Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6558|San Diego, CA, USA

ATG wrote:

How about we just get the illegal aliens out of here, enact a part time legislator and reduce the number of state employees by 50%

Problem solved.
Awesome.  Aren't illegals costing California a net $15 billion/year?  One out of every 15 Californians are illegal btw.

Also cap all state employee pensions to $4,000/month (adjusted for inflation), except fire fighters, police, and the guard.

There are some state employees getting up to $22,000/month!!!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Harmor wrote:

ATG wrote:

How about we just get the illegal aliens out of here, enact a part time legislator and reduce the number of state employees by 50%

Problem solved.
Awesome.  Aren't illegals costing California a net $15 billion/year?  One out of every 15 Californians are illegal btw.
And how much would it cost to get rid of them and would it even be possible?

Shitloads and probably not, I'd expect.

Harmor wrote:

Also cap all state employee pensions to $4,000/month (adjusted for inflation), except fire fighters, police, and the guard.
Why the exceptions? That seems a reasonable pension for any one of those professions. Why should they be more valued than say, teachers?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6558|San Diego, CA, USA

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

ATG wrote:

Problem solved.

Even if it cost $14 billion it would be worth it.

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Why the exceptions? That seems a reasonable pension for any one of those professions. Why should they be more valued than say, teachers?
Fire fighters, police, and the guard put their lives on the line.  Just this year, for example, 4 Fire fighters were killed in a wildfire in L.A. county...the guy who started the fire was sentenced to death.

If you've pushed papers for 20 years at the DMV, teaching kids, or putting books away at a library I don't see why we should pay you more than $4,000/month (€2 868) for your pension.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6591|SE London

Harmor wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

It'd cost much more than that. To do it effectively would cost a ridiculous amount of money. Illegal immigration is a problem for successful countries the world over (including the UK, which is a small island and we still can't keep people out). In a country with borders the size of those in the US, there is no solution. Stopping the immigration and deporting them would be prohibitively expensive. But if you were just to focus on not letting them have any of taxpayers money, you could probably slash a lot out of that $15 billion overnight.

Harmor wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Fire fighters, police, and the guard put their lives on the line.  Just this year, for example, 4 Fire fighters were killed in a wildfire in L.A. county...the guy who started the fire was sentenced to death.

If you've pushed papers for 20 years at the DMV, teaching kids, or putting books away at a library I don't see why we should pay you more than $4,000/month (€2 868) for your pension.
My main issue is why any of these professions should be being paid pensions of more than $48000. That's a pretty damn good pension. It's well above the national average salary and it's a pension. Pensions for public servants should not be excessive, but should be enough for them to live in relative comfort throughout their retirement - $48000 is enough to do that on easily.

Also, I'd bet that none (or very, very few) of those who are actually out there putting their lives on the line get the big pensions.

Last edited by Bertster7 (2009-07-12 11:15:24)

imortal
+240|6674|Austin, TX

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Harmor wrote:

It'd cost much more than that. To do it effectively would cost a ridiculous amount of money. Illegal immigration is a problem for successful countries the world over (including the UK, which is a small island and we still can't keep people out). In a country with borders the size of those in the US, there is no solution. Stopping the immigration and deporting them would be prohibitively expensive. But if you were just to focus on not letting them have any of taxpayers money, you could probably slash a lot out of that $15 billion overnight.

Harmor wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

My main issue is why any of these professions should be being paid pensions of more than $48000. That's a pretty damn good pension. It's well above the national average salary and it's a pension. Pensions for public servants should not be excessive, but should be enough for them to live in relative comfort throughout their retirement - $48000 is enough to do that on easily.

Also, I'd bet that none (or very, very few) of those who are actually out there putting their lives on the line get the big pensions.
A lot of the illegal immigration problem (with regards to those taxpayer dollars) are "anchor babies."  The Constitution says that if you are born in the US, then you are a US citizen.  So, we have loads pf pregnant women fighting to sneak into the US before they are due, so they can give birth to their children here in America.  The baby is an American citizen, and the government won't send the parents back because that would mean depriving a baby citizen of his or her parents. 

We all know I am a heartless bastard, so I propose that we still send the alien parents back.  Keep the kids in an orphanage.  Hopefully, that would present a deterent to help keep illegals out.

Illegal immigration is a critical problem in the US.  We need to enforce the laws regarding illegals, and enact new laws to make it unpleasant to live in the US illegally.  However, detractors are correct that we need the labor force, so I think we should also allow, and be more progressive in providing, workers visas.  This makes them legal, and helps us keep track of them from a security standpoint).  Further, if you are in the country legally on a visa, the threat of revoking that visa for illegal activity may prove to be a motivator to keep them from becoming criminals.  Also, worker visas mean that they will now pay income taxes and contribute to our society as well; thus earning their keep.  Of course, that means that if they are 'on the books' now, that employers can't save money by picking a 'visad' worker over a US citizen.  THe economics of it will be really tough, but the rest of our economy is also crazy right now.  Time to break the entire system and rebuild it from scratch.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard