Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

A black defendant. A white victim. For Stafford, race wasn't an issue. But for critics of the death penalty, it can't be ignored.

That's the thinking behind a bill under consideration in the state legislature that could change the way the death penalty is applied in North Carolina. The bill, known as the Racial Justice Act, would allow judges to throw out the death penalty in a specific case if they found a trend indicating racial bias in other cases. The bill is up for a key vote in the N.C. House this week.

Supporters say the bill is needed to address a legacy of racial disparities in how the death penalty is applied, both nationwide and in North Carolina. In their view, no single death-penalty case can be fairly evaluated without considering the historical relationship of race and capital punishment.

"You can't just look at an individual case, because each capital case is a microcosm of the entire criminal-justice system," Mark Rabil, a capital defender in Winston-Salem, said.

As a legal matter, the argument behind the Racial Justice Act is controversial. It was rejected by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1987. And it's rejected by most prosecutors, who insist that cases should be decided only on their own facts, without reference to historical patterns.

The question now before state legislators is, in the narrowest sense, a strict policy question. But it's also fraught with issues of politics, race, and life and death. The question boils down to this: In a state that uses capital punishment, should a statistical pattern of racial disparities be enough to preclude the use of the death penalty against someone accused of first-degree murder?
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009 … week/news/
https://www2.journalnow.com/exposure/full/2009/07/12/510_racial-graphic.jpg
So if this is passed a black guy that robbed and killed a white guy could very well not be executed simply because he is black?

Does this sound utterly insane to anyone else?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6645

This is the whole "it's ok for minorities to be racist against whites" taken to an exponentially larger level.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6396|North Carolina
Wow....  I'm ashamed to see this connected to my state.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6637

Turquoise wrote:

Well at least you guys didn't lock someone up for 10 years for getting a bj.
Turquoise
O Canada

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Well at least you guys didn't lock someone up for 10 years for getting a bj.
Heh... true...  Hello Georgia....
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6502|Gold Coast

mtb0minime wrote:

This is the whole "it's ok for minorities to be racist against whites" taken to an exponentially larger level.
Roger.

This reminds me of something I read somewhere (probably on 4chan, but its a valid point nonetheless), that caucasions are becoming the biggest, well, put it this way. If some white dude called a bunch of black dudes the N word, then he would probably get shot. But if a black dude called a bunch of white dudes some racial remark then it wouldnt be as highly classified as racist.

Although it seems stupid, I have to agree with it.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX
Wait a minute.  All those graphs tell a pretty tale, but I don't think it is exactly what they meant it to.

All right.  In North Carolina, of the convicted murders they have behind bars, 31.2% are white and 61.5% are black.  Right? 

Ok, now on the NC death row, 38% are white and 54% are black.  Did I get that one right too?

Now, from these numbers, A white convicted murderer is more likely to get the death penalty than a black one!

I know, they are looking at the race of the victim.  I wish they had a case-by-case look at who those victims were and what was going on at the time.  A black guy killing another black guy in a shoot out in a bar parking lot is a bit different from a guy (who happened to be black) breaking in and killing a woman (who happened to be white) in her sleep.  Of course, that is an extreme example, and I don't pretend that they are all cut and dried like that.  That is why I think it would be interesting to see them on a case by case basis.

Not much.

Convict 1 (name withheld) race: ___________
Victim 1 (name withheld) race:  ___________
Crime: Murder, 1st degree:
Circumstances: ____________________________

There, that is all it would take, right?  Maybe someone in NC needs a topic for a research paper?
Turquoise
O Canada
You nailed it, imortal.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of Jesse Jackson types down here.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5576

Turquoise wrote:

You nailed it, imortal.  Unfortunately, we have a lot of Jesse Jackson types down here.
Call me callous but I really wish Jesse Jackson was shot instead of MLK.

God damn they were in the same damn place when it happened.

But alas the truly good had to die and Jesse Jackson lived.

-_-
Turquoise
O Canada

Macbeth wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Call me callous but I really wish Jesse Jackson was shot instead of MLK.

God damn they were in the same damn place when it happened.

But alas the truly good had to die and Jesse Jackson lived.

-_-
Only the good die young....
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Yeah, don't I just know it.  And I know how much NC 'guberment' likes to cover for whitey.  I mean, they didn't even do nothin' when those Duke lacrosse guys raped that poor black woman, right?[/sarcasm]

(here is a summation of the incident, in case everyone here has forgotten)
Turquoise
O Canada
Yeah, the Duke Lacrosse thing was pretty ridiculous.  Then again, Durham is a ghetto hellhole.

If we leveled all of Durham except for Duke, then we'd have about 1/3 less welfare recipients and about 1/3 less crime.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

Turquoise wrote:

Yeah, the Duke Lacrosse thing was pretty ridiculous.  Then again, Durham is a ghetto hellhole.

If we leveled all of Durham except for Duke, then we'd have about 1/3 less welfare recipients and about 1/3 less crime.
I know it.  I used to live in Chapel Hill.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6765|Noizyland

It kind of needs to be looked at on a case-by-case basis rather than a statistical blanket with percentages of the prison population. I think what people are also complaining about is that a black man who does a "lesser" crime than a white man gets a harsher penalty. For example, a black man who is convicted of murder gets the death penalty while a white man convicted of rape and murder gets life imprisonment.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard