bogo24dk
+26|6524
In a sign of growing concern in Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's government over US President Barack Obama's Middle East policies, Minister-without-Portfolio Yossi Peled proposed Israeli sanctions on the US in a letter to cabinet ministers on Sunday.
Likud Minister Without...

Likud Minister Without Portfolio Yossi Peled.
Photo: Ariel Jerozolimski
SLIDESHOW: Israel & Region  |  World

In the 11-page letter, obtained by The Jerusalem Post from a minister on Monday, Peled recommends steps Israel can take to compensate for the shift in American policy, which he believes has become hostile to Israel.

"Obama's ascendance represents a turning point in America's approach to the region, especially to Israel," he wrote in the letter. "The new administration believes that in order to fight terror, guarantee stability and withdraw from Iraq, a new diplomatic slant is needed involving drastic steps to pacify the Muslim world and the adoption of a more balanced approach to Israel, including intensive pressure to stop building in settlements, remove outposts and advance the formation of a Palestinian state."

Peled added that faced with an American government with an activist agenda that does not mesh with Israel's, traditional reactions are no longer relevant. He said he expected that Obama would eventually realize that appeasement and dialogue with countries that support terror would not have positive results.
RELATED

* Likud MKs: Endorsing 2 states won't topple PM

But in the interim, the minister suggests reconsidering military and civilian purchases from the US, selling sensitive equipment that the Washington opposes distributing internationally, and allowing other countries that compete with the US to get involved with the peace process and be given a foothold for their military forces and intelligence agencies.

Peled said that shifting military acquisition to America's competition would make Israel less dependent on the US. For instance, he suggested buying planes from the France-based Airbus firm instead of the American Boeing.

In what may be his most controversial suggestion, Peled recommends intervening in American congressional races to weaken Obama and asking American Jewish donors not to contribute to Democratic congressional candidates. He predicted that this would result in Democratic candidates pressuring Obama to become more pro-Israel.

Peled called for the formation of a new body intended to influence American public opinion. The groups he suggests courting include Hispanic Americans and Labor unions in industries that benefit from Israeli military acquisitions.

A former OC Northern Command, Peled is considered part of the left flank of the Likud that includes ministers Dan Meridor and Michael Eitan. Unlike Environment Minister Gilad Erdan, he does not have a history of openly criticizing American policies and unlike Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz, he does not have personal ties to the Republican Party.

Peled told the Post on Monday that he still hoped common ground could be found with the Obama administration, but just in case that did not happen, Israel must be ready.

"We must make every effort to maintain our relationship with the US and I respect Obama, but Israel has its own interests and we have to know what our alternatives are," Peled said. "I don't think what I suggest is vengeful. I just think that even a superpower must behave like a partner."

Peled personally gave the letter to Netanyahu at Sunday's cabinet meeting and urged him to take it seriously. But a source close to the prime minister reacted to it with scorn and stressed that none of Peled's suggestions would be implemented.

"The government's goal is to cooperate with the US," an official in the Prime Minister's Office said. "Jerusalem and Washington have a special relationship and we expect that relationship to continue to be strong, intimate and cooperative."

Shoshana Bryen, the senior director for security policy at the Jewish Institute for National Security Affairs in Washington, said she could understand Peled's perspective but worried about its consequences.

"If what he's doing is expressing the frustration that after being a good friend and ally, as Israel has been, he feels like Israel is being stepped on, then he's right," she said, adding that it was appropriate to make America aware of those feelings.

But she warned that such expressions could "take on a life of their own," and that some of Peled's policy prescriptions could be less than helpful for the Jewish state.

For instance, while Bryen said it made sense for Israel to diversify its military sales partners in any case, relationships with European and Russian companies and countries were likely to be subject to some of the same issues.

In addition, she noted, America might not be pleased.

"If you take on a big country when you're a small country, you have to be very, very cognizant of the ways a big country can respond," she said.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Peled's letter.

But Democratic political activists in Washington dismissed out of hand Peled's suggestions, saying that such an approach would have little chance of influencing Congress's posture on Israel.

"It shows Yossi Peled is terribly uninformed about US politics," said National Jewish Democratic Council Executive Director Ira Forman. "He doesn't understand the politics of the American Jewish community. He doesn't understand the politics of the Democratic party."

Forman argued that Republicans had long tried to use the issue of Israel to peel Jews away from the Democratic Party with limited success, as the constituency continued to vote overwhelmingly Democrat.

He predicted that such efforts, if attempted, would neither shift congressional support away from Obama nor boomerang to hurt Israel's backing on Capitol Hill.

"Any such efforts would be so quixotic, would be so insignificant, would be so non-workable that I don't think it would have an impact either way," he said.

But other Jewish leaders were concerned that Peled's recommendations might create negative repercussions.

"Just as it is inadvisable and inappropriate for the United States government to interfere in the domestic political affairs of the State of Israel, it is totally wrong-headed and dangerous for the Government of Israel to attempt to inject itself into American electoral politics," said William Daroff, director of the United Jewish Communities' Washington office.

"I have no doubt that Prime Minister Netanyahu did not know in advance about this proposal, and that he would reject it as outlandish."
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite? … e/ShowFull

Amazing. Doesn't Obama understand that any action or criticism against Israel is Antisemitic. In the world we live today you have no right to oppose or criticize any Israeli actions.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6639|London, England
Pfft, do you know how many Jews there are in Congress, let alone the number of them that have dual Israeli-US citizenship, Obama can't do shit to Israel

America probably could do with taking abit more of a balanced position when it comes to Israel though, but sanctions is never gonna happen no matter who's in charge
CameronPoe
+2,925|6573
What an ungracious cunt. All because, in his own words, America are adopting 'a more balanced approach to Israel'. As if building settlements has anything at all whatsoever to do with the security and wellbeing of Israel. What a fucking cock-knocker. America will continue to throw shed-loads of taxpayer money at them though, just you wait and see.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-09 13:32:39)

CameronPoe
+2,925|6573
Interesting extra - one of those rabid logic-free extreme religious zealot settler nuts who need a bullet in the head (much like Al Qaeda) called the President of the US a nigger:

Haaretz wrote:

This month, as the American president visited the Middle East, the fashion turned ugly. On the Sabbath, Israeli television viewers were treated to the recorded-on-a-weekday observations of Arele, a resident of the West Bank settlement of Karnei Shomron, grinning as he watched the progress of an arson fire burning Palestinian land near the Gilad Farm, an icon of the outlaw outpost movement.

Asked by Israel Channel Two Television reporter Shai Gal what would happen if Israeli forces tried to evacuate Havat Gilad, Arele replied, "At most, they'll demolish one measly shack, so they'll have something to show - that Kushon [a Hebrew slur equivalent to the "N" word] in the United States, in order to have an Etnan [the biblical term for a fee paid to a prostitute] to give him - if you [secular] guys know what an Etnan is."
There's loyalty to US taxmoney. $$$$$

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-09 13:40:32)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

Interesting extra - one of those rabid logic-free extreme religious zealot settler nuts who need a bullet in the head (much like Al Qaeda) called the President of the US a nigger:

Haaretz wrote:

This month, as the American president visited the Middle East, the fashion turned ugly. On the Sabbath, Israeli television viewers were treated to the recorded-on-a-weekday observations of Arele, a resident of the West Bank settlement of Karnei Shomron, grinning as he watched the progress of an arson fire burning Palestinian land near the Gilad Farm, an icon of the outlaw outpost movement.

Asked by Israel Channel Two Television reporter Shai Gal what would happen if Israeli forces tried to evacuate Havat Gilad, Arele replied, "At most, they'll demolish one measly shack, so they'll have something to show - that Kushon [a Hebrew slur equivalent to the "N" word] in the United States, in order to have an Etnan [the biblical term for a fee paid to a prostitute] to give him - if you [secular] guys know what an Etnan is."
"who need a bullet in the head"

I can see therapy isn't going so well, maybe you need a change in medication?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6573

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Haaretz wrote:

You don't think religious extremists bent on harm to and misery for others don't need a bullet in the head? I thought you were all for that. You did support the Afghanistan invasion and the quelling of the insurgency in Iraq didn't you? I am not a Christian. I fully recognise the need for violent retribution in the fight against injustice. Hardline Zionists and Radical Islamists are as entrenched and stubborn as each other and dialogue with either is pretty pointless. The world won't mourn the loss of Zionists or Islamic extremists.

ftr I don't actually partake in any therapy, it's not necessary.

Having said that it would be far preferable if the Israelis cleaned their own shit out of the West Bank instead of having Palestinians attempting to violently oust them, the latter approach would only bolster extremists within Israel proper and radicalise moderates. It is always important to take the most effective approach to addressing conflict and injustice. Perhaps we need to come up with some kind of brainwashing machine that would deradicalise Zionists and Islamic extremists cos otherwise there will be conflict for the forseeable future.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-09 13:52:52)

Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6423|North Carolina
Here's to hoping this results in more distance between us and Israel.  The further we get away from them, the better.

The same goes for Saudi Arabia and China.
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6683|NT, like Mick Dundee

Hey Israel, now you are finding out what it means to be an actual ally of the USA.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6429|'Murka

That's cute. Talk about biting off your nose to spite your face.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You don't think religious extremists bent on harm to and misery for others don't need a bullet in the head? I thought you were all for that. You did support the Afghanistan invasion and the quelling of the insurgency in Iraq didn't you? I am not a Christian. I fully recognise the need for violent retribution in the fight against injustice. Hardline Zionists and Radical Islamists are as entrenched and stubborn as each other and dialogue with either is pretty pointless. The world won't mourn the loss of Zionists or Islamic extremists.

ftr I don't actually partake in any therapy, it's not necessary.

Having said that it would be far preferable if the Israelis cleaned their own shit out of the West Bank instead of having Palestinians attempting to violently oust them, the latter approach would only bolster extremists within Israel proper and radicalise moderates. It is always important to take the most effective approach to addressing conflict and injustice. Perhaps we need to come up with some kind of brainwashing machine that would deradicalise Zionists and Islamic extremists cos otherwise there will be conflict for the forseeable future.
Now this is the Cam, I grew to know and love, refrain form personal attacks, it does not become you, you are better than that.

to address your post however, yeah I guess extremists at all level could be viewed as needing dealt with, however, Islamists are the ones that threaten MY way of life, therefore are more of a concern to me.

Last edited by lowing (2009-06-09 15:38:35)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6171|what

In the 11-page letter, obtained by The Jerusalem Post from a minister on Monday, Peled recommends steps Israel can take to compensate for the shift in American policy, which he believes has become hostile to Israel.
He doesn't know the meaning of the term if he thinks the US is "hostile" to Israel.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6573

lowing wrote:

Now this is the Cam, I grew to know and love, refrain form personal attacks, it does not become you, you are better than that.

to address your post however, yeah I guess extremists at all level could be viewed as needing dealt with, however, Islamists are the ones that threaten MY way of life, therefore are more of a concern to me.
Well if you think Islamists actually pose a real threat to your way of life and represent some kind of meaningful danger worth worrying about then there is but one word for you - paranoid. Put simply. You probably stand more chance of winning the lottery than having you're life meaningfully affected by radical Islamic extremists. A state founded on a fundamentalist religious doctrine of colonisation is however costing you more tax dollars than any other nation on earth that your nation provides aid to, on the other hand. So you can probably blame Israel for having to skimp on that ivory back scratcher you saw in the shop last week. Many Islamic nations also cost you tax dollars, but even combined it doesn't come near the that supplied to the world's most ungrateful runt of a nation.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2009-06-09 16:09:34)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Mekstizzle wrote:

Pfft, do you know how many Jews there are in Congress, let alone the number of them that have dual Israeli-US citizenship, Obama can't do shit to Israel

America probably could do with taking abit more of a balanced position when it comes to Israel though, but sanctions is never gonna happen no matter who's in charge
13 in the Senate (out of 100)
32 in the House (out of 435)

45 out of 535 total

Not a lot, but much higher than the total of Jewish Americans per capita @ 2.2%.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Kmarion wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

13 in the Senate (out of 100)
32 in the House (out of 435)

45 out of 535 total

Not a lot, but much higher than the total of Jewish Americans per capita @ 2.2%.
OMFG THATS PROOF OF THE WORLD JEWISH CONSPIRACY!

/tinfoilhat
NgoDamWei
+7|5681|Western North Carolina
"Amazing. Doesn't Obama understand that any action or criticism against Israel is Antisemitic. In the world we live today you have no right to oppose or criticize any Israeli actions."

Say what ???

I'll say that it is time, Israel is now old enough to stand on it's own feet and since their military weapons are in a league of their own they certainly don't need ours.  That's criticism but it's not "Antisemitic". 

Hell yes I can criticise their settlement actions that promote nothing but anger.  That's criticism too but it's not "Antisemitic".

As for this guy's sanctions, well have at it.  Never was a previous problem to get their aircraft from France.  Russia sells an extremely effective craft and they really need the money.  You think Lockheed is really going to give a shit ?

As for withholding Jewish money from American politics, I CAN'T WAIT ! and that part can't happen soon enough for my liking.
bogo24dk
+26|6524

NgoDamWei wrote:

"Amazing. Doesn't Obama understand that any action or criticism against Israel is Antisemitic. In the world we live today you have no right to oppose or criticize any Israeli actions."

Say what ???

I'll say that it is time, Israel is now old enough to stand on it's own feet and since their military weapons are in a league of their own they certainly don't need ours.  That's criticism but it's not "Antisemitic". 

Hell yes I can criticise their settlement actions that promote nothing but anger.  That's criticism too but it's not "Antisemitic".

As for this guy's sanctions, well have at it.  Never was a previous problem to get their aircraft from France.  Russia sells an extremely effective craft and they really need the money.  You think Lockheed is really going to give a shit ?

As for withholding Jewish money from American politics, I CAN'T WAIT ! and that part can't happen soon enough for my liking.
I was trying to make a point by being sarcastic.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Right we're being "hostile".. take a look around you fool.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Kmarion wrote:

As I said earlier, they aren't used to being an ally of the USA. They don't understand what that means.

Hopefully in future they can come along on the military excursions with us lot.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6619|132 and Bush

Flecco wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

As I said earlier, they aren't used to being an ally of the USA. They don't understand what that means.

I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6124|eXtreme to the maX

Campoe wrote:

What an ungracious cunt. All because, in his own words, America are adopting 'a more balanced approach to Israel'.
After half a century of support, America adopts 'a more balanced approach', ie one which doesn't supinely obey every Israeli instruction, and that makes them the enemy?
Wow.

Kmarion wrote:

I guess it means they are a supposed 'ally' but have never actually provided any assistance to the US.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6669|USA

CameronPoe wrote:

lowing wrote:

Well if you think Islamists actually pose a real threat to your way of life and represent some kind of meaningful danger worth worrying about then there is but one word for you - paranoid. Put simply. You probably stand more chance of winning the lottery than having you're life meaningfully affected by radical Islamic extremists. A state founded on a fundamentalist religious doctrine of colonisation is however costing you more tax dollars than any other nation on earth that your nation provides aid to, on the other hand. So you can probably blame Israel for having to skimp on that ivory back scratcher you saw in the shop last week. Many Islamic nations also cost you tax dollars, but even combined it doesn't come near the that supplied to the world's most ungrateful runt of a nation.
I will disagree, When I said MY way of life I meant the western society and lifestyle that I currently enjoy. If you do not think Islamic radicals are a threat to that, then maybe YOU are in denial just a little too much.

but on a personal note, this bullshit has cost me my job at one point, not to mention turn our country from a trusting society t oone that has to remain on gaurd at all times now. So yes it has affected me.
Flecco
iPod is broken.

Kmarion wrote:

Flecco wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Alliances are supposed to be mutually beneficial. Still haven't seen much of an upside to the USA's continued loyalty to Israel.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard