usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6758

Ty wrote:

I'm questioning why Ted has to write ":d" after each one of my posts...
he has a thing for people from oceania.  thats why he hangs out in AU chatz
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum

Ty wrote:

I'm questioning why Ted has to write ":d" after each one of my posts...

it's meant to be the smiley face smiley, but bf2s doesnt like me just posting ':d'
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6771|Noizyland

Oh, I thought you were picking your nose with your tongue. A friend of mine used to do that, it's fucking gross.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
:d

wtf like
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6641|Canada

Bradt3hleader wrote:

I wonder if there's any soldiers that went through the whole war and all the landings and stuff. Chances are somewhat slim.
Yep there were those who survived the Liberation of Western Europe from June 6th to May 7th but as you said, the chances were slim. There were also those with the first infantry division who had gone through Africa and had made it through as well. I believe that two Sherman DD tanks that landed on D-Day made it through unscathed until VE day as well. Pretty crazy...

For those who never made it home, lest we forget...
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6496|so randum
are the canadians at the events today? i only heard about french, americans and uk
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
WienerBreath
Hai guys
+14|5498|Fort Hood, Texas
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5932
I would think the Marines had the least chances of getting through the whole war.

It's such a shame!

As I said it's a very bad feeling you must getting, knowing no matter what you do it's all chance, you could have the best tactics but just by chance the enemy aimed for you and not the guy next to you. Then there's survivors guilt when they do aim for your friend instead of you.
CaptainMike
It's just a flesh wound
+45|6641|Canada

FatherTed wrote:

are the canadians at the events today? i only heard about french, americans and uk
Yes, the Canadians are definitely there though it seems that we don't get the same attention as the British and Americans. Granted, we only landed at one beach instead of two, but it was the second most heavily defended beach after Omaha. Prime Minister Harper is also in attendance.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6686|Tampa Bay Florida
Actually Kmarion it was in the very first sentence Reagan said...

I mean I didnt listen to much after that.  Perhaps it was just a poorly worded sentence.   And yer right, I dont like Reagan.
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5932

CaptainMike wrote:

Bradt3hleader wrote:

I wonder if there's any soldiers that went through the whole war and all the landings and stuff. Chances are somewhat slim.
Yep there were those who survived the Liberation of Western Europe from June 6th to May 7th but as you said, the chances were slim. There were also those with the first infantry division who had gone through Africa and had made it through as well. I believe that two Sherman DD tanks that landed on D-Day made it through unscathed until VE day as well. Pretty crazy...

For those who never made it home, lest we forget...
But see what I mean? You can be the best soldier in the world but it's all chance.

War would be cooler if it wasn't chance
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6597|132 and Bush

You said "when some people say D-Day was the begining of the liberation of Europe"

He said "We're here to mark that day in history when the Allied armies joined in battle to reclaim this continent to liberty." (didn't they?)

That's not what he said. He didn't say this was the beginning or start.

Your annoyance is with Reagan, and your bias made you see things that simply weren't there, totally ignoring the circumstances the speech was delivered under.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Lai wrote:

Well, every sane person in Holland, Belgium or France knows he or she would have spoken German today if it wasn't for the Russians, yet they never seem to get any credit. Quite the opposite actually
fuck the Russians.  Ask the Polish about the Russians.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6219|Escea

Pretty amazing when you think how massive Overlord was and how despite some of it going off the rails (lack of effective bombarment on Omaha, misdrops the night before) it still pulled through.

RIP and hats off to the D-Day vets.
Lai
+186|6147

M.O.A.B wrote:

Pretty amazing when you think how massive Overlord was and how despite some of it going off the rails (lack of effective bombarment on Omaha, misdrops the night before) it still pulled through.

RIP and hats off to the D-Day vets.
I think the primary reason it pulled through is that the plan was so immensely stupid, unlogical and poorly worked out (in fact one could argue whether "massive frontal beach rush kekekeke!" qualifies as a plan at all), Jerry simply did not anticipate on nor respond adequately to it

Reciprocity wrote:

Lai wrote:

Well, every sane person in Holland, Belgium or France knows he or she would have spoken German today if it wasn't for the Russians, yet they never seem to get any credit. Quite the opposite actually
fuck the Russians.  Ask the Polish about the Russians.
Still, the mere existence of an eastern front made an allied victory possible, and the Russians lost far more men than any other allied nation, yet they  are never remembered in the West.

Last edited by Lai (2009-06-06 14:48:29)

Reciprocity
+721|6577|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Lai wrote:

Still, the mere existence of an eastern front made an allied victory possible, and the Russians lost far more men than any other allied nation, yet they  are never remembered in the West.
they were nothing more than the enemy of an enemy.  and they lost so many men because of poor equipment, poor tactics and poor training.  had stalin had his way, the USSR and Germany would have remained allies.  and yes, they were allies in all but name.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
My grandfather was evacuated from Dunkirk, went through North Africa and back in through Italy.
Royal Corps of Transport FTW! Actually driving petrol trucks around is not funny.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard