Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA
Uber Sensitive Cameras Detect that Humans Literally Glow

Gizmodo wrote:

Using cameras so sensitive that they can detect single photons, researchers at Kyoto University discovered that humans emit visible light.

We know, these images look like standard infrared heat maps, but they're not. They actually depict visible light emanating from skin, the results of scientists tracking five 20 year old males standing in front of a dark room camera for frequent sessions throughout a day.

Apparently linked to metabolism, light emittance seemed to rise and fall during the day with the lowpoint tracked to around 10am and the high point around 4pm. Also notable was that the face seemed to constitently emit the most light, a supposed byproduct of more melanin in the skin (the stuff that makes you tanner) because melanin has fluorescent components that might be enhancing the results.
Scientific proof or as the article says, 'linked to metabolism'?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6528|Global Command

Yoda wrote:

Luminous beings are we.
I personally believe in some sort of L.A.D.
13rin
+977|6478

ATG wrote:

Yoda wrote:

Luminous beings are we.
LAD???
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6674|Canberra, AUS
I would be very surprised if humans didn't emit some visible light. As with any black body (and for all intents and purposes humans are), you get the wavelengths of emitted light 'smeared out' across the entire spectrum.

Also the fact that visible light is the same as infrared, just with more punch...

I don't get how this finding makes any link with the soul, though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

DBBrinson1 wrote:

ATG wrote:

Yoda wrote:

Luminous beings are we.
LAD???
Life after death?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

Your body burns carbon and other materials during cell metabolism. This could in theory emit light, in certainly does emit heat.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CommieChipmunk
+488|6569|Portland, OR, USA
How is that proof of a soul...?

That's proof that melanin has fluorescent compounds..
Defiance
+438|6670

Sorry, could someone explain to me what relation a chemical reaction has to the soul?

Someone's been reading Insomnia.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6410|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
If we didn't radiate light, either from our core or reflected, we wouldn't be visible.

Simple, no?
Mr.Dooomed
Find your center.
+752|6327

some people believe each human emits a unique aura. I don't really believe it, but I've heard wacky stories of people being able to see other peoples auras
Nature is a powerful force. Those who seek to subdue nature, never do so permanently.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6152|what

SplinterStrike wrote:

If we didn't radiate light, either from our core or reflected, we wouldn't be visible.

Simple, no?
Radiate =/= reflect or refracting light.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6705
So, how is this proof of a soul?  My lamp emits light, that doesn't mean it has a soul..... Or does it?

Last edited by Deadmonkiefart (2009-07-24 23:30:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard