blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6637
Cash is accelerating down the path to extinction as new technologies threaten to mark the end of loose change within a decade.

Bank and credit union bosses say cash won’t be alone, with wallets and credit cards also likely to disappear too.

They told The Advertiser’s round table forum that cash and cards will be replaced by computer chips embedded in mobile phones, watches or other portable devices.

Australian Central chief executive Peter Evers believes cash will be replaced for most transactions in five-to-seven years.

“Cash will disappear as there will be other forms of carrying cash, stored value in your phone or whatever it might be. It will transfer automatically,” he said."We're very close in countries around the world. If you go in to Hong Kong or Singapore, the low-value transactions have already disappeared. You can't go anywhere, like on public transport, without pre-purchasing a card.

"I think the Australian Payment Systems Board is very much on top of it and is trying to move down a path, but hasn't publicly put things into place yet."Chris Ward expects Australia to follow the offshore lead, with small cash transactions disappearing first.

"So you can't go and buy a bottle of water from the deli with cash; you've got to go and buy it with your chip," he said. Savings & Loans chief executive Greg Connor said the concept of the wallet would go.

"Whereas now we have a wallet and purse, it will be a chip in your phone or your watch or something like that as your access," he said.
source

What do you think? Are you for or against cashless society? Do you see any potential dangers with this? like security problems... life if u were to steal someone's ID card u could potentially acquire all of their possessions including their money.... and the rest of the personal information
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

I've heard of this somewhere before...

https://www.imagechicken.com/uploads/1245267152049968700.gif
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6570|Columbus, OH
/inb4booko'revelations
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

What better way to control the flow of capital than have no real hard currency?  It's already at the point where money really isn't something tangible, it's just a place holder for your job-hours.  You are worth what people are willing to pay you.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
We are already there with ATM cards.

As long as it isn't implants.

That would be ugly.
topal63
. . .
+533|6710
It's just an idea that imposes one-more level of control onto human-beings. I can even foresee people being evaluted in some way as being equal to their credit score. If you have a bad credit score, which doesn't just mean you fail to make payments but that you don't borrow money often enough, that you'll be looked down upon in the job-market when getting a job in the consumer-grid. Why give a decent paying job to someone who does not pay  to have more money (which is a kickback to the elite in the system). I can also guess, or foresee, a difference in those on the grid vs those off, or forced off, the consumer-credit-grid. What better punishment would there be for anyone that has the nerve to challenge the authority of the system than to just kick them off the grid.

Last edited by topal63 (2009-06-17 12:01:27)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
Exactly.

There should be no hereditory elite and there should be sane limits on wealth.

Inheriting some elite position always ends in incest where the masses remain in poverty and the power drunk end up fucking their sister.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
This basically already exists, it's just a matter of time before it becomes mainstream (AFAIK only credit cards have it... or at least, shitty Bank of America doesn't have check/debit cards with it)

www.americanexpress.com/expresspay

http://www.paypass.com/

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/paywave/index.html
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone
Meh, Cash pisses me of sometimes, and I buy almost everything on credit anyway cause it saves me money and is much easier.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6589|Seattle

DrunkFace wrote:

Meh, Cash pisses me of sometimes, and I buy almost everything on credit anyway cause it saves me money and is much easier.
Using credit saves you money? You must have a low interest rate.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD

King_County_Downy wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

If you treat it like a debit card, then cashback cards would in theory save you money.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6731|Toronto | Canada

King_County_Downy wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

I think he means the bonuses he gets? Air miles etc

err... Is air miles canadian? I dont even know
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
Less drug deals lulz.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
xBlackPantherx
Grow up, or die
+142|6335|California
I believe I saw this on Beyond Tomorrow on the Science channel. I think it'd be fantastic. I personally quite dislike using cash. The only problem I see is personal transactions, like between friends or family members where theres not a machine like at a store or something. Unless you put that kind of scan technology into the phone or wherever they put the chips so you can scan your friend or family members chip and transfer the money instantly.
topal63
. . .
+533|6710

King_County_Downy wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

They [the credit card co.] charge the company [he buys from] a percentage fee of the transaction. Overall prices goes up and yet people think they're saving money? How could they be - the credit card companies make pure profit and the consumer pays one way or another.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
It saves me money cause its connected to a mortgage with a redraw facility.

My pay goes directly into the mortgage which saves me money on interest (calculated daily), then I purchase everything on credit use the 60 day interest free period on the credit cards then redraw the money out of the home loan to pay them off. Also due to there only being 1 account I save on account fees and I never (or very rarely) have any withdrawal costs.

Then I get all the 'bonuses' on top of that.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

topal63 wrote:

King_County_Downy wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

They [the credit card co.] charge the company [he buys from] a percentage fee of the transaction. Overall prices goes up and yet people think they're saving money? How could they be - the credit card companies make pure profit and the consumer pays one way or another.
You can pay by credit which effectively splits the increase price between everyone or you can go to an ATM and get charged withdrawal costs and then still have the higher prices cause everyone else is using credit.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6728|Salt Lake City

Could this possibly reduce crime by making cash a thing of the past?  Drug dealers would have a much harder time conducting business and hiding their assets.

Could this reduce illegal immigration?  No more off the books, under the table, employees you can pay in cash.

Could this reduce social program abuse?  No more using food stamps to buy food when you can afford to drive a Lincoln Navigator, pay cash for your beer, and buy a MO for a few hundred to send to Mexico.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard