usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

I suggest reading the book Food Inc. and seeing the movie.  Made me rethink how I shop tbh. 

So, are we being fed crap for profit?  Can we stop it?

Last edited by usmarine (2009-06-14 15:20:15)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I'll watch the videos give me a minute just before I do I'm going to shoot off a general statement;

I rather have the choice to buy unhealthy food then have the government deciding I can't.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6401|North Carolina
While some reforms are certainly needed in the sanitation of food preparation, farming is inevitably a corporate arrangement.

Corporations produce food much more efficiently than small farmers.

Another plus to corporate farming is the fact that they don't need subsidies to make a profit.

More than anything, we need to end all farm subsidies (whether they are for small farmers or corporations).
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Turquoise wrote:

More than anything, we need to end all farm subsidies (whether they are for small farmers or corporations).
agree.  especially corn.  corn makes up most the crap we buy.
Turquoise
O Canada

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

True.  Corn syrup is a toxic substance with regard to long term health, and we should return to the use of sugar cane, because it is far healthier.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6702

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

True.  Corn syrup is a toxic substance with regard to long term health, and we should return to the use of sugar cane, because it is far healthier.
Corn syrup is toxic?  Proof?
Turquoise
O Canada

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

I should've been more specific.  High Fructose Corn Syrup has a negative effect on long term health.

"Critics of HFCS point out a correlation between increased usage of HFCS in foods and obesity rates in the United States over three decades. Some allege that HFCS is in itself more detrimental to health than table sugar (sucrose); others claim that the low cost of HFCS encourages overconsumption of sugars. The Corn Refiners Association has launched an aggressive advertising campaign to counter these criticisms, claiming that high fructose corn syrup "is natural" and "has the same natural sweeteners as table sugar". Both sides point to studies in peer reviewed journals that allegedly support their point of view.

Elliot et al., implicate increased consumption of fructose (due primarily to the increased consumption of sugars but also partly due to the slightly higher fructose content of HFCS as compared to sucrose) in obesity and insulin resistance. Chi-Tang Ho et al. found that soft drinks sweetened with HFCS are up to 10 times richer in harmful carbonyl compounds, such as methylglyoxal, than a diet soft drink control. Carbonyl compounds are elevated in people with diabetes and are blamed for causing diabetic complications such as foot ulcers and eye and nerve damage;

A study in mice suggests that fructose increases obesity. Large quantities of fructose stimulate the liver to produce triglycerides, promotes glycation of proteins and induces insulin resistance. According to one study, the average American consumes nearly 70 lb (32 kg) of HFCS a year, marking HFCS as a major contributor to the rising rates of obesity in the last generation.

In a 2007 study, rats were fed a diet high in fat and HFCS and kept relatively sedentary for 16 weeks in an attempt to emulate the diet and lifestyle of many Americans. The rats were not forced to eat, but were able to eat as much as they wanted; they consumed a large amount of food, and the researcher, Dr. Tetri stated that there is evidence that fructose suppresses the sensation of fullness. Within four weeks, the rats showed early signs of fatty liver disease and type II diabetes. Shapiro et al. fed rats a high-fructose diet for six months and compared them to rats that had been fed a fructose-free diet. Although the rats that had consumed high levels of fructose showed no change in weight, when compared to the rats that had consumed a fructose-free diet, levels of leptin in the blood of rats fed a high-fructose diet indicated the development of leptin resistance. When the rats were switched to a high-fat diet, the leptin-resistant rats, those fed a high-fructose diet, gained more weight than those who had not developed the resistance and had been fed a fructose-free diet.

A pilot study reported that some high-fructose corn syrup manufactured in the U.S. in 2005 contained trace amounts of mercury. The mercury appeared to come from caustic soda and hydrochloric acid, two chemicals used in the manufacture of high-fructose corn syrup that can, depending on their manufacturing process, contain traces of mercury. Mercury concentrations in the samples testing positive ranged from 0.012 μg/g to 0.570 μg/g (micrograms per gram). Eleven of the twenty samples tested did not contain measurable amounts of mercury."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-fructose_corn_syrup
The#1Spot
+105|6536|byah

usmarine wrote:

I suggest reading the book Food Inc. and seeing the movie.  Made me rethink how I shop tbh. 

Yes, but I do not want to pay several times the amount that food currently costs to meet all cleaning requirements.
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6362|California
I don't drink any HFCS anymore, just water and 100% juice here and there
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6712
my friend was a manager at taco bell and he said the beef for the tacos was Grade D and the meat was green before they cooked it
also the beef is skimmed fat that is marbelized... yum yum...   Taco Bell still tastes good at 2 in the morning...lol
Love is the answer
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6362|California

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

my friend was a manager at taco bell and he said the beef for the tacos was Grade D and the meat was green before they cooked it
also the beef is skimmed fat that is marbelized... yum yum...   Taco Bell still tastes good at 2 in the morning...lol
Yeah this is true, cause I have a couple of friends that work at taco bell and they all say all the meat there is GRADE D, it still good though, not going to lie, for that cheap of a price, its good, but baddd

Last edited by =NHB=Shadow (2009-06-14 17:17:28)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

You're such a fucking hippy Tyler.

jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

usmarine wrote:

what Turquoise said ...
and its banned in Europe

Last edited by jsnipy (2009-06-14 18:28:06)

Turquoise
O Canada

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

Yes, but I do not want to pay several times the amount that food currently costs to meet all cleaning requirements.
A lot of the current cost of food is due to subsidies and the practice of literally paying farmers and corporations to limit their production.

If such practices and subsidies were ended, then the price would fall considerably for a lot of foods, and the resulting rises due to higher standards would either equal current prices or might even keep them slightly lower than they currently are.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Turquoise wrote:

The#1Spot wrote:

usmarine wrote:

A lot of the current cost of food is due to subsidies and the practice of literally paying farmers and corporations to limit their production.

If such practices and subsidies were ended, then the price would fall considerably for a lot of foods, and the resulting rises due to higher standards would either equal current prices or might even keep them slightly lower than they currently are.
^^
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

When enough people buy organic food the prices will drop ... buy local products ... they are easier to trace where it comes from and it stimulates and supports your community ...

You'll never see my family at a fast food restaurant ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Varegg wrote:

When enough people buy organic food the prices will drop ... buy local products ... they are easier to trace where it comes from and it stimulates and supports your community ...
not everyone lives near a farm.  thats the hard part man.  farmers markets are sometimes tough to come by in the city.
Varegg
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

Varegg wrote:

not everyone lives near a farm.  thats the hard part man.  farmers markets are sometimes tough to come by in the city.
I know ... but as local as possible or buy brands you know have a good rep ...

Farmers markets are pretty common around Europe, even in major cities ...
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Varegg wrote:

i know.  and good for you.  but, thats not the case here.  thats kind of the point.
Varegg
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

Varegg wrote:

i know.  and good for you.  but, thats not the case here.  thats kind of the point.
To me that is a big point because if we don't stop buying these "crap" products the prices for the good stuff will stay higher than it have to and those guys stuffing corn syrup and other crap in everything doesn't have to redo their priciples of running their business ... too many people doesn't give a shit where their food is coming from, how it's made or from what ... it's to easy going to a McDonalds for a fast meal and bringing up your children beliving McDonalds is proper food ... McDonalds just being one of many and used to illustrate a point in this case ...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

McD's is a choice to eat crap.  People think they are eating healthy when they go to the grocery store, and that ain't the case.  That's kind of the idea of the movie.

I choose to spend more and eat organic as much as possible.  But until the govt does something, it will always cost more.
Varegg
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

usmarine wrote:

McD's is a choice to eat crap.  People think they are eating healthy when they go to the grocery store, and that ain't the case.  That's kind of the idea of the movie.

I choose to spend more and eat organic as much as possible.  But until the govt does something, it will always cost more.
Of course there are more to it than dining fast food (that was just one example), not sure what regulation you have in the US but we have rules about informing the public on the food what it contains ... I don't buy anything without checking the list of contents ...

We make pretty much everything we eat from scratch with products we know doesn't contain crap ... of course the kids gets their share of candy, chips and such on saturdays but we also limit it to one day a week ... we also try to find the lesser harmful of those products ... it takes a little traning making your own tasty burgers and other meals but I thinks it's well worth it in the long run ...
Varegg
+2,206|6806|Nårvei

I think we pretty much agree on this subject
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
This is a large reason why we have a large garden planted.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York
I'd definitely go to WholeFoods/Wild By Nature a lot more if it wasn't so fucking expensive, as stated.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard