H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5918|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
I got 2 comps on my home network (linksys router) 1 downstairs and 1 that I use for BF2 in my room, if the comp downstairs is turned off my ping on BF2 is fine normally get about 10 ping on most servers I play on and I never ever have any problems at all, but if the comp downstairs is turned on (which my bro uses) my ping spikes to about 400 every 2 seconds, I cant even move in the game its completely unplayable.
At first I thought it could be a virus taking bandwidth or whatever, turned out the comp downstairs had countless viruses couldnt even install AV software, so did a format and fresh install, now the comp downstairs has everything fine, its completely clean but again as soon as my bro even goes on a website my ping spikes from about 10 to about 400 every couple of seconds, the spike lasts for about 5-6 seconds making it unplayable, any ideas?
Simon
basically
+838|6708|UK
What's the speed of your internet connection? If its very low then it makes sense for your ping to spike if someone else is using the internet, I used to get it all the time when I was on 0.5mb
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6323
If you have very slow internet speeds then a youtube video or a myspace page can rape your bandwidth. Tell him to cease browsing demanding websites while you game, and if he doesn't listen, well, sabotage his computer

No but seriously, there are multiple tools you can find on the net which allow you to monitor connection traffic etc. Ask a techie for more info
H3RB4L ABU53
I thought it could be a youtube video or something, but its a just a simple internet forum he goes on, my connection speed is 2MB so its not super slow (not super fast either I know) but a forum shouldnt affect it at all surely?
Yes I do get pissed off and sabotage the net through the router for him lol I've got DDWRT firmware and tried the QOS but that doesnt affect my ping at all, I tried it so that my comp gets full speed and his comp gets 50k download and 10k upload (just for extremes) makes no difference to my ping spikes. Seems like they will always be there while his comp is on.
Ive looked into traffic monitoring software, I know I should really be posting stuff like this on a tech forum but thought it would be convenient here cos already signed up, to be honest, I don't really know what to do with traffic monitoring software or how to use it to find out whats making my ping go up.
I can browse the web fine and download things at fine speed its just when playing BF2 my ping goes mad, its driving me mad lol
H3RB4L ABU53
I would say I'd try Team Fortress 2 and see if my ping spikes then, but theres no point as its definately something to do with the comp downstairs and not BF2 as like I said it only happens when that comp is turned on and hes on that forum (some maple story forum or something) saying that, could a maple story forum take up a lot of bandwidth every time he refreshes a page or moves to another page due to maple story being popular? (and that causing ping spikes?)

edit- the site is called sleepywood, just for info

Last edited by H3RB4L ABU53 (2009-06-02 10:51:06)

JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6376|England
Happens to me when my sister is on youtube + spotify + facebook + webcam
youoldduffer
+3|6612|scotland
I'm getting the same prob lately we have 2 PC connected to one router (BT home hub 2)and its only the last week or so that we both are experiencing wild pings. Makes no diffrence if its just one or both of us on-line.
Usually when we are both on BF2 same or different servers we get avg ping of around 48-55 but now it seems to jump about in-game to 300-400. It will start off at 48 for a couple of mins then jump up and then its kick time.

Getting to the keyboard bashing time lol
ArabianSensation
+2|5492
He's probably torrenting or something. I wouldn't be surprised.

What OS is he running? When my brother upgraded his computer to Vista I started having the same issue, although it's been alleviated now that I've installed a second wireless router to use N. He still connects to the old G router.
youoldduffer
+3|6612|scotland
he's on xp 64 and I'm on vista 64, but this has only been happening for this last while it never happened before as we would both be on bF2 at the same time. Its got me stummped as i called BT and they say there's no problem with my line???.
H3RB4L ABU53
I am with Virgin and used to have 2MB when I got the problems, got upgraded to 10MB and when hes online I get hardly any lag, sometimes the ping goes from my usual 10-20 up to about 60 for a split second, and it hardly ever happens so the upgraded speed has definately helped but the only way to play BF2 with no lag whatsoever is to obviously be the only one on your network

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard