TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5951|Toronto
Okay, so here's the deal: my rents give me a free laptop as a finished-IB gift. I negotiated this: I get a smaller, cheaper laptop, alpng with an upgrade to bring the desktop I have with me.

I've got about 700 euros to play with (although I have to order from Canada, so 1100 dollars).

Considering the lappy will be used for mostly work stuff, along with light-duty audio editing and gaming and be able to output decent video, I have three options lined up:

1. Acer Aspire One

2. Acer Aspire Timeline

3. Acer Aspire

Yeah, I'm an Acer fan, although anything similar will be gladly considered. I just need between 11 and 14.5 inches of screen, at least 1.33 gHz and 2 gigs of RAM. Higher performance is appreciated, but I don't want to get above 750 bucks (excluding shipping)

Now, depending on the lappy's price, here's what I have planned for my desktop.
I already have:

M2N32-sli mobo (will change)
AMD 64 x2 5200+ (will change)
450W PSU (keeping if adequate)
Enough HDDs
Raidmax Sagitta case (keeper)
BFG 9800GT OCd (to go)
Creative ES1373 (hardly used, as I prefer the Soundmax 1987 HD) and Envy24 soundcards
Some Corsair RAM, which was top of the line 4 years ago (might go)
Zalman [something] CPU cooler (might keep)

I've been with AMD all my life, but would consider switching.

So, considering these ultra-specific requirements, what do the wizards of BF2s have to offer?
I like pie.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat
Laptop: Aspire- I would go with this because of the graphics, screen size, and CPU.
Desktop: nVIDIA 750i Mobo, E8400 if you don't multi-task much, Q9550 if you do. Graphics GTX 260 core 216. If budget allows upgrade to 650 watt PSU, Antec Earthwatts. Didn't take budget into consideration here and I can modify this if needed.
TSI
+247|5951|Toronto

Reddhedd wrote:

Laptop: Aspire- I would go with this because of the graphics, screen size, and CPU.
Desktop: nVIDIA 750i Mobo, E8400 if you don't multi-task much, Q9550 if you do. Graphics GTX 260 core 216. If budget allows upgrade to 650 watt PSU, Antec Earthwatts. Didn't take budget into consideration here and I can modify this if needed.
Thanks!
I guess the next thing to do is convince my father that I'll need more cash. I can get the Q9550 for 250, and the 750i for 150. I have 0 dollars for gfx, unfortunately. That's why I was leaning to AMD (cheaper)
I like pie.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat

TSI wrote:

Reddhedd wrote:

Thanks!
I guess the next thing to do is convince my father that I'll need more cash. I can get the Q9550 for 250, and the 750i for 150. I have 0 dollars for gfx, unfortunately. That's why I was leaning to AMD (cheaper)
That's why if you don't multi-task you should take the E8400, which overclocks like cake, instead of the Q9550. Unless you are a serious multi-tasker I would go with the E8400.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
Uni laptop? Work tasks, quick and easy use, great audio+video capability and integration?

Acer? Why not just call up Dell already and tell them to take £5k from your bank account, and poop in your grandmother's urn?

Macbook.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Uzique wrote:

Uni laptop? Work tasks, quick and easy use, great audio+video capability and integration?

Acer? Why not just call up Dell already and tell them to take £5k from your bank account, and poop in your grandmother's urn?

Macbook.
For that money though, you're looking at the one with the tiny screen with a slow processor and little RAM. If you've got shit-tonnes of cash to spend, by all means get a MacBook Pro, however for that budget it's not really worth it. Your money would go a lot further in something else.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Do you need an SLI board?
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat

Uzique wrote:

Macbook.
Macbook? Uzique I will give you a blowjob everday of the year if you can find one for $700 that is not used or on ebay.
TSI
+247|5951|Toronto

FFLink wrote:

Depends on the gfx solution.

Zeek, I`m not getting a Macbook. I can`t stand the OS, and I don`t really want to waste money. A PC will do the same for 1/2 the price.

'Kay, looks like I need to be more specific with my usage: I will play music while playing games with the browser open. That's about as heavy as it gets: say, GTA4 with WMP and firefox (I know that's stupid--I wouldn't do it, just here to serve as reference). My current build can handle it, but I want new stuff, so I can run more games on high.
I like pie.
Teamsreth
Complete Tanker
+17|6813|England

Uzique wrote:

Perhaps its just me, but could you explain this?

Buy an Acer, and it will cost you 5K?
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat

TSI wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Zeek, I`m not getting a Macbook. I can`t stand the OS, and I don`t really want to waste money. A PC will do the same for 1/2 the price.

'Kay, looks like I need to be more specific with my usage: I will play music while playing games with the browser open. That's about as heavy as it gets: say, GTA4 with WMP and firefox (I know that's stupid--I wouldn't do it, just here to serve as reference). My current build can handle it, but I want new stuff, so I can run more games on high.
Mkay then, go with my suggestion of Q9550 and GTX 260 core 216. I would also suggest more RAM. And then A larger power supply. I realize this gets expensive.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

Teamsreth wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Perhaps its just me, but could you explain this?

Buy an Acer, and it will cost you 5K?
Well, if Macbooks are overpriced for their performance, Acer are overpriced for their underperformance, imo . Poor quality.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
TSI
+247|5951|Toronto

Reddhedd wrote:

TSI wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Mkay then, go with my suggestion of Q9550 and GTX 260 core 216. I would also suggest more RAM. And then A larger power supply. I realize this gets expensive.
Would AMD cost me less? I'd like to future-proof it amap.
I like pie.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat

TSI wrote:

Reddhedd wrote:

TSI wrote:

Would AMD cost me less? I'd like to future-proof it amap.
To future proof it you would want to go with something like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819103471
Cheaper and operates a high GHz, but you do sacrifice OCability with this CPU. Not as easy as say the Q9550 or E8400
EDIT: Saw a nice deal here, pretty decent Motherboard way discounted. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDeal … mbo.209473

Last edited by Reddhedd (2009-07-15 15:04:48)

Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6415|EE Chat
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … -_-NA-_-NA
Here is a great deal for the Aspire
TSI
+247|5951|Toronto

Reddhedd wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115571&nm_mc=AFC-DealNews&cm_mmc=AFC-DealNews-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA
Here is a great deal for the Aspire
Thanks, but I want it to be under 14.5". I hate big laptops.
I like pie.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard