150G Raptor, its pretty much cost prohibitive.

Personally, 15K scsi drive (Free, I got really really lucky it's a $700 dolar drive, probably 300 on e-bay), adaptec 39320 (100buck e-bay), cable with terminator ($40). So for 150 Bucks I have a drive that does circles around the raptor.

Last edited by vjs (2006-04-05 15:41:13)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

Get a RAM drive if you have alot of old memory lying around. They're only about $50. It's good for Photoshopping and manipulating other small files, otherwise, it doesn't really speed things up too much. Limited by SATA.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-06 03:40:35)

Tin_Whisker
+1|6735
Thanks for the help.  I think for at least t trial run, using a system based RAM Drive might be in the future.
[iLL]h8+
+26|6750|Florida
This does have a lot of potential if they can figure out a way to run it directly off the mobo.  Also if they can figure out a way to hold more RAM.  Either way, something not very cost effective and I do not like the battery idea very much.
[iLL]h8+
+26|6750|Florida

vjs wrote:

Yup assasin is correct you wouldn't see that much of an improvement. The issue of where BF2 saves it's config files is simple, you'd just have to change your my documents folder to the ram drive as well.

Here is the major problem, the ram drive its a PCI card in otherwords 32bit/33Mhz and a total bandwidth of 132MB/s over the bus. That means you could only get 132 MB/s out of the drive when nothing else is happening, no sound etc, but inreality you get less. Ram drives do have the advantage of very short latencies (seek times) which is good for battlefield which loads alot of little files one after another.

But even scsi, sata, or sataII won't get better than 133 MB/s if it's installed over a 32/33Mhz pci bus.

So you have two options: either, go with a 64/66 or PCI-X etc addin raid card which would increase the bandwidth to 512 MB/s or greater and use several fast drives such as 15K scsi or the 150G raptors in raid-0. However even if you used 4 raptors or fast scsi's you probably wouldn't see more than a 280MB/s read speed.

A third option and probably cheaper option would be using the main memory. Instead of buying 4G of memory for the card get a board which supports the memory like Chewy.  Install the game to main memory in a virtual drive.

In either case, all of the options other than a 150G Raptor, its pretty much cost prohibitive.

Personally, 15K scsi drive (Free, I got really really lucky it's a $700 dolar drive, probably 300 on e-bay), adaptec 39320 (100buck e-bay), cable with terminator ($40). So for 150 Bucks I have a drive that does circles around the raptor.
By the way, I have done the SCCI route before in the past and it was just a pain in the butt.  Mounting all keeping everything up and running was too much work.  Hopefully you are having better luck than I had, but it was not fun.  Two 74gig Raptors have been simple, consistant, and I am still the first person in every round.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

SCSI is no more difficult to use than SATA, only you have to pull out your 3.5 more often, and it isn't as widely supported by default by as many motherboards as SATA.

Still, given the choice between a 150GB 10K Raptor and a 15K SCSI that costs twice as much, I'd go for the Raptor any day.
vjs
+19|6805
Well when your considering ram drives, price isn't really that much of an option is it?

What I'd suggest since price is no option, is a dual opteron board with dual channel ram per cpu. Since you have to buy the ram anyways you could easily put 8G of ram into the system.  Partition off 4G for a ram disk and have it load on startup... there are several programs out there which will copy files from a ram drive to a harddrive (back and forth on boot). You could also do it with scripts considering you shouldn't really have to save bf2 back to harddrive on shutdown.

Virtual drive comes to mind from the olddays.

-------------------------

Note on SCSI, SCSI should really be the most stable platform out there, it's what's used in servers. As for price you should really check e-bay, I'm seriously considering a 0+1 dual channel raid with an add-on 256MB card such as the adaptec 3210S. 4 36K 15K drives, you could seriously do this for less than 500 bucks.

Compared to; 2x 400 dollar video cards; 800 dollar processors; 300 dollar ram; and 250 dollar sound cards it's not a bad investment. Besides a harddrive is the only thing that makes your computer work from one day to another, stores you vital information (been burned to many times with crashed deskstars etc.).

The only problem is people are scared by 60 dollar harddrive sales producing 200G of storage. Do you really need that much space? Also there is nothing saying that you can't use ata for storage, I use an older 40G ata drive for torrents.

Last edited by vjs (2006-04-11 07:55:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

Uh, price is an option. The actual RAM drives themselves are insanely cheap. It just costs alot to fill them up with large modules.

Otherwise, if you have alot of old memory lying around (even mismatched), you can just toss them in your drive and use it for word processing or, if large enough, graphics files. Or a temporary internet cache file. Or whatever you want. You don't really have to worry about short power outages, as their batteries are long enough to hold whatever information's in there until power comes back up. Just don't forget to move the stuff to your hard drive before you purposefully shut down.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-11 08:11:16)

-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6762|Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Uh, price is an option. The actual RAM drives themselves are insanely cheap. It just costs alot to fill them up with large modules.

Otherwise, if you have alot of old memory lying around (even mismatched), you can just toss them in your drive and use it for word processing or, if large enough, graphics files. Or a temporary internet cache file. Or whatever you want. You don't really have to worry about short power outages, as their batteries are long enough to hold whatever information's in there until power comes back up. Just don't forget to move the stuff to your hard drive before you purposefully shut down.
erm, you would end up with, what, 768mb of iRam Space? not enuf for daily use i think
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

erm, you would end up with, what, 768mb of iRam Space? not enuf for daily use i think
Erm, Nobody's telling you to install Windows XP or important applications on it. '768MB' is more than enough to store active documents and images. Unfortunately, in the area that would be the most assisted by it, you won't have enough space for video and large-scale audio editing/rendering/compressing.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-11 15:02:26)

chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6881|"Frisco"

vjs wrote:

What I'd suggest since price is no option, is a dual opteron board with dual channel ram per cpu. Since you have to buy the ram anyways you could easily put 8G of ram into the system.  Partition off 4G for a ram disk and have it load on startup... there are several programs out there which will copy files from a ram drive to a harddrive (back and forth on boot). You could also do it with scripts considering you shouldn't really have to save bf2 back to harddrive on shutdown.
Good golly what a pain though. That's the single advantage of the RamDrive devices with batteries is that, unlike system memory, they persist between restarts.

I imagine some really smart motherboard will do this to at some point -- maybe.

In other news, Samsung is setting up to release 32GB Solidstate drives. G'damn. Those will be slick as sin. Fast, power-outage-tolerant, no moving parts, small, tiny heat output, SILENT. Take 4 of those, throw them into a raid over SATA2 and it's going to be something else to compete with -- ESPECIALLY in random access tests. (Memory, compared to a physical spinning disk, is extremely good and finding non-synchronous data)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

If any motherboard will do it, chuy, I'll bet it'll be a Tyan.
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6881|"Frisco"

them or iWill (the gibson mobo is by iwill, supports up to 64gb of ram )
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6805|PNW

True, but IWills are immensely expensive. And Tyan's have dual PCI-e >:] (though admittedly, iWills do too, but it felt good to say that).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-11 17:09:26)

PheloniusRM
+8|6732|Mission Viejo, CA
VJS: Which motherboard do you have that supports pci-e and 64bit pci to use the 39320?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard