Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6643
A robot lacks emotion, desire, greed, and, most importantly, corruption. It would create policy and legislation based on pure machine logic. The only human element would be the general goals (of weighted importance) we set for the machine to achieve (e.g. striving for a strong economy, high standard of living, personal freedoms, safety, etc.).

Good idea?

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2009-06-17 10:22:21)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
Been tried.

Didn't work out so well.

Last edited by Poseidon (2009-06-17 10:45:10)

NgoDamWei
+7|5660|Western North Carolina
Yesterday you prided yourself on calling other peoples bullsh*t.  You might consider calling yourself.
Ioan92
+337|5719
Skynet.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6643

Ioan92 wrote:

Skynet.
We wouldn't program it with the ability to become self-aware. It would merely take in statistics then create policy and legislation to manipulate those statistics in a favorable manner.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2009-06-17 10:35:59)

Ioan92
+337|5719
Then I agree totally.

Even though, some humans, could do this job as well at the machine. Those people aren't found on the political scene.

I would be one of them.

Seriously.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

The religious right wouldn't like it. If logic and common sense prevailed, how would we deny people the right to abortions and waste the taxpayers money giving it to Israel?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6643

ghettoperson wrote:

The religious right wouldn't like it. If logic and common sense prevailed, how would we deny people the right to abortions and waste the taxpayers money giving it to Israel?
Man, the robot aint gonna give a shit.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Statistics can be manipulated in any way you want to achieve virtually any desired outcome.  Policy and society can't be governed by an algorithm.  There are far too many variables needed to take into account that change constantly.  One of the reasons government fails so hard is the lack of realization that many things need to be approached on a case by case basis - that you can't apply a broadstroke fix to case "B" because it worked for case "A".
BigOrangeArmy
Don't tase me, bro!
+12|5992|Dallas

ghettoperson wrote:

The religious right wouldn't like it. If logic and common sense prevailed, how would we deny people the right to abortions slaughtering innocent babies
fixed.

It might be actually dangerous. What if it was shut down--even momentarily--by a terrorist EMP or something? Or it, just like any other computer, got hacked? Too much power in one place imo .
ghettoperson
+1,943|6646

BigOrangeArmy wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

The religious right wouldn't like it. If logic and common sense prevailed, how would we deny people the right to abortions slaughtering innocent babies
fixed.
LOL
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6593|Michigan, USA

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Ioan92 wrote:

Skynet.
We wouldn't program it with the ability to become self-aware. It would merely take in statistics then create policy and legislation to manipulate those statistics in a favorable manner.
Makes sense.  But who gets to determine what to program as favorable policy?  Debate then ensues amongst the two sides once again.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6642
bad idea, they would kill most of us in order to save the few
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6526|Global Command
Make a hack proof intranat first and then maybe yes.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6594|Seattle

I think it's actually a pretty good idea. The president's just a puppet anyways, might as well make a metal puppet.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Ioan92
+337|5719

ATG wrote:

Make a hack proof intranat first and then maybe yes.
That or make it local.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

We should just make the people automatons.  We're pretty much already there anyway.
topal63
. . .
+533|6715
Sure let's free associate - and let my stream of consciousness wander.... I wonder... what if a machine?

Who's the programmer elite crowd? The machine maintenance elite crowd?

Certainly a machine without a will of its own - will have the will of another/others. Sounds like more of the same to me; less humanity in the system.

It is already an emotionless robotic capitalistic greed machine - with cannibalistic super-predators vampirically feeding off the living part inside the machine. Kill the useless super-predators at the top that produce NOTHING real. How about less machine, more humanity; how about fewer vampires and cannibals (useless capitalists), less machine, less Jewish zombie worship and more focus on the real world (real human problems and real human decency), and let technology, honesty, work, integrity, conscience, innovation, entrepreneurs (real capitalists that risk their own money) and personal prosperity be that which guides the system. Or, hey why not more of the same - throw money at (the status quo crowd) a failed system/machine and allow the vampires to build coffins of money to slumber in; inside the inhuman machine, until the next feeding frenzy is viable; when the victim(s) have at least partially recovered.

I guess I don't see how this would be better or truly different.

Last edited by topal63 (2009-06-17 12:16:22)

Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6643

ghettoperson wrote:

I think Terminators 1-4 would make you think telling a robot to kill out of convience would be a bad thing.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

I, Robot.

Read it.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Ioan92
+337|5719

Flecco wrote:

I, Robot.

Read it.
Robot must not be sentient, make it sentient, and its logic will determine us as a threat 100% guaranteed.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

No thanks. It would enslave us all. Further more; I, for one, welcome our new robot overlord.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6497|so randum
And who programs the machine?

We make things in our own image.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

Ioan92 wrote:

Flecco wrote:

I, Robot.

Read it.
Robot must not be sentient, make it sentient, and its logic will determine us as a threat 100% guaranteed.
Your sentence proves you haven't read I, Robot. Go read it. By Isaac Asimov. Interesting book, speculative Science Fiction about a possible direction the development of robotics and AI could take.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
san4
The Mas
+311|6685|NYC, a place to live
They should give the robot a penis so interns could give it head and no one would care.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard