cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6665|NJ
Ok I had to go to court on Friday.. It was actually really annoying I went on a beach after dark in Long Island, which is totally legal in New Jersey. A Rookie(I can only assume because he took forever with the paper work) pulled up and told me I couldn't be there. I said OK Sorry Officer I didn't know, my girl and I were going to see a movie and we decided to look at the stars for a moment before we went.

So I get a ticket for it.. A Must appear in Court Ticket..

The judge was very stern but fair, he was kicking all the late people out of the court room and only allowed those with tickets to be there.. He was throwing out tickets left and right. There were 5 people before me and only one got a ticket and the rest provided proof that the tickets weren't there's.

So I get in front of the judge he announces what my ticket is.

"being in a park after dark, do you sear to tell the whole truth, and what is your name and address"

I spit out my name address and proceed to say "guilty due to ignorance"

He says "New Jersey wow that's a long commute"

I said "yeah I know I would have been glad to just pay a fine and be done with it"

He asks "why were you there"

I told him the reason and this is what he says..

"it's not ignorance, over here in New York we have all sorts of crazy laws.. In New Jersey you're allowed to walk the beaches when ever you want, I'm going to dismiss this cause you obviously didn't know"

This is actually a little hopefully for our system. Even though I had to miss two days of work to get there( I went once and it was postponed), and really was at the courts digression. He could have thrown what could have been a 200 dollar fine at me for all I know. Thank fully we still have some people who sit in  high places who have a little common sense.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
You can't go to the beach (park) after dark?

Ohh dear god.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2009-07-13 12:20:49)

Swan
The town bike
+54|5417
in my experience judges are fair as long as you don't waste their time with bullshit
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6551|SE London

It's good when you get decent judges. He's also right, it is a crazy law.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

DrunkFace wrote:

Ohh dear good.
well its new york dude
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

usmarine wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Ohh dear good.
well its new york dude
That meant to mean anything?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

DrunkFace wrote:

ja
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

DrunkFace wrote:

usmarine wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Ohh dear good.
well its new york dude
There are liberals in New York.

EDIT: @OP - good to hear you got that cleared up without getting fined for something stupid.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2009-07-13 12:24:17)

usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

and jews
cpt.fass1
+329|6665|NJ
and real crazy tickets.. Just FYI if anyone is going to visit, you park on the side of the road and wait for someone in the city, make sure to turn your engine off. It's an UP TO 2,000 dollar ticket, I can't wait till they tax themself to death.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
Many cities in the US "close" their parks between night time hours. I believe they justify this because of the crimes that often happen in parks at night. Vandalism, drug use, prostitution, sexual acts, public intoxication, assault, robbery, etc. I believe most cops use it as an excuse to stop someone and see if they are actually up to no good, but I'm sure there are plenty that give out the lame ass tickets.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

I often feel sorry District Court judges. They deal with all the trivial shit like tickets "for being on a beach after dark". They go through  thousands of things like that a day and they know as well as you do how stupid some of them are. If you're courtious and just go along with them as you did they'll really appreciate it and in most cases let you off.

If you went in there going "This is a stupid charge and I had to come all the way from NJ to be here to deal with this stupid thing etc. etc." he would have thrown the book at you and taken a certain amount of pleasure in it too.

Basically they're the Moderators of the real world. I've met two and we got on really well.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

Ty wrote:

Basically they're the Moderators of the real world.
lawl
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

@ cpt.fass1 ; glad it worked out. i was cited once for a running light being out on my truck.
cop from next city over gave me a ticket. i asked him "who can sign off on this?" "Sign off? you're going to court . . ."

when i appeared the judge asked "what are you doing here?" i said i fixed the light, but the cop told me to appear.
he asked me for my copy of the ticket, thanked me for appearing, and when i left i heard him tell the baillif
"get that dumbass in here."
cpt.fass1
+329|6665|NJ
Yeah the only thing I can really say is "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"..

It's frustrating, I have to say I was nervous as all hell going.. There was no fine on the ticket and I really thought it was just a blank check for New York which is really struggling for money right now. They just raised all the bridges, tunnels, rail system and sales tax, up a whole lot. Someones got to pay for the crossing guards they call police(not all police just the ones they have at every single light around time square).
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

no wonder why there is always dog shit on the streets of NY, you can't walk your dog in the park at night
13rin
+977|6449

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I had to miss two days of work to get there( I went once and it was postponed), and really was at the courts digression. He could have thrown what could have been a 200 dollar fine at me for all I know. Thank fully we still have some people who sit in  high places who have a little common sense.
That and you missed two days of work.  If your salary, then no biggie -but hourly?  Big deal
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
cpt.fass1
+329|6665|NJ

DBBrinson1 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I had to miss two days of work to get there( I went once and it was postponed), and really was at the courts digression. He could have thrown what could have been a 200 dollar fine at me for all I know. Thank fully we still have some people who sit in  high places who have a little common sense.
That and you missed two days of work.  If your salary, then no biggie -but hourly?  Big deal
Well I work commission I guess you can say. So it was a pretty big deal alot of work not done that needed to get gone.. Majority of people now with the budgets cut backs and the state of the economy would have some sort of penalty for missing the work.
13rin
+977|6449

cpt.fass1 wrote:

DBBrinson1 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Well I work commission I guess you can say. So it was a pretty big deal alot of work not done that needed to get gone.. Majority of people now with the budgets cut backs and the state of the economy would have some sort of penalty for missing the work.
Yea, then I'd say you paid your $200 fine -in a way...  But at least the Judge was cool. Oh, that is a stupid law.
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Ghandi767
+17|6592|Hanging in the Balance
Similar to cops, most judges are fine people as long as you don't dick around. If you're a smartass, you're in trouble.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard