globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
A few years ago the EU limited nicotine content (hence the tar and carbon monoxide content too) and introduced big, black-bordered warning labels on both sides and taxes on tobacco products continuously increased every year.
Also, smoking was banned in public buildings and locations and restaurants and bars above a certain size had to create non-smoking sections.
Seemingly didn't affect anyone.

Also, at least here in Austria, you now need to insert a debit card (or credit card with such a function) into cigarette machines first as a proof that you are at least 16 and thus allowed to smoke (you can only get your own back account and debit card with 16).
Since I'm not that young anymore I can't tell how easy it would be for minors to "borrow" a debit card or ask a passer-by.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum

usmarine wrote:

wow...everyone is wrong so far.

the govt gets huge amounts of money from tobacco, and uses that money to fund anti tobacco programs and such.  they dont want you to quit smoking, they want you to think they care about you.  you really think the govt wants to hurt tobacco and the health care world?  lol.  i got a bridge for you if you believe that.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6635|NT, like Mick Dundee

usmarine wrote:

not only that, but demonizing more and more it makes the kiddies want to fight the power even more.
FIGHT THE MAN, SMOKE A CUBAN CIGAR!

I don't smoke myself. Actually tried a few times but didn't get any rush or any feelings at all really. So not my thing I guess. I fund the government dutifully through frequent alcohol purchases. Me loves me some beer.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
Now it's soda... and they are talking about taxing cell phone usage
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/06/ … -flat.html
Love is the answer
Lotta_Drool
Spit
+350|6154|Ireland
About time.  If I was getting rich off of selling something that killed people and made them sick the government would shut me down in a heartbeat, well unless they were making 50 cents on the dollar off me selling it and I sold Billions of dollars worth a year.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Now it's soda... and they are talking about taxing cell phone usage
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/06/ … -flat.html
fuck ya.  tax text messages.  we could pay down the deficit.  fuck we would be in the black.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6732

anyone find it odd they are regulating (and proud of it) something that they say kills you?  i dont get it.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
I am going to quit my job soon and play xbox games all day(while it's still legal) and wait for my check... Utopia is going to be awesome...
Love is the answer
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
Limiting nicotine content is the one good thing about all this.  If nicotine was completely removed from cigarettes, people would stop getting addicted.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439
Where does the government come off telling companies what they can and cannot put into their products. Let the free market decide if it's okay to sneak anti-freeze into milk.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
Watch, next the lack of tax revenues submitted by tobacco companies will be a crysis.
The#1Spot
+105|6510|byah
I think rather than extra taxing consumer items that link to health problems. How about allow Hospitals to refuse people without medical insurance. Govt saves money, the people will pay less for insurance and the ones that cant afford must get a legal job and have less than a dozen kids. It is all win.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina

The#1Spot wrote:

I think rather than extra taxing consumer items that link to health problems. How about allow Hospitals to refuse people without medical insurance. Govt saves money, the people will pay less for insurance and the ones that cant afford must get a legal job and have less than a dozen kids. It is all win.
You'll have to revoke the Hippocratic Oath and make sure every hospital has heavy security.  Otherwise, you'll have a lot of "John Q" situations.
aimless
+166|6095|Texas
I'm confused on this part:
Smokers, particularly the younger crowd, will find they can no longer buy cigarettes sweetened by candy flavors or any herb or spices such as strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon or vanilla. Cigarettes advertised as "light" or "mild," giving the impression that they aren't as harmful to health, will no longer be found on store shelves.
Does this mean I cant buy my grape cigarillos to roll blunts with anymore? I don't see getting rid of flavors will change anything.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6416|The Land of Scott Walker
Perhaps they should lower the amount of alcohol in our beer, too.   The whole point of a cigarette is the nicotine.  Now people will smoke MORE.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6687
Will be interesting to see when the black market will emerge...
Love is the answer
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

[TUF]Catbox wrote:

Will be interesting to see when the black market will emerge...
Ahh I love you Catbox but there is already a huge market for illegal, stolen, and foreign cigarettes. Hell you could order them online to get around Taxes. I, for one, welcome our new black market mafias.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard