blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
Wanted: 250 Maine drivers willing to let a stranger put a black box under their dashboard.

The reward: $895 and the opportunity to speak their minds about the highway tax experiment to a researcher.

University of Iowa researchers are seeking 250 motorists in Cumberland, York and Sagadahoc counties willing to have a computer tracking system installed in their cars for 10 months. The system could someday be used to tax drivers according to the number of miles they drive, rather than the amount of gasoline they consume.

Portland is one of six cities picked for the research, which is designed to determine whether a mileage tax would work better than the gas tax to support the country’s highway system.

Advertising for volunteers in Maine will start at the end of the month, said John Kuhl, an electrical and computer engineering professor in charge of the research. The aim of the study is not just to see whether the technology works, but also to find out whether drivers would accept it.

The $16.5 million study for the U.S. Department of Transportation was authorized in 2005 by Congress, which like the Maine Legislature and other state lawmaking bodies, has been grappling with how to fund the nation’s aging highway system.

source

Wut do u think? good idea bad idea? Should drivers be taxed or based on how much they drive rather on how much gas they consume? Would this be fair game or no or will it inspire people to ride bicycles and walk like in good old days?
Defiance
+438|6641

Makes perfect sense to me, in a completely cynical way. If the change occurs, then the govt makes the same amount of money off of someone with a Prius versus someone with.. a Murcielago.
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5950|Toronto
Yeah, I like this. Except that the speed should also be taken into account: highway driving be taxed less than city driving. Don't know how that would work, though.
I like pie.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
There is no completely fair system. But on the flip side, hard acceleration and braking does more damage to roads then smooth freeway driving. Also it can be argued that the taxes are not only for road use but air pollution, which generally equates to petrol used over km travelled.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

That would totally fuck me. I drive about 75 miles per day just to get to work. I already spend $100/week on gas.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

NC is trying to push a .005 cent per mile tax ...................... fuck that
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Yeah, and while we are at it let's tax people according to how often they call and/or use police and fire services.  Sorry, but part of living in a western society like the US is agreeing to the social contract our various levels of government provide.  That means everyday people pay a sort of insurance (in the form of tax) so that when something does happen to an individual the cost is offset by the general public.

In other words, I do not agree with this proposition.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA
Sounds good on paper until you realize that you could track the location of everyone with that box.  Additionally things like the gas tax on the sale of gasoline are paid by everyone, even those who are not residents of the state.
Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

King_County_Downy wrote:

That would totally fuck me. I drive about 75 miles per day just to get to work. I already spend $100/week on gas.
Git a better job ya hick.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Ryan wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

Git a better job ya hick.
I live in the city and work in the country. But I am kind of a hick so... yeah, you're right. It is time to start looking for a better job that's closer to home.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
This is called a stealth Big Brother scheme.  Onstar is another one.

Whenever you have something installed on your vehicle that tracks your movements or location, it can be easily abused by government via things like the Patriot Act.  This taxation idea is just a more blatant way to track people.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

Whenever you have something installed on your vehicle that tracks your movements or location, it can be easily abused by government via things like the Patriot Act.  This taxation idea is just a more blatant way to track people.
Except the Patriot Act did/does nothing of the sort.

But the little black boxes would provide a pretty tempting target for officials who wanted to abuse power.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
Something like this was proposed over here a while back, with insurance benefits or something.

Can't remember how the trial fared, but i havn't heard of it since.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

FatherTed wrote:

Something like this was proposed over here a while back, with insurance benefits or something.

Progressive Insurance here gives you a rebate if you install a little device in your car that monitors your driving habits...and they adjust your rates according to what it tells them.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

FEOS wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

Progressive Insurance here gives you a rebate if you install a little device in your car that monitors your driving habits...and they adjust your rates according to what it tells them.
Oh it could just have been that then. I remember not hearing about it, laughing a bit then forgetting about it.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

But the little black boxes would provide a pretty tempting target for officials who wanted to abuse power.
The Patriot Act makes use of other forms of tracking -- like on cell phones.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker

King_County_Downy wrote:

This.  About the same mileage though I'm fortunate enough to spend about half that on gas.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

The Patriot Act makes use of other forms of tracking -- like on cell phones.
But not on US citizens without probable cause and not when they are exclusively domestic (to include the calls). Title 50, US Code is still in effect.
― Albert Einstein

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686
another way to tax people... these guys are good...
This will not work as intended... More than likely it will raise prices on goods related to the people who have to pay more to provide their services
The govt is running out of rich people(top 10 percent of wealthiest Americans pay 70 percent of the taxes)...
The rest of us are in their crosshairs for taxes... they know what's good for us and we should be thanking them...
Love is the answer
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

This will not work as intended... More than likely it will raise prices on goods related to the people who have to pay more to provide their services
The govt is running out of rich people(top 10 percent of wealthiest Americans pay 70 percent of the taxes)...
The rest of us are in their crosshairs for taxes... they know what's good for us and we should be thanking them...
Actually this is going to be a cash cow for people who learn how to fuck with the boxes and start charging people to lower their tax.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686

Macbeth wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Actually this is going to be a cash cow for people who learn how to fuck with the boxes and start charging people to lower their tax.
true, lol... people will always figure out a way to scam...
Love is the answer
The#1Spot
+105|6509|byah
Dosent this scam make fuel efficient cars 40mpg< irrelevant? The whole idea of getting the most out of your gallon of fuel is now out of the question. The question is why is the Govt not taxing a vehicle by its engine size instead.
13rin
+977|6449
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6518|San Diego, CA, USA
Seems you won your bet.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6456|Newcastle Upon Tyne.

DBBrinson1 wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2638872#p2638872
Now give me the lottery numbers and i might be impressed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard