Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6477
I love how lowing thinks that Islam is a single, monolithic group with an agenda that is the same throughout.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5708
I was waiting for this day to come. To bad I'm already done with public school. Missed multiple test because of Eid.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5606|Vacationland

nickb64 wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Separation of Church and State?
Meant to keep state out of religion.

Not necessarily the other way around.
How are the two things different? If the church is in the state is not the state in the church?
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6414|North Carolina

nickb64 wrote:

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Separation of Church and State?
Meant to keep state out of religion.

Not necessarily the other way around.
John Adams would disagree.

Besides, in practice, it never works one way without the other.

The more a politician brings religion into policy, the more the state gets involved in religion.

For a good example, look at the mess that gay marriage has become.  We now have governments banning churches from having gay marriages.

The rational solution to this is to remove marriage (a religious institution) from government.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
The only issue i could think of here is seperation of church and state. but w/e

re; America wasn't envisiged with Islam...

1. Islam was around quite a bit before the U.S.A
2. Pretty sure one of the reasons America was first settled was to escape religious persecution.

Correct me if im wrong.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

That stupid article wrote:

While assiduously digging into Islamic lunar calendar for the future timing of the Islamic feast days, The Times fails to mention that Eid al-Adha falls on Sunday, September 11 in the year 2016 and Eid al-Fitr will begin at sunset on September 9 and continue to sunset on Friday September 10 in the year 2010.
I'm lmao.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Turquoise
O Canada

FatherTed wrote:

The only issue i could think of here is seperation of church and state. but w/e

re; America wasn't envisiged with Islam...

1. Islam was around quite a bit before the U.S.A
2. Pretty sure one of the reasons America was first settled was to escape religious persecution.

Correct me if im wrong.
The most complicated part of this issue is that government in America is supposed to be secular.  However, when designating holidays, there is obviously a Christian focus much of the time.  As the religious demographics of certain regions change, issues arise concerning how to accommodate individuals of other religions.

I will say though...  regardless of what decision NYC makes, CAIR are a bunch of douchebags equivalent to the douchebaggery of AIPAC.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

lowing wrote:

Swan wrote:

lowing wrote:

Why do expect it to make me convert to Islam and disdain women and homosexuality and freedom?
checkmate
care to elaborate?
Indonesia has the largest Muslim population on Earth and shock horror, has had a female President. Women don't need to wear head scarves.

Homosexuality is not illegal in Indonesia.

And guess what, elections are free and open!
Turquoise
O Canada

AussieReaper wrote:

lowing wrote:

Swan wrote:

checkmate
care to elaborate?
Indonesia has the largest Muslim population on Earth and shock horror, has had a female President. Women don't need to wear head scarves.

Homosexuality is not illegal in Indonesia.

And guess what, elections are free and open!
Indonesia also has had some "interesting" reactions to the release of Playboy Magazine...

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/ … nesia.html
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6162|what

Turquoise wrote:

Indonesia also has had some "interesting" reactions to the release of Playboy Magazine...

Because they saw it as degrading to women among other things, and it is a reverse of the cultural norms in Indonesia.

You may have missed the fact that Playboy knew what they were in for, and decided to print a "toned down" version of Playboy compared to the US counterpart. It was still considered quite racy though.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Because they saw it as degrading to women among other things, and it is a reverse of the cultural norms in Indonesia.

You may have missed the fact that Playboy knew what they were in for, and decided to print a "toned down" version of Playboy compared to the US counterpart. It was still considered quite racy though.
I would think you get a similar response throughout all of south-east asia. Especially if you went to Vietnam.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
VicktorVauhn
+319|6401|Southern California

lowing wrote:

to celebrate Islam and its intolerance and oppression is also 180 out from what the founding fathers had envisioned for our nation.
You guys are just too stupid to realize a valid point! You know DAMN well that our founding fathers would not be behind an idea as stupid as freedom from religious persecution.
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6731|Eastern PA
Title is misleading.

This is not NYC "honoring" Islam, it's simply adding yet another holiday that kids get from school. Eid is also a holiday that changes date periodically, like Ash Wednesday or Good Friday.

I'll have to let my Muslim friends know that they secretly wanted to behead me when they had me over for Eid one year. They tried to kill me with tea, cookies, and lamb! The savages!
13rin
+977|6488
Maybe Air Force One will do a flyover...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
Turquoise
O Canada

Spark wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I would think you get a similar response throughout all of south-east asia. Especially if you went to Vietnam.
Sounds like they're all pretty backwards then.
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Not really, they are just very, very conservative on social issues.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Turquoise
O Canada

Spark wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Yep...  social conservatism is generally the same thing as backwards.  For the most part, a society evolves by becoming more socially liberal.
mikkel
+383|6610

lowing wrote:

mikkel wrote:

This has got to be the most absurd example of people with simple minds and too much time on their hands. The Eid festivities are celebrated all over the world, and they're either official holidays or unofficial days off in many countries, including the Western nations. It's thoroughly sad that someone can sit down with a calendar and a sensationalist agenda and rally the mindless masses against the "liberal sheep" over something as absurd as the date that a religious holiday falls on.

Anyone riled up by this seriously needs to reexamine their priorities.
Fantastic, then there are plenty of places to go to celebrate other than the country/society Islam condemns.
Yep. This is your country, and ain't no damn sand negro gonna' celebrate his festive occasions here.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6819|Nårvei

If you haven't noticed it lowing the Italians are the ones that have caused the most harm to your beloved country so far and it spans over several decades ... yet I don't see you attack that group of people for being responsible for inventing organized crime ...

[chants]Burn all Italians at the stake, all Italians are evil ... Italians originate from Europe, burn all Europeans ...[/chant]
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6690|Disaster Free Zone
What about the Irish?
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6731|Eastern PA

DrunkFace wrote:

What about the Irish?
Too drunk to cause any trouble.

j/k
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6158|'straya
Ok lowing, Islam does not want to "destroy america" blahh blahh. A tiny minority of fundamental extremist Muslim sects want to destroy america. Being the largest religion in the world that would make the percentage of Muslims who want to destroy america about 0.00000001%.

While it may be true that some people use Islam to justify killing people, that does not mean the entire religion wants to kill people. America is not at war with Islam, America is at war with "Terrorists".

Bottom line: Terrorists =/= Islam
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6299|Éire
Same old boring argument lowing... America does not belong exclusively to you, it does not even belong exclusively to Jesus Christ. You live in a country that is built on the notion of the melting pot. Unless you are 100% native American then you yourself are an immigrant blow-in. Islam did not knock down the two towers lowing, in the same way that Jesus Christ did not invade Iraq... extremists with warped interpretations did.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yep...  social conservatism is generally the same thing as backwards.  For the most part, a society evolves by becoming more socially liberal.
Rome was pretty socially liberal. Wouldn't you say western society is more evolved than ancient Roman society?

Or are you using conservative and liberal differently than the common colloquial usage of the terms here in the US?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
+874|6684|Canberra, AUS

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Spark wrote:

Rome was pretty socially liberal. Wouldn't you say western society is more evolved than ancient Roman society?

Or are you using conservative and liberal differently than the common colloquial usage of the terms here in the US?
For their time they were.

Labels are relative and have to be contextualized.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard