Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6201|Winland

k.

Also, remember

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

How about you prove me wrong instead? You know, by facts?
lol ever heard of listening to products and then deciding whats better? or you buy stuff that have better specs regardless how they sound? Specs aren't really facts in this case, you really gotta listen to how it sounds.
Like I said before, the differences beyond specs matter very little when dealing reference amplifiers. They're designed with one thing in mind - to be invisible. Both of these things have a 99.9% flat frequency and frequency/distortion curve way past the human hearing range, leaving any sound colouring to whatever speakers and preamplifiers there are in the chain.

Your argument would be valid if we were dealing lower-end or tube equipment.
is not settled.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6457|The Twilight Zone

You 200€ preamp does not come close to the Marantz 18k worth monoblock
/end of debate
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Ioan92
+337|5726

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
Nice avatar.

Make love not war.

I kid.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
I have a 200€ preamp? And since when are we talking preamps here?

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-15 13:39:42)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
.Sup
be nice

Ioan92 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
Nice avatar.

Make love not war.

I kid.
I would but Freezer doesn't let me

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
I have a 200€ preamp?
Yes cos the scratches make it worth only 200€, you said it yourself. or is it not even worth 200€?

Last edited by .Sup (2009-06-15 13:39:54)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

.Sup wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
Nice avatar.

Make love not war.

I kid.
I would but Freezer doesn't let me

Freezer7Pro wrote:

.Sup wrote:

/end of debate
I have a 200€ preamp?
Yes cos the scratches make it worth only 200€, you said it yourself. or is it not even worth 200€?
You're the one who attacked me in the other thread, remember?

And since when does second-hand resell value reassemble performance?

And we're still talking power amps here. You know, the thing you plug your speakers into.

Also, look, the same Marantz going for $5000. That totally means it performs much worse than the one you buy directly from Marantz!

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-15 13:53:15)

.Sup
be nice
I don't see a point in this anymore. I give up, seriously. OK your 40 year old Luxman amp is almost as good as the newest two reference monoblocks from Marantz. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

.Sup wrote:

I don't see a point in this anymore. I give up, seriously. OK your 40 year old Luxman amp is almost as good as the newest two reference monoblocks from Marantz. Is that what you wanted to hear?
Since you fail to prove me wrong, I have no reason to believe otherwise. Why do you so forcefully want to do that anyhow?

Oh, and FYI, Luxman were more highly regarded than Marantz in their golden era.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-15 14:03:47)

FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6695|Devon, England
I can't believe you, of all people, Freezer, are saying that old Technology (Keyword: Technology (The thing that gets improved every month in hundreds of ways)) is better than new technology regarding yours and Sup's bitch topic.

You're being naive.

Last edited by FFLink13 (2009-06-15 14:59:07)

FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6504|so randum
i just bought these because the guy at the shop said they would be as good as £200 worth of speakers, is this true?

https://mobilecommunitydesign.com/images/ipod-headphones.jpg

they make my ipod sound great!
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6450|Amsterdam‫
inb4   NO
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
Defiance
+438|6675

.Sup wrote:

lol ever heard of listening to products and then deciding whats better? or you buy stuff that have better specs regardless how they sound? Specs aren't really facts in this case, you really gotta listen to how it sounds.
Oh, that's a gem. "My argument is subjective when you get down to it, but I'm still going to argue it vehemently."
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

FFLink13 wrote:

I can't believe you, of all people, Freezer, are saying that old Technology (Keyword: Technology (The thing that gets improved every month in hundreds of ways)) is better than new technology regarding yours and Sup's bitch topic.

You're being naive.
What I'm saying is that the development reached a peak in the late 70's that still to this day hasn't been improved upon. 95% of all amplifiers made today use the exact same technology -literally-, and 80% of those are cheap Chinese abominations that use it to a much, much less refined extent.

If you look at the specifications of, for example, the top-of-the-line 1982 Luxman L-05 and the Marantz TOTL in question, you'll notice that they're very similar, and that, in fact, the Luxman comes off marginally better. Costing around 3300 dollars in 1982, which translates to roughly 7000 modern dollars, the price wasn't all that far off either.

Then comes the thing that makes it so hard to compare prices between modern and vintage gear: The audio market inflation. Like I mentioned earlier in the thread (I don't expect you to have read that), the market for higher-end audio gear has almost disappeared since the small and cheap solutions started popping up in the 80's. Small radios, cassette players and such became a huge hit, as they could give you sound at a very low cost compared to the bookshelf systems of the time. Soon, the sales of those surpassed that of real gear, forcing manufacturers to cut costs and go with the flow. Did you know that Sony, a brand today associated with cheap plastic things, once was a quite highly regarded hi-fi manufacturer? Did you know that Pioneer, the company that makes all those cheap car stereos, once made the most recognized receiver ever made? The few, like Marantz, that kept on producing top-end stuff had to ramp up the prices for those to compensate for the lost profit. Supply and demand in all its glory.

The one thing that remains to be compared, however, is specifications. Specifications have been measured in the same way for a long time, and they're usually comparable between old and new technology, at least when dealing higher-end modern stuff. Did you know that the standard for rating output power in the 70's was at 0.1% distortion? Today, the de-facto standard is 10%. That's a hundred times more, and it should give a nudge about what has happened in later years.

TL;DR: Today, the main focus of the market is low production cost. The only things that don't have that focus are top-of-the-line. That wasn't the case 35 years ago.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-15 16:03:41)

TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5985|Toronto
Freezer, you're right about the fact that audio tech hasn't changed much since the early 80s. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Aurex SA-5000 sitting beside me makes a better sound than my mate's new Bose system. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Now, I'm going to try the impossible; to summarise the thread and create a middle ground.

1. Specs are relevant when the devices are new. Use, especially 35 years' worth, will change the sound so that most specs don't matter as much. SUre, rated capacity, number of outs (duh) and the like remain primordial, but distortion, StN and such aren't, because the components are used to varying degrees. Thus, Freezer's Luxman specs would be great even in 1990, not so much now. Anything can happen, and you can't know what it sounded like new.

2. There's no competition between the soon-to-be-mine (wishful thinking again) Marantz and any other going on. I like Marantz sound. I like the looks. I like the system. If Freezer likes his Luxman, that's great. If it works for him, fantastic. It's good that he actually cares about the thing. Comparing specs will lead us nowhere if we're arguing about models made 35 years apart.

3. Resale value. Does it matter? Does it boost your e-penis to know you could sell an amp for 2000, rather than 1500?

Let me ask, will you sell it? No. I will never sell my working amps. I will never sell my speakers. Neither would anyone else in this thread, I hope. And besides, what would you get to replace it with?

4. Changes in audio mentality. Yes. There have been many. The iPod (and the Walkman and Discman, to a lesser extent) killed music IMO. No more focus on quality. No longer was it the performance of the system, but now its cost. Proof being the number of thread wanting speakers for under 200 dollars. It's like audio is an afterthought these days. Sad. There's hardly any emphasis on sound quality anymore. That's why people like .Sup and Freezer and myself and all the others collect vintage gear, patch it up and keep it. Because we love the sound. We love the quality.
Personally, I switched to analogue recording last year. It's old tech; it's more expensive. But whatever anyone tells me, its sound is the one I like more than any other. Same for amps. Yours is yours. If you like it, it's all good. Stop trying to say it's better than mine--I'll never be convinced.

d(^_^)b
I like pie.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

TSI wrote:

Freezer, you're right about the fact that audio tech hasn't changed much since the early 80s. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the Aurex SA-5000 sitting beside me makes a better sound than my mate's new Bose system. Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

Now, I'm going to try the impossible; to summarise the thread and create a middle ground.

1. Specs are relevant when the devices are new. Use, especially 35 years' worth, will change the sound so that most specs don't matter as much. SUre, rated capacity, number of outs (duh) and the like remain primordial, but distortion, StN and such aren't, because the components are used to varying degrees. Thus, Freezer's Luxman specs would be great even in 1990, not so much now. Anything can happen, and you can't know what it sounded like new.

2. There's no competition between the soon-to-be-mine (wishful thinking again) Marantz and any other going on. I like Marantz sound. I like the looks. I like the system. If Freezer likes his Luxman, that's great. If it works for him, fantastic. It's good that he actually cares about the thing. Comparing specs will lead us nowhere if we're arguing about models made 35 years apart.
I don't want to start a flamewar with you, but come on, don't you think I (and most other vintage collectors) replace the aging parts? 35-year-old caps are a fire hazard Once those are replaced, there's not really anything else that ages in this stuff. Perhaps a resistor or two, but that's it.

And secondly - comparing anything to BOSE? BOSE is not much better than Logitech when it comes to sound quality. They just charge more.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-16 03:20:04)

TSI
+247|5985|Toronto

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TSI wrote:

I don't want to start a flamewar with you, but come on, don't you think I (and most other vintage collectors) replace the aging parts? 35-year-old caps are a fire hazard Once those are replaced, there's not really anything else that ages in this stuff. Perhaps a resistor or two, but that's it.

And secondly - comparing anything to BOSE? BOSE is not much better than Logitech when it comes to sound quality. They just charge more.
No flame war. I do think most replace dead/dying caps and resistors, but I'll still guarantee you it won't sound the same as new (new parts with old parts esp.). The ambient humidity, temperature and pressure will make minute changes which, again over 35 years, will make a difference. What I'm saying, though, is that it doesn't matter. So long as the sound is good, and that it's appealing, there's no problem.

Yeah, comparing to Bose. Bose makes quite good headphones, never used a speaker system myself.. I'll wholeheartedly agree that they're overrated and overpriced, but I'd rather not challenge and go back to your earlier point about price to justify quality, because I agree with you. Point being, my mate thinks they're awesome because they're expensive, and I like to prove him wrong. So I'm not comparing the make so much as the price.
I like pie.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

TSI wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TSI wrote:

No flame war. I do think most replace dead/dying caps and resistors, but I'll still guarantee you it won't sound the same as new (new parts with old parts esp.). The ambient humidity, temperature and pressure will make minute changes which, again over 35 years, will make a difference. What I'm saying, though, is that it doesn't matter. So long as the sound is good, and that it's appealing, there's no problem.
What changes exactly are you talking about? The wear on the protective layer of the circuit boards? There basically is nothing aside from capacitors that can be affected by age in electronics.
CrazeD
+368|6677|Maine

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TSI wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

What changes exactly are you talking about? The wear on the protective layer of the circuit boards? There basically is nothing aside from capacitors that can be affected by age in electronics.
That's a pretty bold statement...
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

TSI wrote:

Of course other stuff can be affected by age, but then we're talking about a lot bigger time frames or more advanced electronics.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-16 11:18:28)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6736|St. Andrews / Oslo

@Pioneer: Their DJ equipment is still very highly regarded, is it not?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

Jenspm wrote:

@Pioneer: Their DJ equipment is still very highly regarded, is it not?
Yeah.
TSI
+247|5985|Toronto

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Of course other stuff can be affected by age, but then we're talking about a lot bigger time frames or more advanced electronics.
We're talking thirty-five years. That's a big timeframe, no?
I like pie.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

TSI wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

CrazeD wrote:

We're talking thirty-five years. That's a big timeframe, no?
Not in this case. 350 years is a big timeframe.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6650
$100 headphones > $1000+ speakers. That said, the people over at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/ think it's perfectly acceptable to drop $1000 on a pair of headphones.

I like my Grado MS1's for music and my Audiotechnica ATH A500's for games.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6201|Winland

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

$100 headphones > $1000+ speakers. That said, the people over at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/ think it's perfectly acceptable to drop $1000 on a pair of headphones.

I like my Grado MS1's for music and my Audiotechnica ATH A500's for games.
Dohoho. Of course they say that, they're a headphone forum.

That said, I lurked there for a while. I find that there is a concentration of "modern audiophiles" as I call them, there. People who don't really know anything about the subject, but only go after the price and the number of three-letter acronyms on their stuff.

Now, I'm not arguing that headphones don't have good price:performance, they do, but to a certain extent.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2009-06-19 08:06:22)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard