Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

DonFck wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ah they shouldn't have been in those dodgy areas in the first place, they know it's fucked up there
Yet you probably appreciate the text they write from those places, am I correct?
Not really, I mean I suppose if they can manage to get some stories showing how it is it's all good for them and everyone who wants to know the inside stories but you can't say much when they get captured, they know what they're getting into
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

DonFck wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Ah they shouldn't have been in those dodgy areas in the first place, they know it's fucked up there
Yet you probably appreciate the text they write from those places, am I correct?
Not really, I mean I suppose if they can manage to get some stories showing how it is it's all good for them and everyone who wants to know the inside stories but you can't say much when they get captured, they know what they're getting into
I'd say it's not at all clear "what they were getting into". Yes, there was some risk involved, considering the topic they were covering (human trafficking), but the risk turned out to be more associated with a vague border and nK's history of snatching people from the other side if they get close.

Details about the arrests were incomplete and conflicting. Lash told CBS News that the two were apparently detained by North Korean border guards in an area where the Tumen River crosses from China into North Korea. Some South Korean news reports, however, said the arrests took place in a border area near the Yalu River, according to accounts published overseas. The South Korean news agency Yonhap said the journalists were detained after they refused to stop filming, according to The Associated Press.

Some accounts said the arrests took place on Chinese soil, according to a BBC report.

The North Korean government rarely issues visas allowing foreign journalists to visit the country, and then only under official supervision. Checkpoint guards have displayed hostility towards reporters in nearby Chinese territory, AP said.
source

That said, if they knowingly entered nK territory...they got what they knew could be coming to them.

Last edited by FEOS (2009-06-09 06:21:35)

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

oug wrote:

ATG wrote:

He should call them Korcoms.
if you wanna be technical about it then it's not communism, it's a dictatorship so sth like Kordic(k)s ? lol
Juche, so Korjuche
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

NK threatens to use nuclear weapons in 'merciless offensive'
North Korea said Tuesday it would use nuclear weapons in a "merciless offensive" if provoked, in its latest bellicose rhetoric apparently aimed at deterring any international punishment for its recent atomic test blast.

It appeared to be the first time that North Korea referred to its nuclear arsenal as "offensive" in nature. Pyongyang has long claimed that its nuclear weapons program is only for self-defense against what it calls U.S. attempts to invade it.

"Our nuclear deterrent will be a strong defensive means ... as well as a merciless offensive means to deal a just retaliatory strike to those who touch the country's dignity and sovereignty even a bit," Pyongyang's state-run Minju Joson newspaper said in a commentary, carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ju … ear-threat
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 00590.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

NK is the leader in blowing everything out of proportion.

NK tests nuke.
SK wants to search ships as a result.
NK warns war over that.
NK then warns war unless it recieves apology.
NK now threatens a nuclear attack.

/facepalm

I'm interest to know exactly how many operational nuclear weapons they have for any kind of mass attack, considering they "weren't" continuing their nuclear program while they were recieving aid.

They need to be dropped a few pegs.
Swan
The town bike
+54|5418

M.O.A.B wrote:

NK tests nuke.
NK warns war over that.

/facepalm

I'm interest to know exactly how many operational nuclear weapons they have for any kind of mass attack, considering they "weren't" continuing their nuclear program while they were recieving aid.

1 successful strike against South Korea would devastate their economy.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone

JimSwanson wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

NK tests nuke.
NK warns war over that.

/facepalm

i thought their economy is devastated as it is
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

JimSwanson wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

NK tests nuke.
NK warns war over that.

/facepalm

Then we have better odds. NK and success rarely go together.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6602|Finland

.Sup wrote:

JimSwanson wrote:

S-Korea? Samsung, Kia, Kumho, Asiana Airlines, Huyndai, LG etc. Devastated? Wat.
I need around tree fiddy.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

There's no doubt that a single nuclear weapon hitting say, Seoul would be vastly devastating, particularly in the densely populated cities that are common in Asia. But if the NK's were using a device similar to the one they tested (Hiroshima sized), it would also be a fairly small blast range for a nuclear weapon.

Of course trying to avoid that would be the best move. I dunno if any missile fired from NK could be shot down.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

M.O.A.B wrote:

(Hiroshima sized)
Scientist have said that they think it was much smaller than that.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st … 03,00.html
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Swan
The town bike
+54|5418

DonFck wrote:

.Sup wrote:

JimSwanson wrote:

S-Korea? Samsung, Kia, Kumho, Asiana Airlines, Huyndai, LG etc. Devastated? Wat.
My wording was funny, it could implied that I meant NK. But I was referring to South Korea.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6592|London, England

JimSwanson wrote:

DonFck wrote:

.Sup wrote:

My wording was funny, it could implied that I meant NK. But I was referring to South Korea.
I think you're getting your North's and South's all confused. The North is the one with the crappy commie economy with nothing of any value to the world whatsoever and the South is the one with with all the big companies and the money and the shiny buildings and development.

Kinda just like how it is here in the UK (yes, I went there, It had to be done)

But yeah, if NK nuked Seoul even with a nuke smaller than Hiroshima it would still fuck them up pretty badly, saying that, if they did that then North Korea would be hit back 100 times harder and I can't see China or Russia helping them out if the North would be the one's to start launching nukes first

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2009-06-09 09:55:22)

Swan
The town bike
+54|5418

Mekstizzle wrote:

JimSwanson wrote:

DonFck wrote:

I think you're getting your North's and South's all confused. The North is the one with the crappy commie economy with nothing of any value to the world whatsoever and the South is the one with with all the big companies and the money and the shiny buildings and development.

But yeah, if NK nuked Seoul even with a nuke smaller than Hiroshima it would still fuck them up pretty badly, saying that, if they did that then North Korea would be hit back 100 times harder and I can't see China or Russia helping them out if the North would be the one's to start launching nukes first
I'm not confused. Please Read Again. I meant South Korea's economy would get devastated even if one nuke reached them.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6194|Escea

Mekstizzle wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

If it makes a move, NK and their whole system of trying to piss off the rest of the world will become carbonised history.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5907
@ 1st post

Nukes tbh...
NgoDamWei
+7|5634|Western North Carolina
Let's examine how we got to this point and just to where we should waggle the fickle middle fingers of blame:

1.  Two journalists defied common sense (obviously being female was not a plausible excuse to NK) and went where they didn't belong ("No, no, it's ok, we're only 10 feet over the line, what are you gonna do to us, put us on trial?" followed by the inevitable "You can't do this, we're Americans!") where they could gather sufficent material to inflame the world with the problems caused in China with the North Korean refugee problem (the aforementioned 'graveness of their actions') and win the 2010 Pulitzer Prize (obviously gonna be awarded in abstentia).  Not that the world really cares because it's been going on since last forever and it really is just a China/DPRK festering pimple with shades of Tibet.

2. This reason hasn't been used in this thread yet and since all the other worldly ills were definitely Dubya's fault it is included by de-fault (no pun intended).

3.  Though last listed it is the real reason - Harry S. Truman did not follow Douglas MacArthur's recommendation and nuke 'em all back in 1952 and be shed of all of 'em once and for all.  He squandered the opportunity to show the world we would not accept any bullshit from anyone/anytime and thus gave any piss ant world country the eventual opportunity to become nuclear weapon holding saber rattling paper tigers while their populations die at +/- 5K/day from starvation and disease. 

Where's all those 'people' people problem solvers when ya' need em - Carver, Clinton (pick one), Jackson, Delta Force ? Oh, ok, Gore's there. 

When that shtick is over the new messiah can give DPRK a bunch of bullshit (fuel oil, blankets, some MREs), remove it from any future terrorist lists (again), make another "can't we be friends" speech ..., yawn ...

Oh well, given a good hoe, a big rice paddy or cabbage patch and a big strapping guard at night 12 years will go by in no time.

Last edited by NgoDamWei (2009-06-09 12:16:27)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Kmarion wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

"grave crime they committed against the Korean nation and their illegal border crossing"

Can't they just give them free healthcare and a job?
look i know people hate mexicans but I'd rather have my country be known for being kind to people who don't commit heinous crimes, than to have my country be known as a fucking shithole dictatorship
The fuck. I don't hate mexicans. I hate people who sneak into a country, ignore their laws, and then protest about it.. there is a difference champ.
Now you have a taste of the mentality I deal with. Perhaps you can be a little more sympathetic to what I say and not what I am told I meant.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6572|132 and Bush

lowing wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

look i know people hate mexicans but I'd rather have my country be known for being kind to people who don't commit heinous crimes, than to have my country be known as a fucking shithole dictatorship
The fuck. I don't hate mexicans. I hate people who sneak into a country, ignore their laws, and then protest about it.. there is a difference champ.
Now you have a taste of the mentality I deal with. Perhaps you can be a little more sympathetic to what I say and not what I am told I meant.
WTF are you talking about? Where have I told you what you meant? I've had a taste of this plenty. lowing does not have a monopoly on being misunderstood.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
...now that's what I call border security....  j/k
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6382|'Murka

JimSwanson wrote:

I meant South Korea's economy would get devastated even if one nuke reached them.
I doubt that.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
maffiaw
ph33r me 傻逼
+40|6391|Melbourne, AUS
AFAIK they actually went onto the shallow bits of Tumen River trying to get a closer view of NK when they were kidnapped. (They could have just gotten a better camera!)
The Tumen has long been a refugee cross point and therefore is patrolled highly by NK guards.

I'm not sure as to what the legal ramifications are, but as the river itself is the border, is it considered a No man's land or is it half/half each country?
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6169
What if the US leave the korean peninsula..

What if NK invade SK.

How it is affecting the US of A ?

I mean, is there some kind of danger about having a communist and united Korea?  Why is it so important to defend SK against the north?

North vietnamese kicked the US out and they are doing pretty good today.. you even trade with them..

When will the US learn to stay out of other countries business?

You are just loosing money and valuable lives in all those conflict.. And crooks are getting rich... Nothing to gain from interventionism..

NK will never be a threat to the USA.. same with all muslim nations.

Even Obama isnt close to change that.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

AutralianChainsaw wrote:

What if the US leave the korean peninsula..

What if NK invade SK.

How it is affecting the US of A ?

I mean, is there some kind of danger about having a communist and united Korea?  Why is it so important to defend SK against the north?

North vietnamese kicked the US out and they are doing pretty good today.. you even trade with them..

When will the US learn to stay out of other countries business?

You are just loosing money and valuable lives in all those conflict.. And crooks are getting rich... Nothing to gain from interventionism..

NK will never be a threat to the USA.. same with all muslim nations.

Even Obama isnt close to change that.
A lot of good new tech and cars come out of SK. If they were thrown back to medieval times it would suck for human advancement. Beside that SK is a pretty wealthy country would suck for global trade.
AutralianChainsaw
+65|6169

Macbeth wrote:

A lot of good new tech and cars come out of SK. If they were thrown back to medieval times it would suck for human advancement. Beside that SK is a pretty wealthy country would suck for global trade.
Why always assume the worst?

Don't you think that the fact that NK is so poor can have something to do with years of sanctions and international isolation? Why think that the north Korean people is retarded and that a Korean peninsula controlled by the north will not turn out to be ok once it open itself to the world? They could end up to be like vietnam?  or China?  We deal with them everyday and buy their shitty products so i see nothing wrong with that.

You really think that the world will fall apart if we are no longer supplied by SK cars and stuff?

And who knows.. maybe the north's cars will be a lot better.. damn they were able to develop nukes with almost no help from outside..  they developp their own weapons.. these guys have brains.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard