lilmike815
+2|6787|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.
Hello ALL,

When i play battlefield 2, espically BF:SF, I get soem choppy ness some times when alot of stuff is on screen. I have been playing battlefield 2 for a while and this didnt happen before all the patched for SF started to come out...I have been planning 2 upgrade me system or either just trash this one and get a mid level rig (around 1.500 dollars). I have a:

sony vaio
asus p4sd-vl mobo
2.8Ghz P4 HT
512Mb (2x256) PC2700 Dual channel
AGP 8x Geforce FX 5600XT

I know my rig isnt much but I wont have the cash to make another rig for a while. Is there any way I could give a boost in performace to my rig?

I was thinking Ram might be the problem but I keep hearing how important teh Vid Card is to this game even with eveery thing at low quality.

Another point is that my case sux. i cant fit a larger type of power supply in my case. It has some small for antec that has only 266 watts of power. I know im probley under pwoering my system now but I have no choise untill I can get a new one. I know some one that has a smilir rig as me and had 2 destroy it to take out all of the componets. Any one knwo of any small pwoer supplies I coudl use, and whould a geforce 6800 and  ram upgrade of a 512MB be adaquate to run BF2? or should i just hold out for a new rig?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6634|Deep In The South Of Texas
Getting a new video card is pretty much out, doubt your power supply could handle it. Upgrading to 2GB might smooth out the choppiness, but you might want to just save up for a new rig.
Tunacommy
+56|6612|Massachusetts, USA
I have almost the same system 2.4gHz Pentium 4, 1 gig ram, 6800Gt card AGP, and I have the same problems you are having.  I could not even RUN the game until I upgraded the ram from 512 to 1gig.....I am also in the same boat looking for a new system.  I can run small games, under 40 people fairly consistently....but when a lot of @$%#^& starts happening my system bogs down and I get wacked pretty easily.

You could try a little more ram....but I would just dump into a new system.

Check out ABS (www.abs.com) or Velocity.  If you don't want to "build" it yourself, ABS seems to have some great deals....I put together something like this for about $1900

AMD 64 X2 4400+ chipset
SLI mother board
NVIDA 7900GTX card
2gig RAM
WD 76Gig Raptor hard drive 10,000 RPM
WD 200 gig 7200 rpm storage
NEC DVD

you can play with the card and the processor - but I would go with at least 2gig ram expandable up to 4 gig.  At least that is what most people here will tell you.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

The Stillhouse Kid wrote:

Getting a new video card is pretty much out, doubt your power supply could handle it. Upgrading to 2GB might smooth out the choppiness, but you might want to just save up for a new rig.
No he cant upgrade the ram since it will only run at pc2700 and his mobo might not support ddr400
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia
and his processor is only 133mhz FSB
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I suggest that anyone in this situation just pick themselves up another computer. Build it, or have it built. Or if money isn't a problem, just get a Dell XPS (I can't believe I typed that) and hope that they occasionally offer one of their free part upgrades every now and then. Or better: Falcon NW has a good reputation. Alienware users are called noobs behind their backs at lan parties.

Optimum date for new PC:

I recommend around winter this year, if you can hold out. That's when the next-gen set of games will be released, along with hardware and software that support their most advanced features. Others will recommend that you just ignore all that upgrade now, but patience is virtue. Just be careful, because alot of dishonest techs will be trying to push old hardware out the door, overpriced.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-04 01:29:48)

lilmike815
THANK YOU EVERY ONE. my mobo can take PC 3200 and i have 4 empty slot.. FSB is 400mhz........I was gonna try and save up until winter and get all teh stuff that good now..... I really wanna amd fx 60 with something crossfired or slied, but over 1500 for for just the processor and video cards is a bit much for a processor is a little much. I have no idea though Ill just save up till winter and hope for the best.......Thankls again every one
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

First and foremost, you need more RAM.  You could get a dual channel kit of 1GB, and add that for 1.5GB, which would give a fairly nice boost.  I can't recommend running this game on anything less than 1GB.  Here is a 1GB kit for less than $70.  Yes it's value RAM, but where you aren't overclocking it will be fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820141437

However, make no mistake about it, that video card isn't helping any.  Something like the 6600GT would be a substantial boost over that 5600 series card, and wouldn't draw so much power as to hinder your PSU.  The 128MB AGP version can be had for $132.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6814150089

Both of these together would be ~$210 w/shipping.
vjs
+19|6763
There have been plenty of thread on this exact topic for people in your situation.
Here are a few suggestions take them of leave them.

First at this point you can buy stuff that will both work in this computer and your next computer such as ram, harddrive, sound card.

1. The only way to go is 2 x 1G sticks period, search the whole 1G vs 2G. IT's pretty much a given that 2G is what you should get. Get some very nice stuff such as OCZ or Geil with very low timings.

Basically buy the ram you'd use for that dual core FX later. Take the current sticks and keep them in your desk for later.

2. ALot of people are saying that the x-fi or audigy cards both increase your ingame performance (frame rate reduced CPU overhead etc) and give you better sound at the same time.

You could also transfer this card to your new computer.

3. If you have a Sata onboard, the Raptor 150G drives are very very very impressive.

Well worth the money and probably better than 2 raptor 72G's in a raid-0, look at the specs.

------------------------------

Your major problem besides the ram is the videocard (which might require a new powersupply)... and the fact that you have AGP. If you buy a new card for your system you won't be able to use it in your new PCIE system.

You could always buy a used 256Mb 9800, x800pro, 6600 etc but I wouldn't spend that much on a card and certainly wouldn't buy one new.
lilmike815
There is SATA, I could but some of the componets i would use in a new system and use them in the one I am curently using now and just buy the mobo and the processor so i could just just swap out old parts......, but more than likely I will just wait till around christmas time and buy some stuff that has just droped in price and hope that I could afford a DX10 compatble card. I might just buy some ram value ram and a cheap audio cars just to increase my performance with about me haveing to over haul my system and drown all the money i can into an asus a8n sli with some SLI config with an amd fx something and raptor hard drives.
iceman785
+93|6665|Alaska, mother fucker.
heres your first problem, you dont have a good enough video card to run it, check the requirements on the game b4 you buy it next time
Rumfuddle
+14|6710
The poster who says your power supply won't handle a better vid card doesn't know what he is talking about.  I run a beater HP box amd 64 with a 250 watt supply.  I've had an ATI 9800pro and currently run an nvidia 6800 in it w/o any power supply problems.  The 9800pro ran hot and required an extra fan.  Otherwise no probs.  You're obviously not going to buy a 6800gs or 7800 series for your box, so you've got enough power. 

Here's what you need:

1. A stick of 512 pc2700 ram.  $35.
2. A new vid card - suggest a plain agp nvidia 6600 for around $100 if things are truly tight.  If you've got a bit of extra cash, splurge for the 6600gt or an ATI x1600, around $130-140 (I'd go for the ATI myself on that budget - won't run as hot and a bit faster).

Look at newegg.com.

You won't regret it.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Rumfuddle wrote:

The poster who says your power supply won't handle a better vid card doesn't know what he is talking about.  I run a beater HP box amd 64 with a 250 watt supply.  I've had an ATI 9800pro and currently run an nvidia 6800 in it w/o any power supply problems.  The 9800pro ran hot and required an extra fan.  Otherwise no probs.  You're obviously not going to buy a 6800gs or 7800 series for your box, so you've got enough power. 

Here's what you need:

1. A stick of 512 pc2700 ram.  $35.
2. A new vid card - suggest a plain agp nvidia 6600 for around $100 if things are truly tight.  If you've got a bit of extra cash, splurge for the 6600gt or an ATI x1600, around $130-140 (I'd go for the ATI myself on that budget - won't run as hot and a bit faster).

Look at newegg.com.

You won't regret it.
That's a dual channel P4.  He'd still need two sticks.
-_{MoW}_-Assasin
+13|6720|Australia

Rumfuddle wrote:

lol, i reakon you should upgrade that PSU anyway, just in case lol. But that seems to be a strong performer. and actually, a 7800 uses less power than a 6800, just as a side note
slo5oh
+28|6653

-_{MoW}_-Assasin wrote:

lol, i reakon you should upgrade that PSU anyway, just in case lol. But that seems to be a strong performer. and actually, a 7800 uses less power than a 6800, just as a side note
I'm not arguing the power supply, because I don't have the details of this system, but the 7800 requires 2 molex POWER plugs for a reason... and it ain't 'cus it looks cool.

lilmike815,
Way I see it you've got 2 options.  Either way there's a sweet website called fatwallet.  check their "hot deals" forums often and you can easily get a dual channel kit of ram for very cheap (2 gig pc3200 for $139) and if you cross your fingers one of the big electronics stores will repeat a PHAT deal on a good video card (6600gt for $40, or 6800 for $61).  I got one of the 6800 about a month back.  Still waiting on a $100 MIR, but it's coming.
Your second option is to buy or build your own new machine.  I'm a network admin for a living, and a jerk of all trades for fun.  After my first 486 I have built my own.
My new rig was not cheap, (video card was a big hit) but it will smoke most snell, getaway, HPee, or other big retailer's machine for twice the $ I spent.
My opteron 146 (that only cost $16) is currently running at 2.9GHz.  I've only run 1 test so far (sandra? or something) and my CPU is outperforming an FX 55 according to it.
But if you want the easy way out, get a new dell with a 24" LCD   There's deals that pop up for those on fatwallet too.  I just don't like that dell pushes the ATI instead of Nvidia.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard