G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
+24|6161|Contae Chorcaí | Éire
Im getting really ticked off with my internet at the moment!! It is completely perfect outside of gameplay but as soon as I turn on BF2, i cannot join a single server! Of the hundreds of servers on the list, i click join on any and it  loads the map, as soon as its 100% loaded, it returns to the main menu and said "You have lost connection to the server". Iv done all the standard stuff, update punkbuster, clear cache etc.. Here is where i know my problem is, I have a Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps router which accommodates my PC, a PS3, an XBox360, a Wii and a PSP. It (of course) cant keep up so I'm wondering if i should get this and would buying it eliminate all this crap?
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5838|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I wouldn't buy a new router, it won't do anything, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G that's about 5 years old and it's more than enough for everything, just make sure all those devices connected to your router aren't using internet while you're trying to connect to server.
Make sure when you single click on the server you want to connect to that it shows good ping (as it changes, you prob already know lol)
If you have updated PB and got the latest patch for BF2 (1.41 or above) then it should work, do other games work?
Don't buy a new router though, routers hardly ever go wrong and you will just be paying for nothing apart from a better looking router

Just realised your on wireless (I guess) lol web pages are fine on wireless and downloading stuff can be, but always use wired connection when playing games (or to do anything if it's possible to run a wire to your PC) wireless is 99% the cause of network problems if your running wireless, by using wired you can just relax and know nothing's going to cut off/go wrong and you know you're getting max speed out of your connection as well

Edit- if you HAVE to have wireless, then a new router could give you a better wireless connection due to newer hardware, I'd test signal strength first to see if it's that.
If you are thinking about a new router, try downloading some custom firmware for your linksys router before you get rid of it, Tomato is the best one I've used out of them all, if you don't know how to install it, just downlaod the firmware, then go into your router and find "upgrade firmware" and browse for the file you downloaded then restart router after it's applied.
When it's on you can adjust the power of the wireless signal and lots of other extra stuff that you can play about with that might make your connection better.
But like I said go wired if you can (if you're not already), I used to be on wireless years ago and hated it so ran a 30M cable into my room from downstairs and working perfect all the time

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2009-07-04 12:26:49)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
ok thanks, im just thinking about getting new router because i have a feeling that my current one might be fried!! only 2,3 months ago the internet was brilliant online and playing games. Im just very annoyed that its gone very bad for no apparent reason. Im not sure about this firmware your on about but i'll give it a shot before considering a new router.
H3RB4L ABU53
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Use the first download (for most routers) download it, then go into your router (192.168.1.1) and go to upgrade firmware and upload the file you downloaded.

A lot of people say do a hard reset etc when doing the firmware but don't worry about it just install it straight on, then you can play with boosting the wireless signal etc.

Like I said if you have to have wireless, and the firmware don't help then you might as well get a new router at least that way you know it's not the routers problem, I doubt yours is fried though it should either work or not work, but at least with a new one you know it's going to last
Wallpaper
+303|5964|The pool
Reinstalled BF2? Were the consoles running when you tried it? Have you changed the router's passkey just in case someone is stealing your signal? Are you running torrents?

If yes, turn off torrents and consoles and try again. If it still doesnt work, reinstall bf2. Then try to change your passkey.

EDIT: I have the Rangebooster version of that router, and used to play BF2 on it all the time without trouble. As Herbal said, if at all possible go for a wired Ethernet connection; the wires are cheap and can be hidden fairly easily anyway. Youre trying Irish servers too, right?

Last edited by Wallpaper (2009-07-05 12:53:29)

woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6700|sunderland england
i had this problem with wireless
try logging into router settings and change the channel
a lot of people in your street with the same channel can cause interference worked for me
good luck

Last edited by woodrot (2009-07-05 13:00:49)

H3RB4L ABU53
Changing channel is a good idea to see if your signal gets any better, it definately sounds like something to do with your wireless connection if it always says "lost connection" unless you are doing heavy downloading to the point that you have like 1% bandwidth for other stuff
I would try changing channel and make sure no one else is stealing your wireless, like posts above said
If not, reset router back to factory settings, try it then without changing any settings
Then try the tomato firmware (doubt it will work) worth a try anyway if your gona get rid of router
Check windows wireless settings (if you're using windows settings) if you're using software that came with wireless adapter then try using windows to set it up as it's faultless and you dont get annoying startup bits

Also are you using a password on your wireless? Like a WEP key or anything? When I had wireless I set a WEP key and my connection was like dial up speed so I took the WEP key off (no password) and it worked full speed I dont know why, if your using a password try turning it off and using wireless mac filter instead if you know what it is, or try no security at all to test, it might work lol other than that I dont know- try new router or even better get a long cable and disable wireless completely I can almost guarantee you'll have no problems

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2009-07-05 13:29:31)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
Thanks for the help, I looked around at the wireless setup and plugged out one wire which was running straight into my old computer and it has seemed to stop the frequent lag spikes, will let you know if it comes back as I've only tested one game of BF2.
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
Ok, so turned on my computer today and its back to what it was except the lag spikes happen every 30-40secs instead of 10-20 so im thinking of buying the new router then contact my ISP and have someone come out and set it up + check the full connection etc.!
woodrot
I Need A Dump
+25|6700|sunderland england
isp speed cap ??
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn

woodrot wrote:

isp speed cap ??
what you mean? /I was fiddling around with my internet and im not sure what i did but it wont work on one computer!! I look at my network map and it shows the link between my PC and the linksys router are fine, but between the router and Internet is not working, so i did Diagnose and it said "Error, Cannot communicate with primary DNS Server (ip.X.XXX.XXX.XX) Does anyone know what i did or how to fix this? It must be related to just that PC as this PC's Internet is working!
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6567|Seattle

Try releasing the IP from the router and renewing it. You'll have to log into the router to do that. Sometimes just turning it off and back on again will refresh the IP's too so maybe try that first.

Also, check that the IP range has enough available local IP's. (ie: 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.100) 50 leases or whatever you want.

Then make sure the PC that is NOT working is set to detect settings automatically.

One other thing it could be.... some ISP's only allow one MAC address at a time through the internet. Your router should have a MAC address clone. Enable that while only the WORKING PC is connected. Then reconnect the PC that doesn't work and reboot.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
H3RB4L ABU53
Go into control panel- network connections, right click on the connection you have and click properties, scroll down to TCP/IP and click properties on that then at the DNS bit at the bottom click manual and enter 208.67.222.222 fir the first 1 and 208.67.220.220 for the second they are different free DNS servers that are worth using as they never fail unlike ISP's
Oisín<3
>rush.Irishpride
+139|5397|Dublin, Ireland

G.Cronin wrote:

Im getting really ticked off with my internet at the moment!! It is completely perfect outside of gameplay but as soon as I turn on BF2, i cannot join a single server! Of the hundreds of servers on the list, i click join on any and it  loads the map, as soon as its 100% loaded, it returns to the main menu and said "You have lost connection to the server". Iv done all the standard stuff, update punkbuster, clear cache etc.. Here is where i know my problem is, I have a Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps router which accommodates my PC, a PS3, an XBox360, a Wii and a PSP. It (of course) cant keep up so I'm wondering if i should get this and would buying it eliminate all this crap?
It's Eircom internet, I was having epic problems too.

Contact me on xfire for the quick-fix.

E:

H3RB4L ABU53 wrote:

Go into control panel- network connections, right click on the connection you have and click properties, scroll down to TCP/IP and click properties on that then at the DNS bit at the bottom click manual and enter 208.67.222.222 fir the first 1 and 208.67.220.220 for the second they are different free DNS servers that are worth using as they never fail unlike ISP's
https://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/Irishpride2/dandy.jpg

Last edited by Oisín<3 (2009-07-07 09:47:58)

G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
Thanks, working again but it still spikes ingame every 30secs and my ping goes from 20 up to 700 or 800

Edit: tried logging into my router and i cant im sure the user and pass are the ones my ISP gave me

Last edited by G.Cronin (2009-07-07 11:05:02)

steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6352|the land of bourbon
have you tried resetting your router yet?  if you can't log in, maybe someone messed up your shit.  it's worth the reset, and make sure you use a password different than the default.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
G.Cronin
ĆѳŗėFцśюn
ya, i usually reset my router once a week anyway and every possible user and password i can think of does'nt work

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard