FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
65th Aniversary of the D-Day landings, sparking the beginning of the end of Nazi Occupation in Europe.

Wikipedia wrote:

The Normandy Landings were the first operations of the Allied invasion of Normandy, also known as Operation Neptune and Operation Overlord, during World War II. The landings commenced on June 6, 1944 (D-Day), beginning at 6:30 British Double Summer Time (H-Hour). In planning, D-Day was the term used for the day of actual landing, which was dependent on final approval. The assault was conducted in two phases: an air assault landing of American, British and Canadian airborne troops shortly after midnight, and an amphibious landing of Allied infantry and armoured divisions on the coast of France commencing at 6:30. The invasion required the transport of soldiers and materiel from the United Kingdom by troop carrying aircraft and ships, the assault landings, air support, naval interdiction of the English Channel and naval fire-support. There were also subsidiary 'attacks' mounted under the codenames Operation Glimmer and Operation Taxable to distract the Kriegsmarine and the German army from the real landing areas.[3] The operation was the largest single-day amphibious invasion of all time, with 160,000[4] troops landing on June 6, 1944. 195,700[5] Allied naval and merchant navy personnel in over 5,000[4] ships were involved. The landings took place along a 50-mile (80 km) stretch of the Normandy coast divided into five sectors: Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno and Sword.
https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/VIEWLINER/0806/DAY02.jpg?t=1244278425

h2g2 wrote:

The aim of D-Day was to establish a base in Normandy, France, by building and holding a beachhead, from were it would be possible to secure other parts of France and, eventually, Germany.
The 101st and 82nd American airborne divisions, as well as the British 6th airborne division, would land behind enemy lines in an area stretching as far as 80km from the sea, to isolate the German coastal defences and cut off the supply lines by destroying bridges and roads leading to the beaches.

Then two American, two British and one Canadian division were going to land on a 96km coastline between Caen and Cherbourg with Merville on the eastern flank and St-Mere-Eglise to the west. Altogether, 107,000 soldiers would be placed in Normandy during the invasion's first 48 hours.
The coastal line had been divided into five beaches. Omaha was assigned to the 1st and 29th divisions; Utah beach was assigned 4th divisions of the American 5th and 7th army corps; Gold and Sword beach were assigned to the British 3rd division, 50th infantry division and 1st army corps; and Juno beach assigned to the Canadian 3rd division.
After that, the towns behind the established beachhead would be captured by the airborne divisions after being relieved by the 7th army corps in order to maintain a firm grip on the coast.
https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/images/maps/DDay1.jpg

Wikipedia
h2g2
BBC coverage of commemorations

Post up any other stories, links to articles etc etc. Family experience would be nice to hear off also.

Maybe keep this thread current with other WWII stuff?
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
The Times have some great photos of this today. This one's from Pegasus Bridge

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00569/soldier-585_569133a.jpg
https://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00569/last-585_569157a.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:

On the night of 5 June 1944, a force of 181 men, led by Major John Howard, set off from southern England in six Horsa gliders to capture Pegasus Bridge, and also "Horsa Bridge", a few hundred yards to the east, over the Orne River. The force included elements of B and D Companies, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, a platoon of B Company, Royal Engineers, and men of the Glider Pilot Regiment. The object of this action was to prevent German armour from crossing the bridges and attacking the eastern flank of the landings at Sword Beach.

Five of the Ox and Bucks's gliders landed as close as 40 yards from their objectives from 16 minutes past midnight. The attackers poured out of their battered gliders, completely surprising the German defenders, and took the bridges within 10 minutes. They lost two men in the process, Lieutenant Den Brotheridge and Lance-Corporal Fred Greenhalgh.
Wikipedia

These are the gliders they used...lol

https://www.raf.mod.uk/downloads/wallpapers/1945/horsa1024.jpg

I've been in one of those (on the ground obv)... not the nicest things to be inside, let alone unpowered over nazi occupied france.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
not quite the same calibre, but i've just finished watching BoB - Day of Days.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

Lest We Forget

British intel and counter-intel really saved a lot of lives that day. The Germans were expecting a beach landing miles away due to false information sent by their own spies which the British had captured.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

zee french resistance also supplied the Allies with intelligence as well as doing a huge amount of work to disrupt the German supply and communication lines within France leading up to d-day.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

Casualties on the British beaches were roughly 1000 on Gold Beach and the same number on Sword Beach. The remainder of the British losses were amongst the airborne troops: some 600 were killed or wounded, and 600 more were missing; 100 glider pilots also became casualties. The losses of 3rd Canadian Division at Juno Beach have been given as 340 killed, 574 wounded and 47 taken prisoner.

The breakdown of US casualties was 1465 dead, 3184 wounded, 1928 missing and 26 captured. Of the total US figure, 2499 casualties were from the US airborne troops (238 of them being deaths). The casualties at Utah Beach were relatively light: 197, including 60 missing. However, the US 1st and 29th Divisions together suffered around 2000 casualties at Omaha Beach.

The total German casualties on D-Day are not known, but are estimated as being between 4000 and 9000 men.
The Allied casualties figures for D-Day have generally been estimated at 10,000, including 2500 dead. Broken down by nationality, the usual D-Day casualty figures are approximately 2700 British, 946 Canadians, and 6603 Americans. However recent painstaking research by the US National D-Day Memorial Foundation has achieved a more accurate - and much higher - figure for the Allied personnel who were killed on D-Day. They have recorded the names of individual Allied personnel killed on 6 June 1944 in Operation Overlord, and so far they have verified 2499 American D-Day fatalities and 1915 from the other Allied nations, a total of 4414 dead (much higher than the traditional figure of 2500 dead). Further research may mean that these numbers will increase slightly in future. The details of this research will in due course be available on the Foundation's website at www.dday.org.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6145|'straya
Is it true that the Germans expected General Patton to lead the main invasion? and therefore the Allies set up Patton with a massive, totally imaginary force and gave misinformation that he would be landing at the most narrow part of the channel? I heard that somewhere but don't know if its accurate.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
Did a battlefield tour a few years back, the year previous our tour guide had found a german soldiers body.

not related to the OP, but going here was particularly poignant.

https://www.tnovosel.org/greatwargraphics/Thiepval%20Tower%20to%20the%20Missing%20of%20the%20Somme%20-Rear%20View.JPG
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6661|NT, like Mick Dundee

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Is it true that the Germans expected General Patton to lead the main invasion? and therefore the Allies set up Patton with a massive, totally imaginary force and gave misinformation that he would be landing at the most narrow part of the channel? I heard that somewhere but don't know if its accurate.
There was a massive disinformation effort including a dead body of a sailor with details about an invasion of Calais on his body. Don't know if it was Patton specific but I know they put major resources into trying to fool the Germans that the invasion was going to hit Calais, including a bombing campaign I believe.

@ Ted, I've been there too. Did a tour of the Australian battlefields. Touching stuff, especially since my ignorance was rammed home. I might have known more than my peers, but my tour guide was able to point to the various areas of the line and which Australian battalion was based there at the time, along with other details I asked him for.

Very touching for me, if annoying. I still feel that some of my peers really didn't grasp how much of our culture was defined by WW1 and our efforts in a war that had nothing to do with us. Had a few fights on that trip really. Also acted as a tour guide while we were in Normandy though.

I'd love to get back. Another trip to the UK has priority though. My great uncle is sick and getting on a bit.

Might be back on later, gotta cook now.

Last edited by Flecco (2009-06-06 04:17:50)

Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5932

Kmarion wrote:

...1928 missing...
What...the...fuck?

What is that supposed to mean "Missing"? How the heck did they get "Lost" ?
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

I think next year I'll try to make it down to Arnhem for D-Day.  This year I was still in the UK.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

...1928 missing...
What...the...fuck?

very easy, just read up on all the people still missing from WWI - and then they were generally either in a trench, or between trenches.

in WWII we had people on boats, running through fields, buildings, jumping out of planes etc etc.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
ghettoperson
+1,943|6645

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

...1928 missing...
What...the...fuck?

As in, don't show up where they're supposed to, but their bodies aren't found.
S.Lythberg
Mastermind
+429|6443|Chicago, IL

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

...1928 missing...
What...the...fuck?

drown, land in densely wooded areas, go AWOL, direct hit by artillery, make it back to the US without filing the proper paperwork...

There's lots of ways, but missing usually means dead
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6641|Canada

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Yes you are very correct. The Allies passed along false information as well as non-essential correct information through German spies in England (who had been located previously). It was a fantastic scheme involving model vehicles and ships across England. They also went as far as creating new infantry and airborne divisions and even designing and making their shoulder patches.
Wiki has more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fortitude
Bradt3hleader
+121|5932

FatherTed wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

...1928 missing...
What...the...fuck?

very easy, just read up on all the people still missing from WWI - and then they were generally either in a trench, or between trenches.

in WWII we had people on boats, running through fields, buildings, jumping out of planes etc etc.
I guess

But yeah WW1 had too many tbh

I mean you've got guys in no-man's land that just sat there and decomposed or got vaporized with artillery shells. WW1 was horrible!

I remember one guy's story where he was brining soup to the front-line trench and he got lost, then he ended up between the rear trench and the front-line trench when a flare went up and he had to hide, then constant flares went up so he couldn't move. He tried to dig himself into the mud as far as he could to hide. Then later in the morning when he woke up he realized the mud he was digging in was a soldier's stomach.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6711|US
RIP all who died that day.

...a horrific day in the "great crusade" to stop the Axis.

A toast
NgoDamWei
+7|5659|Western North Carolina
D-Day deception (FORTITUDE) was run by MI5 and GARBO (Juan Pujol Garcia, his services were initially rejected, a survivor of the Spanish network) was its best operative.  He was highly regarded as code name RUFUS by the Germans.  A journalist by trade he continued as such after the war. His double agent career was outlined in his book GARBO in 1986.

One can learn more of FORTITUDE and other spy networks from MI 5, British Security Service Operations 1909-1945 by Nigel West, Stein and Day, 1981.  It is highly factual as well as extremely dry. 

As for the M16/Enfield debate, there should be none as each had their own purpose and engineering era.  The Enfield SMLE was excellent for its time, one of the finest, fastest, smoothest bolt actions ever designed with an aimed ROF in excess of 30 by well trained forces.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

No matter how you feel about the war you have to admit those guy had balls to do that.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6525|Global Command
Nobody gives a flying fuck about the weapons.
Way off topic.
Only warning.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6407|'Murka

Read about this yesterday:

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/histor … -28apr.htm

Shortly after midnight on 28 April 1944, nine German torpedo boats moved into Lyme Bay, along the southern coast of England near a place called Slapton Sands. Drawn in by heavier than normal radio traffic, they suddenly found themselves caught up in the midst of Operation TIGER -- one of several amphibious exercises secretly being conducted by the Allies in preparation for the Normandy Landing.

In minutes the German torpedoes hit their mark.  One LST (landing ship, tank) was seriously crippled.  Another burst into flames trapping many of the victims below deck.   And a third sank immediately, sending hundreds of U.S. soldiers and sailors to a watery grave.

It was the costliest training exercise in all of World War II. As the bodies washed ashore in days ahead, the official count rose to 749.
The number of dead was 3 times higher than on Utah beach on D-Day, according to the article I read yesterday.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Bradt3hleader
+121|5932

ATG wrote:

Nobody gives a flying fuck about the weapons.
Way off topic.
Only warning.
We do

/ontopic

So how many men can those landing crafts carry BTW?
AKS-74
+3|6571|Somerset, England.
20 is my guess. Depends on what landing craft you're talking about though, the British and Americans had different models. The British model was superior.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard