.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6446|The Twilight Zone
I wouldn't be surprised if they became terrorists after they were tortured in Gitmo. I'd grow hate towards the torturers too
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6404|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

Do you believe that anyone who is captured and taken to Gitmo must be a terrorist or do you think that it is logically possible for people to end up in Gitmo despite not actually being a terrorist?

The headline makes the assumption that they were in fact terrorists when they were captured despite the clear possibity that they were innocent and only began to get involved in terrorism afterwards. You can only return to terrorism if you were previously a terrorist, which is something that the authors don't know.
First, not just every swinging Richard gets sent to Gitmo. There is a lot more than just "being captured" to determine who goes to Gitmo and who goes to prisons in-country.

Is it possible? Of course. Anything is possible.

Is it probable? No.

You people are acting like these guys were found caring for new-born puppies or something. With no intel to back up who they are or what they do. They were just butterfly-farming, minding their own business, and WHAM! Uncle Sam comes in and takes them from their idyllic lives and starts to torture them in Cuba. That is utterly asinine and naive.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
nickb64
formerly from OC (it's EXACTLY like on tv)[truth]
+77|5604|Greatest Nation on Earth(USA)

.Sup wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they became terrorists after they were tortured in Gitmo. I'd grow hate towards the torturers too
Sort of valid point from IMAO:

FrankJ wrote:

Cheney’s waterboarding terrorists created or saved thousands of Americans.
Source: http://www.imao.us/index.php/2009/06/created-or-saved/

Not saying waterboarding/other "torture" actually created terrorists, but I see how that could be possible.

Waterboarding supposedly led to information that saved potentially thousands of lives. I would waterboard someone if I thought it might lead me to information that could save Americans or anyone from anywhere for that matter.

Last edited by nickb64 (2009-06-09 15:07:04)

PureFodder
+225|6278

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Do you believe that anyone who is captured and taken to Gitmo must be a terrorist or do you think that it is logically possible for people to end up in Gitmo despite not actually being a terrorist?

The headline makes the assumption that they were in fact terrorists when they were captured despite the clear possibity that they were innocent and only began to get involved in terrorism afterwards. You can only return to terrorism if you were previously a terrorist, which is something that the authors don't know.
First, not just every swinging Richard gets sent to Gitmo. There is a lot more than just "being captured" to determine who goes to Gitmo and who goes to prisons in-country.

Is it probable? No.

You people are acting like these guys were found caring for new-born puppies or something. With no intel to back up who they are or what they do. They were just butterfly-farming, minding their own business, and WHAM! Uncle Sam comes in and takes them from their idyllic lives and starts to torture them in Cuba. That is utterly asinine and naive.
So you do in fact agree with me that the headline is wrong.

Also, they were arrested as enemy combatants. You can be an enemy combatant and not be a terrorist and you can be a terrorist and not be an enemy combatant. Being an enemy combatant and directing your actions against only military targets does not make you a terrorist, so even if they were detained as enemy combatants, there's still a burden of proof required to show that they comitted terrorism, which is what the article accuses them of being prior to ending up in Gitmo.
FEOS
+1,182|6404|'Murka

PureFodder wrote:

FEOS wrote:

PureFodder wrote:

Is it probable? No.

So you do in fact agree with me that the headline is wrong.

Also, they were arrested as enemy combatants. You can be an enemy combatant and not be a terrorist and you can be a terrorist and not be an enemy combatant. Being an enemy combatant and directing your actions against only military targets does not make you a terrorist, so even if they were detained as enemy combatants, there's still a burden of proof required to show that they comitted terrorism, which is what the article accuses them of being prior to ending up in Gitmo.
No, I don't agree with you. Those who were remanded to GITMO were/are terrorists. That's what I was saying. They don't get shipped to GITMO right off the bat. If they were AQ-affiliated, then they were, by definition, terrorists. AQ is a terrorist organization. Organizations affiliated with AQ are terrorist organizations. Members of those organizations are terrorists.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6541|San Diego, CA, USA
Someone needs to make a Venn Diagram of that...
PureFodder
+225|6278
Those phrases accepted a premise of the report that all the former prisoners had been engaged in terrorism before their detention. Because that premise remains unproved, the day the article appeared in the newspaper, editors changed the headline and the first paragraph on the Times Web site to refer to prisoners the report said had engaged in terrorism or militant activity since their release.

The article and headline also conflated two categories of former prisoners. In the Pentagon report, 27 former Guantánamo prisoners were described as having been confirmed as engaging in terrorism, with another 47 suspected of doing so without substantiation. The article should have distinguished between the two categories, to say that about one in 20 of former Guantánamo prisoners described in the Pentagon report were now said to be engaging in terrorism. (The larger share — about one in seven —applies to the total number described in the report as confirmed or suspected of engaging in terrorism.)
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/us/po … gitmo.html
They now admit that they made incorrect assumptions about 2/3 of the people previously being terrorists when in fact their guily has not been substantiated.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Then I'm glad I'm wrong and they are free.  I just hope the 2/3rds don't change their mind.  The other 1/3rd though I want to know what we could had done to adjudicate them correctly.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6106|SC | USA |
I hate the fact that everyone here and in the US thinks every fucking sand bitch picked up over there is sent to gitmo. You have to some serious shit to get in there. There are many prisons in the sand over there that deal with the amateurs and teenagers with aks. You wouldn't send a dui'er to a maximum security prison with murderers.

Course now the left wing are all concerned with people's rights. That's fine up to a point. This people don't give a shit who you are. They just want to kill you in the name in their so called "god."

Left wing media ftl.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I'm for swift justice...if you're caught shooting at our soldiers on the battlefield that's to me is attempted murder and an officer should be able to charge the combatant immediately and he be incarcerated or killed based on a military tribunal findings.

Does that mean an officer need to make a report for every detainee, no.  But the Military tribunal will have a report of the fight.

That's my best attempt to come to an amiable middle ground.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6759|UK
Shouldn't this read gitmo creates 74 die hard terrorists.

If I was jailed with no trial for 7+ years I would sure as hell fuck up whoever did it to me.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Released Gitmo prisoner now leads Taliban forces against U.S. troops

New York Post wrote:

As Marine Corps forces roll into southern Afghanistan, they face a familiar enemy - Mullah Zakir, a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner who now leads a reconstituted Taliban ...
Whoopsie.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6639

Harmor wrote:

Released Gitmo prisoner now leads Taliban forces against U.S. troops

New York Post wrote:

As Marine Corps forces roll into southern Afghanistan, they face a familiar enemy - Mullah Zakir, a former Guantanamo Bay prisoner who now leads a reconstituted Taliban ...
Whoopsie.
Yeah but he wasn't a terrorist before we detained him. He was a random guy off the street and we turned him into one.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6216|Escea

Now I'd see that with a bit more credibility if he was just one of their ranks, not a leader. I'm doubting you get into a position of a leader that easily from having no experience fighting coalition troops.

"Abdul Qayum Zakir, also known as Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, is from Helmand Province and has taken a circuitous route to become head of the radical Islamic group.

Zakir was a senior fighter during the Taliban regime in the 1990s."

He was already part of them before he was captured and detained.
FEOS
+1,182|6404|'Murka

M.O.A.B wrote:

Now I'd see that with a bit more credibility if he was just one of their ranks, not a leader. I'm doubting you get into a position of a leader that easily from having no experience fighting coalition troops.

"Abdul Qayum Zakir, also known as Abdullah Ghulam Rasoul, is from Helmand Province and has taken a circuitous route to become head of the radical Islamic group.

Zakir was a senior fighter during the Taliban regime in the 1990s."

He was already part of them before he was captured and detained.
I think Ajax was being sarcastic, referring to all the whining about how everyone in Gitmo was some innocent sheep farmer swept up off the street indiscriminately by the bad ol' US then tortured into being a cold-blooded terrorist.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard