Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

A panel of New York National Guard officers has recommended that an Iraq war veteran who acknowledged his homosexuality must leave the service, his supporters said Tuesday.

First Lt. Dan Choi disclosed in March that he is gay, challenging the 1994 "don't ask, don't tell" law that requires the military to discharge troops who disclose their sexual orientation. Tuesday's ruling, made after a daylong hearing, is a step toward stripping Choi of his officer's commission and ending his career.

"It's disappointing, but not unexpected," said Sue Fulton, a spokeswoman for Knights Out, a group of gay and lesbian West Point alumni Choi helped found.

Fulton said the Guard's Federal Recognition Board heard from members of Choi's unit, his commanding officer and fellow soldiers who served in Iraq, and reviewed more than 150 letters of support for Choi, a 2003 West Point graduate and an Arab linguist.

"At the end of the day, they did not consider any of that material [to] whether he was a good soldier," she said. "It was solely about whether he said he was gay."
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/30/us.mil … index.html
That is a relief, I sure as hell don't want gay protecting me.

On a side note; how did this man hide his erection when showering with the other soldiers?
Tehremos
Parcel of ol' Crams
+128|6408|Somersetshire
am i getting this right then, if i say I'm straight while in the US military, I would be forced to leave?
S3v3N
lolwut?
+685|6518|Montucky
lol @ the add.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

We must send a message! Our great country will not be protected by a bunch of fairies in tutus!

Non-sarcasm: What's wrong with "Don't ask, don't tell"? I'm all for equality and whatnot, but it's completely unnecessary to flaunt one's sexuality. It's possible to be proud but humble.
WienerBreath
Hai guys
+14|5502|Fort Hood, Texas
Just because he's gay doesn't mean that he's a bad officer. That's really ignorant.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6405|North Carolina

WienerBreath wrote:

Just because he's gay doesn't mean that he's a bad officer. That's really ignorant.
No kidding, but the fact that we don't allow gays in the military to begin with is exceptionally ignorant.
Choclot
+21|6542
..and breaches several laws..
Longbow
+163|6646|Odessa, Ukraine
Gays, lesbians, women in military...thats a farсe, if you ask me. I still think that military should consist of straight men only. It's military after all. Women can serve too though, but as aircraft/helo pilots, navy officers, etc - i.e. not frontline units, like infantry, armor, artillery.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6810|NÃ¥rvei

Longbow wrote:

Gays, lesbians, women in military...thats a farсe, if you ask me. I still think that military should consist of straight men only. It's military after all. Women can serve too though, but as aircraft/helo pilots, navy officers, etc - i.e. not frontline units, like infantry, armor, artillery.
Because?
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6463|Tyne & Wear, England

Varegg wrote:

Longbow wrote:

Because?
Because they will dry bumfuck you whilst you're in the prone position firing at the enemy.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Longbow
+163|6646|Odessa, Ukraine

Varegg wrote:

Because?
Because a) it's military, and those requirements for recruits are thousands years old and haven't changed before XX sentury for a reason. And don't compare military to civil jobs, way too different stuff. b) I'm aware of having gays in my unit, srsly. Would you personally want to have someone watching/seeing you "that way" in your unit? Shower, exersizes, etc. Nah, gays at job - fine, whatever. Gays at military - no go.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England

Longbow wrote:

Varegg wrote:

Because?
Because a) it's military, and those requirements for recruits are thousands years old and haven't changed before XX sentury for a reason. And don't compare military to civil jobs, way too different stuff. b) I'm aware of having gays in my unit, srsly. Would you personally want to have someone watching/seeing you "that way" in your unit? Shower, exersizes, etc. Nah, gays at job - fine, whatever. Gays at military - no go.
You're assuming that because someone is gay, that they'll automatically be attracted to every single man and want to instantly rape them.

I'm no fan of gays, but no point in discriminating against them like that
JahManRed
wank
+646|6628|IRELAND

So its ok for this guy to go out and put his life on the line to protect your "liberty & freedom" in a far flung land so you can facelessly judge him from the safety on your mums basement on a random Internet forum. I seriously doubt flowers came outa the barrel of his gun when he fired it.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6621|London, England
Yeah I think it's a joke. The USA always prides itself on how it treats its veterans and this and that and how they all respect their soldiers and how they're all freedom fighters and liberty and all that crap. Yet they have no qualms about treating a guy like this who's put gone out there and done his bit, not to mention the fact that the guy was a fucking Officer

Typical American hypocrisy rears its ugly head once again!

They chat shit about all the typical American stuff but only when it fits their close tight ideologies
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6463|Tyne & Wear, England
They throw handbags and quiche at the enemy.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646
It's his own fault. He knew how they felt about gays before he joined and he still risked it. Actually, he didn't risk it. He just let his own pride get in the way.
Lai
+186|6151

Longbow wrote:

Why no women on the front lines? Chivalry?
mikkel
+383|6601

mtb0minime wrote:

We must send a message! Our great country will not be protected by a bunch of fairies in tutus!

Non-sarcasm: What's wrong with "Don't ask, don't tell"? I'm all for equality and whatnot, but it's completely unnecessary to flaunt one's sexuality. It's possible to be proud but humble.
That'd be fine if heterosexuality wasn't flaunted either, but that's about as far from the case as possible.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6646

Lai wrote:

Longbow wrote:

Why no women on the front lines? Chivalry?
Ladies first. Men always feel obligated to help out womena and children more than other men.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

mikkel wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

That'd be fine if heterosexuality wasn't flaunted either, but that's about as far from the case as possible.
Is it really? I don't go around telling everyone I'm straight, and wearing articles of clothing or have bumper stickers telling everyone I'm straight
mikkel
+383|6601

mtb0minime wrote:

mikkel wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

Is it really? I don't go around telling everyone I'm straight, and wearing articles of clothing or have bumper stickers telling everyone I'm straight
Yes, it really is. If you go through a tour of duty in most militaries without seeing a poster of a naked woman or hearing explicit details of heterosexual sex, you're likely both blind and deaf.

Not to mention that while mentioning that you have a girlfriend or wife is A-ok, mentioning that you have a boyfriend or husband would be "flaunting your sexuality".

Last edited by mikkel (2009-07-02 11:10:55)

spasticus5
A TEN! A TEN!
+9|6198|San Clemente(best city ever)
Whether or not the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy is right or not it is the current policy of the US Military. As an officer he should know that and know exactly what happens when he openly declares that he is homosexual on national television. He deserves the discharge.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6354|West NY

spasticus5 wrote:

Whether or not the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy is right or not it is the current policy of the US Military. As an officer he should know that and know exactly what happens when he openly declares that he is homosexual on national television. He deserves the discharge.
True. But it shouldn't even be in effect because of

mikkel wrote:

Yes, it really is. If you go through a tour of duty in most militaries without seeing a poster of a naked woman or hearing explicit details of heterosexual sex, you're likely both blind and deaf.

Not to mention that while mentioning that you have a girlfriend or wife is A-ok, mentioning that you have a boyfriend or husband would be "flaunting your sexuality".
Or it should be stressed on all cases including these
ghettoperson
+1,943|6649

Macbeth wrote:

On a side note; how did this man hide his erection when showering with the other soldiers?
Is that a serious question? Do you always get a raging hard-on when around naked women?
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6354|West NY

ghettoperson wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Is that a serious question?
It really was a stupid generalization, but to be serious....
to think about it in the alternative perspective - A bunch of steamy naked women all with at least decent physique.

ghettoperson wrote:

Do you always get a raging hard-on when around naked women?
In this case, probably.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard