blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616
Concerned about a lack of legal support from the province of B.C., Golden and District Search and Rescue is suspending service after a skier named it in a lawsuit last month.Joel Jackson, president of Golden and District Search and Rescue (GADSAR), said the group won't resume operations until legal coverage is provided to volunteers by the Provincial Emergency Program (PEP). The issue came to the forefront last month after Quebec skier Gilles Blackburn launched a lawsuit seeking damages from the Golden search and rescue society, as well as the RCMP and Kicking Horse Resort, after he and his wife spent nine days lost in the wilderness.He claims the three organizations didn't do enough to save him and his wife, Marie-Josee Fortin, 44, after they became lost on Feb. 15.

Fortin died of hypothermia seven days into the ordeal.  Duffy said the lawsuit has forced all B.C. rescue teams to re-examine their insurance policies."There's a lot of concern over this and a lot of focus on it because it is a first and we want to explore what the gaps and risks are out of this and inform the wider search-and-rescue community to make sure that everyone has the coverages that they need," he said.The concern about a lack of legal coverage has also prompted other search-and-rescue teams in the east Kootenays to consider shutting down, said Golden councillor Mike Pecora."Basically it's turning out to be almost a full protest -- it's a pretty dicey protest," he said."Why would you want to go out because you could turn around and sue them because they didn't get you out quick enough," he said.

source

Should the couple sue the rescue team? considering that the rescue team didnt find them on time and alos the guys wife died so I guess thats his reason for suing the rescue team... What do you think? the rescue teams in that area wont be operating while the lawsuit is going on, which could potentially lead to other people dying... and not being lost lol
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6568|Seattle

Wow that pisses me off. No one takes responsibility for their own actions any more. They're the ones who got lost ffs! Stupid cunts!
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

It'll never happen.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Ioan92
+337|5693
I miss the days when you carpet bomb first and ask questions later.
blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6616

King_County_Downy wrote:

Wow that pisses me off. No one takes responsibility for their own actions any more. They're the ones who got lost ffs! Stupid cunts!
yeah now, since they are on trial.... there are zero rescue people available... until the trial or the lawsuit is over the rescuers should be able to go back...
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

No mention of waivers being signed first at the resort?  We had to sign a waiver for just going to Mountain High and going tubing.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6385|Finland

They should have left him rot there too
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
TSI
Cholera in the time of love
+247|5951|Toronto
Yeah, made quite a stir in Canadian papers. What a joke. The guy's a tool and an asshole. The people saved him; so he'll sue them for not doing it quick enough? I can understand suing the RCMP, apparently they did take their sweet time. But suing a VOLUNTEER organisation? Seriously?

Agreed with Panzer. They should have left him there.

On another note, I hope that the province/state sue him for costing the state time and money by getting lost in the first place, disregarding signs to stay on trails.
I like pie.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

Good Samaritan law?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Benzin
+576|5969
Wow ... what a tool. Quite surprised this one is coming out of Canada and not the USA.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
He's 55 years old, he probably doesnt remember where he parks his car in the mall parking lot. who let this clown go off trail without a transmitting radio or cell phone. Lawsuits are double-edge swords, he should be counter-sued.

one of life's irony: his wife dies. A nurse who helps people, but fate lets a selfish bas-turd live. Oh well whats one more asshole in the world.

Last edited by loubot (2009-06-16 11:15:49)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

They should take him back over there and tell him to ski home.
blah
macaroni with cheeseeee
+111|5718|Croatia
oh lol
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6591|Auteuil, Laval

TSI wrote:

On another note, I hope that the province/state sue him for costing the state time and money by getting lost in the first place, disregarding signs to stay on trails.
Absolutely, he merits just that!

I hope good samaritan law prevails.  What!  A guy that goes out on a search can't come back to sleep!  It's not their fault if that prick lost himself.  Volounteer poeple should be protected at all cost against those "ostie d'crosseur du calisse".  May he be used as a tool or not!  Or just pass him the bill of the search, he'll have for decades to come back from it!.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
Fucking hell
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6324|West NY
I typed this and clicked submit

Last edited by Noobpatty (2009-06-16 18:06:35)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
I think there was a similar story here in California where a guy, unconscious, was pulled from an accident by a woman like a rage doll.  The guy is now a paraplegic and the car was not on fire (just the smoke from the airbag).

Basically the Supreme Court of California ruled that if you are not trained in resecue (i.e. if you try to give mouth-to-mouth to someone and you aren't trained), then you are liable.

So basically means if I see someone I can only call 911 and that's all I can do.
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6324|West NY

Harmor wrote:

rage doll.
RAGE DOLL

Last edited by Noobpatty (2009-06-16 18:09:59)

S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6417|Chicago, IL
If you go into the wilderness for any reason, you're at the mercy of nature, not the legal system, it always pisses me off that they risk more lives to find some idiot who climbs a god dammed mountain.

I hope the idiots have to pay for the cost of the rescue as well.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6636|NT, like Mick Dundee

Harmor wrote:

I think there was a similar story here in California where a guy, unconscious, was pulled from an accident by a woman like a rage doll.  The guy is now a paraplegic and the car was not on fire (just the smoke from the airbag).

Basically the Supreme Court of California ruled that if you are not trained in resecue (i.e. if you try to give mouth-to-mouth to someone and you aren't trained), then you are liable.

So basically means if I see someone I can only call 911 and that's all I can do.
We have the opposite law here in the NT. Common sense prevails.

Basically if you see somebody injured/a car crash w/e, and nobody else is there you are legally bound to stop and assist in any way you can, trained or not in any way you can within reason.

If somebody else is already attending to the scene, you are legally bound to stop and ask if they require assistance.

Of course hundreds of people ignore all this but it means that if good Samaritans do stop to help their asses are covered.

Btw a guy who stopped with his wife to attend to a truck-on-car crash recently got hit by a passing car.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-06-16 23:01:56)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US
Most places have "Good Samaritan" laws which protect people trying to help, unless they do something grossly stupid, like try to perform open-heart surgery on the side of the road without training or assistance.
In the US, the police have no duty to protect individuals.  See Castle Rock v. Gonzales or Warren v. DC (IIRC)

This guy should be counter-sued.
TheBestYet
The man who Motivated Michael Jackson
+7|5401
i dont get why they would sue someone for trying to help them..
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
a Mutantbear should have teared him apart for not being grateful for the try
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

.Sup wrote:

a Mutantbear should have teared him apart for not being grateful for the try
please forward complaint to

http://forums.bf2s.com/profile.php?id=32045

should stick him back out there then if he was unsatisfied with their service
ghettoperson
+1,943|6620

To bad he didn't get caught in an avy. Ungrateful fuck.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard