Kez
+778|5673|London, UK
A man in Western Australia was engulfed in flames when police officers fired a Taser stun gun at him.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p … 161026.stm
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Meh. Saw that on CSI ages ago
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO
Well the guy was pissing about with petrol, what the fuck did he expect?
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Police say they used the Taser on Ronald Mitchell, 36, when he ran at them carrying a container of petrol and a cigarette lighter.

They said that Mr Mitchell, who lives in a remote Aboriginal community, had been sniffing petrol. They suggested the cigarette lighter started the fire.
They didn't have much choice though.

He burst into flames. One officer pushed him to the ground and smothered the fire with his bare hands, police said.
And they tried to put him out, I'll bet it came as a shock for everyone.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP
+78|5785|Fattest Country in the world.

AussieReaper wrote:

Police say they used the Taser on Ronald Mitchell, 36, when he ran at them carrying a container of petrol and a cigarette lighter.

They said that Mr Mitchell, who lives in a remote Aboriginal community, had been sniffing petrol. They suggested the cigarette lighter started the fire.
They didn't have much choice though.

He burst into flames. One officer pushed him to the ground and smothered the fire with his bare hands, police said.
And they tried to put him out, I'll bet it came as a shock for everyone.
I..I can't really say anything. The article summed it up.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Fair enough.

A man runs at you with a can of petrol and a lighter, then pretty much anything goes....

Taser is probably the most sensible option.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-07-21 07:23:02)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

I dunno what I would do if I saw that, probably laugh.  Imagine if you saw the cops shoot a taser and it bursts into flame around a guy, it would be so intense
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP

Bertster7 wrote:

Fair enough.

A man runs at you with a can of petrol and a lighter, then pretty much anything goes....

Baton, Forceful but non threatening melee, police officers are trained to use hand-to-hand combat. Not uncommon to whip out a maglite.
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fair enough.

Baton, Forceful but non threatening melee, police officers are trained to use hand-to-hand combat. Not uncommon to whip out a maglite.
The guy has a can full of petrol and a lighter, do you really want to get close enough to the guy to be able to beat him?
Zombie_Affair
Amputee's...BOOP

Noobeater wrote:

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fair enough.

The guy has a can full of petrol and a lighter, do you really want to get close enough to the guy to be able to beat him?
As an officer of the law, it is your responsibility to Serve and Protect the public in the interest of safety and upholding the law. The man in the OP was sniffing petrol and was most likely high as a kite, a distraction from one officer while another gets behind him and gets the lighter away would be sufficient. The petrol wasn't a danger neither was the lighter, the fact he was in a psychotic state of mind is what made him dangerous. The taser was a bad idea, I mean, if the officer went into melee range with a maglite of example, what's the guy going to do? Try and set himself on fire? I'm pretty sure I could have him disarmed before that and even if he was successful I would have him in custody and simply douse the flames. There is little danger of him setting me on fire because the process isn't speedy, he would literally have to throw the petrol onto/at me then light the lighter and try and set me alight. It's just not going to happen.

If he sets himself on fire, that's his own fault, I would douse the flames but that's no risk to me, only to him.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6548|Columbus, OH
AUSTRAILIA FOOK YAHHHH!!!!!
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6417|Boulder, CO

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

Zombie_Affair wrote:

As an officer of the law, it is your responsibility to Serve and Protect the public in the interest of safety and upholding the law. The man in the OP was sniffing petrol and was most likely high as a kite, a distraction from one officer while another gets behind him and gets the lighter away would be sufficient. The petrol wasn't a danger neither was the lighter, the fact he was in a psychotic state of mind is what made him dangerous. The taser was a bad idea, I mean, if the officer went into melee range with a maglite of example, what's the guy going to do? Try and set himself on fire? I'm pretty sure I could have him disarmed before that and even if he was successful I would have him in custody and simply douse the flames. There is little danger of him setting me on fire because the process isn't speedy, he would literally have to throw the petrol onto/at me then light the lighter and try and set me alight. It's just not going to happen.

If he sets himself on fire, that's his own fault, I would douse the flames but that's no risk to me, only to him.
If he lit the can of petrol it'd do more than just catch on fire, if the officer was close enough to try to hit him at the point of ignition that officer would be burnt to hell. In my opinion the safety of a police officer is worth more than the safety of a psychotic person.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Doesn't take much to pour a container upside down while holding lighter. Bet the cop with the maglite would be pissed when his shoes catch on fire, along with the rest of him.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Fair enough.

A) Batons often do more lasting damage than tasers.
B) Melee with a man with a lighter and can of petrol, which don't forget is highly explosive, is foolish. There are hundreds of things that could've gone horribly wrong.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Berts right there.

But I'd like to point out that taser use is fairly new in Australia, it was only recently passed into legislation that police could use them, now that the small trial period is over where only senior officers could use them.

They obviously need more training, but I'd still rather tasers in use than guns.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Holy shit that's pretty fucking Haven't you guys played the Syphon Filter games or Riot Response Urban Chaos where if you hold the taser on an enemy too long he spontaneously combusts?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Yeah fuck that. I'm all for the police using less unnecessary violence, but this cunt had it coming. They should have just shot him though, then he wouldn't have caught on fire.
_raab
+28|6203|Western Aust.
With the amount of bullshit I see the cops go through around Perth and Kalgoorlie i'm surprised the cops don't use them more often. Let em rip I say.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

Zombie_Affair wrote:

Noobeater wrote:

Yeah fuck that. I'm all for the police using less unnecessary violence, but this cunt had it coming. They should have just shot him though, then he wouldn't have caught on fire.
But if they'd missed and hit the petrol can.....

KABOOM!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

In the movies, yes. IRL (isn't internet speak fun?) it's be all gravy.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

In the movies, yes. IRL (isn't internet speak fun?) it's be all gravy.
I dunno....

Have you ever used petrol to start a fire? It's not a good idea. My mate tried doing it once, despite me telling him it was a very bad idea. I hid behind some stuff as he threw petrol over a big pile of timber and then chucked a match in. The whole thing exploded and he got knocked down (didn't get knocked out - so I felt quite justified in laughing at him for many hours) by a bit of wood hitting him in the head.

Muppet.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Oh I don't deny it can be explosive. But unless you're shooting it with tracers it's not going to catch. Mythbusters innit.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

ghettoperson wrote:

Oh I don't deny it can be explosive. But unless you're shooting it with tracers it's not going to catch. Mythbusters innit.
I don't know. I've never tried shooting any cans of petrol.

I'll take your word for it though.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD
That's kinda epic
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
CrazeD
+368|6643|Maine
I have had all kinds of fun with gas. It absolutely does not explode when you shoot it. In fact, it's pretty hard to get it to explode at all. If you were to throw a match into a gas can, it would just light on fire pretty violently. Maybe make a big fireball. But it's not going to explode. And when I say explode, I mean like, KABOOM and make a crater. Not gonna happen.

EDIT: Oh, and for the record: shooting pressurized shit doesn't explode either. Not even with tracers. According to the Mythbusters, it requires an incendiary round. And luck.

Last edited by CrazeD (2009-07-21 12:10:40)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard