NgoDamWei
+7|5681|Western North Carolina
Refering back a few posts, California did not have it's first recession in '73.

There had always been land, water and Hollywood scandals that had rocked the ship but the first of my recollections while living there was about '58-61, 62ish. 

Prior to the election of JFK and following the Eisenhower warning of the Military Industrial complex California's complex began desinigrating following the Korean War and in the San Diego area was severly imploding in 1960. 

I remember the days well and not too fondly.  Especially gagging was Beach Boy music and other meaningless love songs sung in rediculously high voices (later to be mimiced by the Gibbs Brothers and newly emerging Afro American songster groups).

On the other hand,  "How gay" was still stuck in the closets (except for Hollywood) and Berkeley was not yet a radical hotbed.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina
In general, California would seem to be a great example of what happens when big business cuts corporate taxes while the public demands more standards and benefits (causing rises in personal taxation).

Add to this rampant materialism, pie-in-the-sky liberalism, and religious nutjobs in the inland areas, and well...   that's one hell of a dysfunctional situation.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6546|Global Command

Turquoise wrote:

In general, California would seem to be a great example of what happens when big business cuts corporate taxes while the public demands more standards and benefits (causing rises in personal taxation).

Add to this rampant materialism, pie-in-the-sky liberalism, and religious nutjobs in the inland areas, and well...   that's one hell of a dysfunctional situation.
Don't forget runaway illegal immigration.
Turquoise
O Canada

ATG wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Don't forget runaway illegal immigration.
Whoops...  I can't believe I left that out.  There you go.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

A few side notes here...

Reagan did fuck up quite a few things, but yeah, so did the Democrat Congress.

Clinton fucked up some things too, but a lot of it was helped along by the Republican Congress.

Bush #2 is a more clear cut case where blame can be mostly put on the GOP because, for 6 years, they ran both Houses and had the presidency.
That is if you ignore things like filibusters.. which the dems used as the minority to push through and protect legislation mandating "affordable housing for everyone".
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

A few side notes here...

Reagan did fuck up quite a few things, but yeah, so did the Democrat Congress.

Clinton fucked up some things too, but a lot of it was helped along by the Republican Congress.

Bush #2 is a more clear cut case where blame can be mostly put on the GOP because, for 6 years, they ran both Houses and had the presidency.
That is if you ignore things like filibusters.. which the dems used as the minority to push through and protect legislation mandating "affordable housing for everyone".
And the Republicans did the same for other things in the 80s.

So yeah, we can go on and on with this.  And Reagan vetoed plenty of regulation.

Last edited by Turquoise (2009-06-20 10:48:46)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Kmarion wrote:

Of course I see the fallacy of blaming all the current ills on Obama... just like I see the fallacy of blaming it all on Reagan or one party.
Yes we can.. go on and on.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Of course I see the fallacy of blaming all the current ills on Obama... just like I see the fallacy of blaming it all on Reagan or one party.
Then we agree.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Then we agree.
I said that in the first post. Congress certainly holds most of the blame. Ya know, cause the make the laws concerning regulation and spending? They over rode his vetoes also.
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/09/22/back.time/
http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/03/us/re … ailed.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Then we agree.
I said that in the first post. Congress certainly holds most of the blame. Ya know, cause the make the laws concerning regulation and spending? They over rode his vetoes also.
But we still agree on the folly of blaming either party for our current ills, which is all that really matters.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6618|132 and Bush

Turquoise wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Then we agree.
But we still agree on the folly of blaming either party for our current ills, which is all that really matters.
100% agree.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6546|Global Command
Trouble is, in effect we only have one party.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6732|US
Pro-corporations! Pro-government! Pro-POWER!  (switch D to R and vice versa, rinse, repeat)

Lincoln wrote:

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.
He was right, but very few recognize the fact that the majority of the people who attain great power sought it...and that is very rarely altruistic!
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6682|NT, like Mick Dundee

ATG wrote:

Trouble is, in effect we only have one party.
Need some independents/minor parties in your Congress.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard