CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6510|USA
i'll bet cops are all for these reflective windows......
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

By the same token, while a black car will heat up faster than a white car, it will also release its heat faster than a white car once the energy source is removed.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

By the same token, while a black car will heat up faster than a white car, it will also release its heat faster than a white car once the energy source is removed.
Why is that?

I can't see how it can be directly related to the reason they heat up faster. That's all about reflecting light. Surely if there is no light to reflect both behave the same, don't they?
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Why is that?

I can't see how it can be directly related to the reason they heat up faster. That's all about reflecting light. Surely if there is no light to reflect both behave the same, don't they?
No.  Technically black and white are not colors.  Black is the absence of color and white is the reflection of all color.  Black is created because it is absorbing all of the light waves, thus absorbing more energy.  White by contrast is reflecting that energy.  When the heat source is removed, black is better able to release that energy than white.

The same factors which cause black objects to absorb radiation better than white ones work in the other direction: they cause black objects to radiate away heat better, too.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/20 … .Ph.r.html

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2009-06-29 09:54:59)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Why is that?

No.  Technically black and white are not colors.  Black is the absence of color and white is the reflection of all color.  Black is created because it is absorbing all of the light waves, thus absorbing more energy.  White by contrast is reflecting that energy.  When the heat source is removed, black is better able to release that energy than white.

The same factors which cause black objects to absorb radiation better than white ones work in the other direction: they cause black objects to radiate away heat better, too.
Yup, all makes perfect sense. I just had no idea that the emissivity of a substance was inversely proportional to its albedo.

+1 for you.

Wonder why they don't teach that in engineering materials courses, never even touched on colour.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Bertster7 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Why is that?

Yup, all makes perfect sense. I just had no idea that the emissivity of a substance was inversely proportional to its albedo.

+1 for you.

Wonder why they don't teach that in engineering materials courses, never even touched on colour.
Don't know.  I learned this way back in junior high science class.  We were far too young to get into the engineering level explanation, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge taught in most rudimentary science classes.  Obviously the material composition will have an effect on the outcome, but given the same material, one white, and one black, the outcome should pretty follow this theory.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5928
Who needs AC? What the heck are windows that go up and down for?

Whenever I'm in California and we get in the car we get 3rd degree burns just because of the temperature of the seat. Drive 30 seconds with the window down and we're all good.

This is some more liberal-global warming-make-more-money-with-ineffective-rules-and-material crap.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6698
That is absolutely retarded, just like most of California's new regulations.  This will make it more difficult for the police to see inside of cars, not to mention all of the accidents that will be caused from drivers being blinded by light reflected off of the windows of cars.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5589|Vacationland

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

That is absolutely retarded, just like most of California's new regulations.  This will make it more difficult for the police to see inside of cars, not to mention all of the accidents that will be caused from drivers being blinded by light reflected off of the windows of cars.
Thing is there are no police around here, people just roll through stop signs, run red lights, make illegal u-turns, and much more everyday in broad daylight.  So no need to worry about cops seeing into cars their aren't any to do it.
The#1Spot
+105|6532|byah
Now you cant see drivers in their car and every move you make on the road is a life or death situation. I mean it already is but with the mirrors will make it worse. Insurance will increase and they will deny any of this.

Another excuse to buy a motorcycle. Poor emissions, great mpg and power. Just what green people hate.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

The#1Spot wrote:

Now you cant see drivers in their car and every move you make on the road is a life or death situation. I mean it already is but with the mirrors will make it worse. Insurance will increase and they will deny any of this.
Didn't think of that.
Sucks if you are kidnapped kid in Cali.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6574|SE London

The#1Spot wrote:

Another excuse to buy a motorcycle. Poor emissions, great mpg and power. Just what green people hate.
I thought the green crowd approved of motorbikes. Since they have low emissions due to the great mileage you get.

If you think green people will hate it, think again.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

The#1Spot wrote:

Most people are going to hate this rule, but Oakland will love it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard