Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

This New Mexico teen was arguing with her mother, so her mother brought her to a police station to get help (it's unclear what kind of argument they could have been having that would warrant police intervention).

The girl ran off and the police chief chased her and ordered her to stop. When she didn't, he tasered her in the head. The giant scar and stitches in the teen's head show the tasering was terribly brutal, and it's difficult to see how this could in any way be justified.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/0 … 28280.html
Video inside link.

So on a scale of 1-10 how hard would it be to just knock over or grab a 14 year old girl? I usually side with the police but hell I could fight an army of 14 year old girls by myself and win.

So what do you think?
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
At least he didn't drop her in a hail of bullets?

She did not comply and nonlethal force was used.

I see no problem.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6590|London, England
People are going to say "She shouldn't have run off, and then she shouldn't have continued to run after he said stop"

But the thing is, it's not like she was running away from anything serious, or that she was any sort of massive threat whilst she was on the run. So it's dumb to use a taser in such a small situation. So yeah, in a scale of 1-10, if you're an able cop than it should probably be about a 3.

Haven't read the link, but it sounds stupid to go to the police over an argument, and then for the police to be unable to capture a 14 year old girl without a taser. And for a taser at all to be used in such a small situation.....

I just want to hear what the die hard pro police people have to say about this, it should be funny.

Here we go

I see no problem.
Do you think everything through in such a simple way, come on now, that's some dumb logic and thought processing right there

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-07-11 10:38:09)

TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada

ATG wrote:

I see no problem.
Getting tasered in the head is pretty damn close...

First thing I thought when reading the title is, The Hangover.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
yeah...  this was pretty excessive.  I have a feeling there's going to be quite a lawsuit from this.
ATG
Banned

Mekstizzle wrote:

People are going to say "She shouldn't have run off, and then she shouldn't have continued to run after he said stop"

But the thing is, it's not like she was running away from anything serious, or that she was any sort of massive threat whilst she was on the run. So it's dumb to use a taser in such a small situation. So yeah, in a scale of 1-10, if you're an able cop than it should probably be about a 3.

Haven't read the link, but it sounds stupid to go to the police over an argument, and then for the police to be unable to capture a 14 year old girl without a taser. And for a taser at all to be used in such a small situation.....

I just want to hear what the die hard pro police people have to say about this, it should be funny.

Here we go

I see no problem.
Do you think everything through in such a simple way, come on now, that's some dumb logic and thought processing right there
Normally I hate cops and uses of force, dig? Because OFTEN it is abused and misused.

But I am of the Rule Of Law crowd, the problem comes when the power is abused.

This is not one of those cases.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6665|NJ
Good for them.. Teach that mother a thing or two and I bet that girls going to be compliant to her mom..

"Honey Clean your room"
NO
"want to take an other trip to the police station?"
OK Fine mom..

P.S. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH POLICE NOW A DAYS..

I was talking to the silent partner of our office the other day he's a Detective Sargent and been on the force for a long time.. He was telling me how some cops will issue out tickets cause they can find the Violations. Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

Also I doubt Mek could take on an army of 14 year olds, sorry but they're feisty.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2009-07-11 10:48:57)

ATG
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Good for them.. Teach that mother a thing or two and I bet that girls going to be compliant to her mom..

"Honey Clean your room"
NO
"want to take an other trip to the police station?"
OK Fine mom..

P.S. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH POLICE NOW A DAYS..

I was talking to the silent partner of our office the other day he's a Detective Sargent and been on the force for a long time.. He was telling me how some cops will issue out tickets cause they can find the Violations. Just because you can doesn't mean you should..

Also I doubt Mek could take on an army of 14 year olds, sorry but they're feisty.
I find that to be a symptom of being a nOob to power. Most cops who have been at it for a few years are not assholes, it's the rookies you have to watch out for. eh hem...the same thing can be said for forum moderators.
cpt.fass1
+329|6665|NJ
Yeah one of my buddies actually just got a job under him. It's a small world, and he was telling me that the kid pretty much locks up people for the hell of it..

I want parents to know about this as much as possible.. Hopefully it will cause a swing the other way, take the parenting away from the police and the teachers and put it back into the hands of parents.

Hopefully these parents will start beating there kids like we got beat while growing up.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

ATG wrote:

I see no problem.
cpt.fass1
+329|6665|NJ
and we all learned something here.. Tasers are way more effective then candy..
imortal
+240|6634|Austin, TX

cpt.fass1 wrote:

and we all learned something here.. Tasers are way more effective then candy..
You can catch more girls with tasers than with flowers?  hmmmm, something to think about.
mikkel
+383|6571

ATG wrote:

I see no problem.
You say that like the only moral divisor with respect to use of force is whether or not it's lethal. If we as a society begin to accept any kind of non-lethal force used to fight any level of insubordination, then we're taking a page out of the playbook of police states and violent dictatorships everywhere. Not cool.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

mikkel wrote:

ATG wrote:

I see no problem.
You say that like the only moral divisor with respect to use of force is whether or not it's lethal. If we as a society begin to accept any kind of non-lethal force used to fight any level of insubordination, then we're taking a page out of the playbook of police states and violent dictatorships everywhere. Not cool.
Agreed.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker
If the police had subdued her by other means I have no doubt they would have been criticized for not just asking nicely.  I couldn't do the job, no matter what you do, someone has a criticism.  She was also hit in the hip by the taser so it seems the officer must have been at the limits of its range.  I doubt he aimed to latch onto her head ...

Lesson: When the police tell you to stop, do so and don't run out into traffic without looking
mikkel
+383|6571

Stingray24 wrote:

If the police had subdued her by other means I have no doubt they would have been criticized for not just asking nicely.  I couldn't do the job, no matter what you do, someone has a criticism.
If that's your argument, why not just shoot her?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

bet she thinks twice about mouthing off to her mom next time eh?

Last edited by usmarine (2009-07-11 13:55:32)

Zefar
+116|6619|Sweden
That scar she got now, looks like a permanent scar there and a huge one. Not gonna get a nice school from that day forward.

Oh and WHY would you tase someone that only had a little argument with her mother? Even if she ran away?

Seriously was there ANY need of that?
What had she done to deserve getting tased by the cops?

If it was a little argument they could have let her run and then just take her again when she gets home. SHE WAS 14 FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6713|Reality

usmarine wrote:

Are you assuming the mother is like mrs cunnigham of happy days fame? Maybe the mother was completely out of it. After all she did bring her daughter to the police to settle an argument.

I have to shake my head in wonder at the people who think this was an appropriate use of the taser. She wasn't a suspect, prisoner, psychotic or criminal. You pretty much have to be one of those at a minimum FFS! It is not a parental enforcement tool. Or do you use it on your own children?
Do you think he tazered her for her safety? She is a sitting duck in the road for cars!

I see a fucking problem.

Actually I see 2 problems: the officer was WAY out of line. And the some of people here are freakin lunatics for thinking it was ok. I despair for the human race when i read some of your responses.

Jesus Joseph and Mary!
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

you have no idea what the full story is..nor do i.  what were they arguing about eh?  who knows.  i know lots of people who took their kids to the police station to scare them a bit when they fucked up.
Zefar
+116|6619|Sweden
Full story or not, when it just says "A little argument" and "Mom took her to the police" and then "tasered in the head when trying to run away".

WHAT did she do to deserve this?

If she had used a weapon, the mother wouldn't most likely take her to the station by herself but rather have the cops coming to her place. In fact that's probably what would have happened if it was something serious. This does not look like it.

That cop had no reason to fire of a taser shot. He should get in shape and run after the girl. She's just 14 and they can't run for THAT long.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

bro, its the huffington post.  need more on the story.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6713|Reality

usmarine wrote:

you have no idea what the full story is..nor do i.  what were they arguing about eh?  who knows.  i know lots of people who took their kids to the police station to scare them a bit when they fucked up.
1.you are absolutely right about the argument. but you stated "bet she thinks twice about mouthing off to her mom next time eh?" which pretty clearly demonstrates your belief that the mother was right and the girl was wrong. I have a 14 year old daughter so I am fully aware of their attitude but I would NEVER condone the use of the tazer on her so she toes the line. I am not a wishy washy parent when it comes to laying down the law either. I say again: The girl was not a suspect, fugitive or psychotic. The reason given for the use of the tazer is pretty fishy imo. I wonder if there are any witnesses?

2. do these people you know agree with tazering their child so they toe the line in the future? Hey maybe we can start a program to have cops tazer kids playing with matches. Or maybe get those dog collars with remote control zapping.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6731

no i doubt they agree with tasing their kid.  but i also doubt the intent was to tase the head. like i said, its the huffington post.  so meh.
mikkel
+383|6571

usmarine wrote:

Probably not. She'll likely have just as much disdain towards her mother, only now her issue extends to law enforcement officers as well. Real productive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard