Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

People on the government’s terrorist watch list tried to buy guns nearly 1,000 times in the last five years, and federal authorities cleared the purchases 9 times out of 10 because they had no legal way to stop them, according to a new government report.

In one case, a person on the list was able to buy more than 50 pounds of explosives.

The new statistics, compiled in a report from the Government Accountability Office that is scheduled for public release next week, draw attention to an odd divergence in federal law: people placed on the government’s terrorist watch list can be stopped from getting on a plane or getting a visa, but they cannot be stopped from buying a gun.

Gun purchases must be approved unless federal officials can find some other disqualification of the would-be buyer, like being a felon, an illegal immigrant or a drug addict.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/20/us/po … mp;emc=rss
Is there anyway to check if your on this watch list?

Last edited by Macbeth (2009-06-21 12:00:07)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina
Good question...  I don't know.

As a side note, explosives are considerably harder to get than guns, unless you're talking about crude explosive substances (like fertilizer).
Reciprocity
+721|6589|the dank(super) side of Oregon
it's a good thing guns are an inefficient means of killing people.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

i hate this fucking country
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6537|Global Command

Turquoise wrote:

As a side note, explosives are considerably harder to get than guns, unless you're talking about crude explosive substances (like fertilizer).
lol, inert when shipped, no license required.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

ATG wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6724
Obama is on it...
"The G.A.O. reported that the Justice Department in the Obama administration, however, was “noncommital” about whether it would develop guidelines if Congress moved to give the attorney general discretion to block such gun sales. "
Love is the answer
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win!
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

ATG wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

brb blowing shit up.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5603
lol marine
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5594

usmarine wrote:

Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win!
It was a bad time for everyone, Marine. It's all in the past now.
ColCarnage
taw
+283|5603
https://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7387/rambowideweb470x3450.jpg
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

i wasnt being funny though.  the line fits.  this country is a fucking joke.
Reciprocity
+721|6589|the dank(super) side of Oregon

ATG wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

now that's just downright good, clean christian fun.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6723|US
This is an interesting one...
So, we want people who have not been convicted of any crime to be denied their 2nd Amendment rights?

I mean, we already deny them the ability to travel on airlines, why not deny some explicitly guaranteed rights too? It's not like they didn't get ample due process!  /sarcasm

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2009-06-21 13:44:28)

13/f/taiwan
+940|5707
lol, there is a way to check if you're on the terrorist watch list. some law enforcement computers show wether or not someone is on the terrorist watch list.

also, there are millions of people who are on the terrorist watch list simply because of their names/descent. my uncle is a cop and he was on it. i'm pretty sure after 9/11 most of my family members(immigrants from yemen) we're put on the terrorist watch list.

its just a watch list with the names of people who are suspected to possibly be terrorist if im not mistaken. i wouldn't be suprised if you find ATG on there tbh.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6413|North Carolina

ATG wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

um...  I stand corrected...
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6723|US
Update: The story made CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/22/ … index.html

I'm more in agreement with this sentiment (minus the Rep > Dem crap): http://fogghorn.blogspot.com/2009/06/if … ocrat.html
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6724
sounds like fearmongering... thought we didn't like fearmongering?
And if they can't pass gun restriction laws they can just have lists... very creative.
Don't go to any Tea Parties or question anything going on by our Messiah... or.... Oops, now you are on the list...
Love is the answer
DK_Vision
Self-loathing narcissist.
+41|6378|QUT, GP.
The government’s consolidated watch list, used to identify people suspected of links to terrorists, has grown to more than one million names
1 in 300 Americans: Probably terrorists.

That's 1/1000 people on that list trying to buy a gun over a span of five years.
Seems pretty average really, if you consider that individuals making multiple purchases might account for half of that.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6476
Yeah, also a ton of people on the list are there for really no reason. Until they've been proven dangerous, let them have the same rights as anyone else.
mikkel
+383|6609

usmarine wrote:

Are you saying that you're against the second amendment in this case?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard