Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6557|San Diego, CA, USA
Once this plan starts you will no longer be able to sign up for private health insurance plans.

EDIT: I meant private, not public.  You can keep your current private plan but you can't change it.  And if you get a new plan it must be the government plan.

Last edited by Harmor (2009-07-16 19:46:54)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Here's the article...it'll be illegal to own private insurance:
http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticle … 8165656854
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Obama wants Congress to relinquish control of price setting for Medicare reimbursements:
http://insureblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ … icare.html

Its a powergrab if I ever saw one.
imortal
+240|6673|Austin, TX
Yes, but those who favor it will not care.  It is a bill designed to destroy the healthcare industry.
CC-Marley
+407|6837
I like my health insurance. I pay $53.50 a week for individual. No dental though. We've changed plans 3 times in 10 years.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

So the argument is that lots of Americans are currently getting crap, cheap insurance that doesn't cover lots of very important things and actually providing them with decent health insurance is bad?
That's not the argument at all.
It's a big part of the CNN article's argument
It's not mine.

PF wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

Remember that I agree that this is a bad idea, moving straight to a complete UHC system makes vastly more sense as those articles plainly point out. The Obama proposal neatly sidesteps most of the advantageous saving that a government run system can achieve.
And thus you see the problem with our government trying to do something like UHC. They can't even get something this small even close to workable...why the hell would anyone think they can do it on the scale of a UHC?
The problem is that it is still hanging on to the collosally wasteful and completely unsustainable private health sector. If they want it to work they would be well advised to ditch the private part.
And destroy 1/6th of the US GDP? Sounds like a great plan. Let's go ahead and pull that much money (and associated jobs and tax revenue) out of our economy right now. Brilliant.

PF wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

You accuse me of dismissing information out of hand (which I didn't) without caring about the veracity,
Based solely on previous behavior, mind you.
So far just within this thread you've wrongly argued that UHC would damage the GDP of the nation, implied that the costs of the Obama plan will all occur in one year (there's no other way that it could increase debt by 25%)
Last time I did some math, debt is cumulative if it's not paid off. I never stated nor implied it would happen all in one year. That's an utterly ridiculous--and entirely unfounded--stretch on your part.

PF wrote:

wrongly stated that it will increase national debt (it's being covered by taxes and reduction in other programs)
That must be why every single estimate shows that it will add to the national debt.

PF wrote:

claimed the program will only cover a small number of the currently uninsured when it is actually going to be an option for pretty well all Americans
It is intended to cover the "46 million" who are currently "uninsured" (which is a false number, btw). The fact that it may be open to others is irrelevant...its stated intent is to provide coverage for that small minority.

PF wrote:

then claimed that few people will be interested
No, I didn't. I said that after they had switched and dealt with the bullshit, they will want to switch back.

PF wrote:

and given that when Medicare when up against private insurers and now almost dominates the market the complete reverse of this assumption is more likely.
Bullshit. Medicare is still a minority of the overall healthcare market.

PF wrote:

You also claim to have a bettter knowledge of the future costs of the program than the CBO. That's a whole lot if information you've been dismissing just in this thread so far.
No, I don't. I was using CBO numbers and CBO-documented historical trends.

PF wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

yet you dismiss the CBO estimate out of hand claiming that the costs will be 4 times larger than this. You think that you know better than the CBO?
It's not just me...that's the historic trend, pointed out by many. A pretty thorough breakdown of CBO scoring and the issues with it can be found here. Note the example of the Medicare Prescription Drug program.

It depends on how you look at the number. If you look at it as evenly divided over the 10-year span, it seems reasonable. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Then you look beyond the 10-year window, with annual spending of the nature we historically see (take Medicare example)...and the total cost literally skyrockets beyond the 10-year point. It is certainly not a linear relationship.
Heritage foundation, an organisation that is openly bised agains government programs believes that this will have higher than expected costs? Big shock there.
The 10-year cost of the drug subsidy program, originally estimated at $634 billion, has been revised to about $395 million
The rise in the medicare drug costs stem from a combination of a wildy inefficient pharmecuticals industry and lobbyists that forced through a law preventing Medicare from bargining with drugs companies to drive down prices. Again the problem here is the private sector and it's influence.
You dismiss a source because you disagree with them...big shock there. You may want to actually READ the article. And check the CV of the guy who wrote it.

You find a SINGLE source to support your position...when there are many more that support the opposite WRT the medicare drug prescription program's costs. But that's OK. Unlike you, I won't dismiss your source simply because I disagree with it...I'll dismiss it because there are far, far more that say the opposite.

PF wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

You also seem to be failing to get a whole great big aspect of this program, it will cover a whole bunch of those who are currently insured as well. Lots of people who have insurance will swap to the government system, thusly the costs of this program are going to be offset by the reduction of money being wasted in the current private system. Hopefully it'll put a load of crappier insurance companies out of business.
It will present an OPTION. That certainly doesn't mean people will flock to it. Now, that may happen initially...until they realize how crappy it is and go back to their old insurance. And yes, I speak from experience, as I am required to use govt-provided health insurance for myself (HMO-style). It is a night and day difference between the level of "care" I receive and the level of care my family receives (using a PPO style insurance). My entire family used to be under the HMO/UHC-style govt insurance. They will never go back. I wouldn't if I had the option...but I don't.

PF wrote:

I haven't seen anyone make that argument, so why feel the need to try and debunk it?
Not in this thread, but it was just a matter of time, since it always comes up when someone from somewhere else tries to tell us how badly we need a UHC.
Again, go see how well Medicare did vs. Medicare plus or whatever the private system was called before it all but folded due to not being able to compete with the public sector.
That must be why the private sector has succeeded so well. Because it's so much worse than the public sector.

Or not.

Oh, and you're talking about some kind of historical system. I'm talking about a government-run system TODAY. How it works (or actually doesn't) TODAY. And how frustrating the lack of choice/recourse when you get shit medical care sucks TODAY. And you want to saddle the entire population with that bullshit.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-07-18 16:22:06)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Get ready for even MORE taxes under this bill...the Democrats are not done yet:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25104.html
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

The problem is that it is still hanging on to the collosally wasteful and completely unsustainable private health sector. If they want it to work they would be well advised to ditch the private part.
And destroy 1/6th of the US GDP? Sounds like a great plan. Let's go ahead and pull that much money (and associated jobs and tax revenue) out of our economy right now. Brilliant.
In most socialized systems, the private market still flourishes.  For example, in France, the public programs take care of basic care, while more advanced procedures are usually done by private care.

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

wrongly stated that it will increase national debt (it's being covered by taxes and reduction in other programs)
That must be why every single estimate shows that it will add to the national debt.
Even if we assume that a socialized system will add to the national debt, it will rise slower than the private debts incurred by hospitals who continually must deal with patients that don't pay up and the private debts of the patients themselves.

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

claimed the program will only cover a small number of the currently uninsured when it is actually going to be an option for pretty well all Americans
It is intended to cover the "46 million" who are currently "uninsured" (which is a false number, btw). The fact that it may be open to others is irrelevant...its stated intent is to provide coverage for that small minority.
If employer plans are gradually replaced by socialized medicine, then the system will serve everyone, not just the previously uninsured.

FEOS wrote:

PF wrote:

Heritage foundation, an organisation that is openly bised agains government programs believes that this will have higher than expected costs? Big shock there.
The 10-year cost of the drug subsidy program, originally estimated at $634 billion, has been revised to about $395 million
The rise in the medicare drug costs stem from a combination of a wildy inefficient pharmecuticals industry and lobbyists that forced through a law preventing Medicare from bargining with drugs companies to drive down prices. Again the problem here is the private sector and it's influence.
You dismiss a source because you disagree with them...big shock there. You may want to actually READ the article. And check the CV of the guy who wrote it.

You find a SINGLE source to support your position...when there are many more that support the opposite WRT the medicare drug prescription program's costs. But that's OK. Unlike you, I won't dismiss your source simply because I disagree with it...I'll dismiss it because there are far, far more that say the opposite.
Can you prove that last statement?  The reason why I ask is because there are many socialized systems throughout the world that aren't rising in costs as fast as our private system is.  It seems odd that the American market would somehow operate in the reverse of much of the world (basically most of it) when it comes to costs.

FEOS wrote:

That must be why the private sector has succeeded so well. Because it's so much worse than the public sector.

Or not.

Oh, and you're talking about some kind of historical system. I'm talking about a government-run system TODAY. How it works (or actually doesn't) TODAY. And how frustrating the lack of choice/recourse when you get shit medical care sucks TODAY. And you want to saddle the entire population with that bullshit.
The present French system is better than ours in terms of accessibility and affordability.  So is Norway's.  So are many other European systems.

The private sector works well in terms of accumulating profit, but it's not so good at keeping costs reasonable.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-07-19 13:24:22)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Does this bill stop malpractice suits?  I mean you can't sue the government, right?  This bill doesn't make doctors/hospitals government employees does it?  I have to ask because I haven't read the 1018 page bill.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Does this bill stop malpractice suits?  I mean you can't sue the government, right?  This bill doesn't make doctors/hospitals government employees does it?  I have to ask because I haven't read the 1018 page bill.
Usually, socialized systems implement a form of tort reform.  Settlements don't tend to be as outrageous, but doctors are still held accountable.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Tort reform is good...it reduces costs for doctors with Malpractice insurance.  But couldn't we do that without all these government oversite?  Seems overkill.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD
The funniest part is that Congress doesn't want to enroll under their own healthcare program:

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/15/co … obamacare/

(Apparently they recently voted 12-11, so it didn't pass)

They should be willing to put their money where their mouths are.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Turquoise
O Canada

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

The funniest part is that Congress doesn't want to enroll under their own healthcare program:

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/15/co … obamacare/

(Apparently they recently voted 12-11, so it didn't pass)

They should be willing to put their money where their mouths are.
Michelle is usually full of shit, but she's right this time.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Well...looks like how the Democrats will get Obamacare paid for is by having the IRS involved:

Senate rejects amendment to strip out IRS reporting requirement in new health care law.

And now the law sticks.  Good news for the IRS, bad news for us.
Turquoise
O Canada

Harmor wrote:

Well...looks like how the Democrats will get Obamacare paid for is by having the IRS involved:

Senate rejects amendment to strip out IRS reporting requirement in new health care law.

How else do you expect to hold people accountable?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Turquoise wrote:

Harmor wrote:

How else do you expect to hold people accountable?
By not creating a government program in the first place so people can choose for themselves.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

So Harmor ...

1. I'd like you to explain what government should do and not do ... what could be done better by corporations ...

2. Do you care for the welfare of your ...
a) Family?
b) Friends?
c) Neighbour?
d) The ones living a block away?
e) People living on the other side of town?
f) People living in other towns/states?
g) People living in the US?

3. Where do you draw the line about people you care about and people that can fuck off?

4. Is it easier to not care about people you don't know?

5. Hypothetical ... if you knew everybody in the US, would you care for their well being?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6640|Finland

A true patriot should.
I need around tree fiddy.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Varegg wrote:

So Harmor ...
I'll bite.

Varegg wrote:

1. I'd like you to explain what government should do and not do ...
That's an open-ended question because you have different levels of government that are responsible for different things; so lets break this down by the Federal Government, the State Government, and then the Local government.

Federal Government role should be to defend the country from invaders foreign and domestic.  That includes working with state and local authorizes to enforce our borders (its not exclusively ICE's job, for example, to round up all the illegals at Home Depot, but when a local police officer pulls over an illegal they should work together to 1) Identify this person; 2) detain them for ICE officials; and 3) transfer them to the authorities in a timely manner for deportation).

I believe that the Federal government should be limited to what was written in the Constitution.  The Constitution actually lists all the power of the federal government like: to coin money and regulate its value; provide for punishment for counterfeiting; establish post offices and roads, promote progress of science by issuing patents, create federal courts inferior to the Supreme Court, define and punish piracies and felonies, declare war, raise and support armies, provide and maintain a navy, make rules for the regulation of land and naval forces, provide for, arm, and discipline the militia, exercise exclusive legislation in the District of Columbia, and to make laws necessary to properly execute powers.

Everything else should go to the states, by the 10th Amendment of the Constitution.

Should the federal government have a Board of Education, no.  Should the federal government regulate treaties and trade with countries, yes.  Should the federal government mandate that we all have health insurance, no. 

The question is very broad and I hope I answered it to your satisfaction.

---

Varegg wrote:

what could be done better by corporations ...
Businesses and corporations have a role, buts it not to govern.  They can, through open contracts and transparency, bid for jobs and aid our government (i.e. a Food service company contracts to run the cafeteria - this contract was open to bidding and the bids and any relations to public employees were visible to everyone - no impropriety).

What's concerning though is corporations have a huge influence in government policy through lobbyists and that upsets me.  I have no problem with them buy newspaper ads or tv/radio spots trying to influence us, but when they are actually writing the laws that are inserted into bills or having their lobbyist sleep with the regulators (i.e. BP), that's where I draw the line.

---

Varegg wrote:

2. Do you care for the welfare of your ...
a) Family?
b) Friends?
c) Neighbour?
d) The ones living a block away?
e) People living on the other side of town?
f) People living in other towns/states?
g) People living in the US?
Yes.  And how I do that is not to have the government tell me how I should be generous to them or make them slaves to the state through welfare programs.  What's sad is that Liberials aren't as generous with their own money as Conservatives.  Liberials are generious with other peoples' money.

So when you see a bum on the street a Conservative is more likely to give the guy a buck or buy them a meal, whereas a Liberial would expect some government program or agency to be responsible for them.

I care for my fellow citizens by doing supporting and donating to candidates who make sure the burdens of overreaching regulations and heavily burdensome taxes are minimized.  A government check doesn't instill self worth, rather it help generate a permanent underclass of people that perpetually keep Liberials in power.

According to my taxes last year I gave ~7% of my earned income to charities (i.e. church, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego, Mam's House (a food bank), a couple of Veterans organizations, and Military family support organization like MOM - Military Outreach Ministry).

I also volunteer my time, but not as often as I wish I could - gotta pay all these taxes.

---

Varegg wrote:

3. Where do you draw the line about people you care about and people that can fuck off?
When a person expects a hand-out instead of being humbled when its offered - when they expect it its extortion when they are humbled its a gift.

---

Varegg wrote:

4. Is it easier to not care about people you don't know?
That's a good question.  Its not about not caring for the well-being for people you don't know (obviously you will care more forpeople near you like your mother, father, brother, sister, wife, kids, etc...), its about giving a care at all for someone you don't know.

I don't know you, but I care that you do well.  I don't want ill to happen to you either, but do I care more for you than my immediate family, no.

---

Varegg wrote:

5. Hypothetical ... if you knew everybody in the US, would you care for their well being?
Yes.  The only people I don't care for their well being are child molesters, rapists, murders, or basically anyone that hurts other human beings; for all I care their bodies will be eternally ripped apart and their flesh burned in Hell.
Varegg
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

Excellent and tnx for your time Harmor ... all though I don't agree on the basic politics behind it I appreciate your answers as your point of view

Some comments to your post.

*About the handouts to strangers concerning Cons and Libs I believe that is an old misconception in the same way that Liberals wants a large government while Cons wants little or no government.

*Federal/State government takes care of justice and security, that includes military, police, firefighters etc etc  ... why shouldn't they take care of your health in addition to that?

*Getting rid of all the useless programs that are the really expensive part of present healtcare programs and end profit based health insurance would open up for ONE complete plan for a universal health system that would save citizens and the government money, it has a few flaws but it works in many countries of different sizes ... and nobody is left out in the cold. Its got nothing to do with either socialism or communism, it is implemented by both capitalistic and "socialistic" governments ...

*I understand why you mistrust your government, I would likely feel the same if laws and bills was passed in Norway based on personal enrichment and not what is best for the country and its populace ... I know this is a very simplified assertion but still ...

I agree however that federal government should have as few responsibilities as possible and only deal with issues concerning the entire country, that sounds natural and it will also make politics more understandable ...

Would be a too long post to list all functions that should be distributed by Fed, State and Local government but we pretty much agree on the basics except healthcare

Corporations are important, maybe more important that the government but really they can't work without each other, yes corporations can help government and very often they do and vice versa ... it's in both interest that the country as a whole is doing well and the latter seems to escape the corporations from time to time because they really don't care enough about the well being of the US when their goal is to enlarge a already huge surplus on the account of a few thousand workers ... they seem to forget that working Americans are their biggest asset.

Corporations can do some tasks better and cheaper that the government but they can also do it less efficient and more expensive ...

I don't want a huge government either Harmor, I want an efficient government ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6725
I talked about welfare to a few people in Taiwan they all replied me with this "What I can get money from the government without paying? what the fuck is this shit im moving to America."

There should be welfare but not to the amount where it's better off sucking off the governments dick than to find a job. Welfare for working people is ok for my books. I'd say it's actually cheaper to spend money on welfare to make some people deter from crime.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Varegg
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

Cybargs wrote:

I talked about welfare to a few people in Taiwan they all replied me with this "What I can get money from the government without paying? what the fuck is this shit im moving to America."

There should be welfare but not to the amount where it's better off sucking off the governments dick than to find a job. Welfare for working people is ok for my books. I'd say it's actually cheaper to spend money on welfare to make some people deter from crime.
The debate should be where to draw the line not if one should have welfare or not ... make a system that works, make it so it pays more to participate but at the same time takes care of the few that falls outside ...
jord
+2,382|6687|The North, beyond the wall.
Serious, aggravated crime would rise quickly if welfare was removed completely. Not planned, victimless crimes but just straight mugging old women for £20 at knifepoint.
Varegg
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

jord wrote:

Serious, aggravated crime would rise quickly if welfare was removed completely. Not planned, victimless crimes but just straight mugging old women for £20 at knifepoint.
I tried explaining that a good while ago that crime, welfare, economy, unemployment rates etc etc  ... that it is all linked together but it didn't draw much attention ...
jord
+2,382|6687|The North, beyond the wall.

Varegg wrote:

jord wrote:

I tried explaining that a good while ago that crime, welfare, economy, unemployment rates etc etc  ... that it is all linked together but it didn't draw much attention ...
The simplest explanation is if people genuinely cannot find work and have no other means to make money, they may well resort to crime.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard