some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

I've got a combination whetstone at home, but can't figure out which side is the rougher one (to start off with).  There's a dark side and a light side, and though the darker feels slightly, very slightly rougher, that might just be grit on top.  Anyone know?

I mean this
https://www.survival-expert.com/info/fixed.gif
See the darker side underneath?

I might just take it to someone who knows how to do it properly.

Last edited by some_random_panda (2009-07-01 17:06:14)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6590|London, England
I don't know what you're talking about, but generally speaking the darker side is more coarse than the light side.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6749|Great Brown North
uh... the light side on most of mine are the smoother side

have you never sharpened a knife before?
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6292|Orrstrayleea
Im a butcher

Lighter side will be finer, put an edge on it with the coarse side, then smooth it with the fine side.
some_random_panda
Flamesuit essential
+454|6360

krazed wrote:

uh... the light side on most of mine are the smoother side

have you never sharpened a knife before?
No, I haven't, but it's a cheap (less than 20 AUD) knife, so might as well learn.

~FuzZz~ wrote:

Im a butcher

Lighter side will be finer, put an edge on it with the coarse side, then smooth it with the fine side.
Ah.  That I didn't know about you.   Thanks.
jim beam
Disabled
+1|1609
A person went onto this site, asking for a reasonable answer to a reasonable question. I found the site because I was asking the same question. The amount of stupid, pointless, pathetic attempts at smart alecky answers made it almost impossible to find where a decent person with an intelligent though, actually posted a helpful answer. You all really need to get a job.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Not to sound overly hostile, but did you look at the #*&ing timestamp? This happened over ten years ago. None of these users are active. You seriously signed up just to whine about stuff on other sites? Get outta here.

last posts:

panda - 8 years ago
mek - 1.5 years ago
krazed - 5 years ago
fuzz - 9 years ago

Holy crap.
uziq
+492|3422
it's definitely a drunken burnz.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

seems legit