Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6482|6 6 4 oh, I forget

BBC wrote:

French plane 'missing off Brazil' 

An Air France plane carrying 228 people from Brazil has disappeared from radar screens over the Atlantic Ocean, according to reports.

Officials at Paris Charles de Gaulle airport said contact was lost with the flight from Rio de Janeiro at 0600 GMT.

A spokeswoman told AFP news agency the Airbus 330 had been expected to arrive in Paris at 1110 local time (0910 GMT).

Another official said it was possible that the plane had a transponder problem but this was very rare.

"We are very worried," he said, quoted by AFP news agency. "The plane disappeared from the screens several hours ago."

Airport authorities have set up a crisis centre at Charles de Gaulle.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8076848.stm

Lost?
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6635|UK
So it lost communication and then crashed?
Ultrafunkula

They went under the radar and flew to the Canary isles?
Ioan92
+337|5730
Another "Mayday" episode for us seems.....
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5944
Can't be LOST tbh, they're not over the pacific.
Ultrafunkula

Bradt3hleader wrote:

Can't be LOST tbh, they're not over the pacific.
Euro Lost. Kinda like Euro Disney.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
Radar went down, or they crashed. Or both.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6243|S.A. Australia
"Crashed" the plane so all the passengers could run off with Brazilian hoochies...
Serious Flex
Bradt3hleader
Care [ ] - Don't care [x]
+121|5944
Pacific = epic climate (even at high/lower latitudes)

Atlantic = epic lobsters /w fail weather (I think, I've never been there though)
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6693|Espoo, Finland
What ever happened happend in seconds. They have like 3 back up radios and they didn't broadcast anything.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium
It apparently got hit by lightning...
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

snakes on a mother fukin plane
henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6356|Belfast
The plane has been diverted to paradise due to unforeseen Islamic Fundamentalism

Anyway......
my guess is that it went down in the ocean

Last edited by henno13 (2009-06-01 08:47:51)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5772|Belgium

henno13 wrote:

The plane has been diverted to paradise due to unforeseen Islamic Fundamentalism

Anyway......
my guess is that it went down in the ocean
No shit
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

IF that is the case, then Airbus are screwed.

All planes are rigorously tested against lightning before being allowed to fly. Lightning it meant to hit the extremities of the plane and then travel across the conductive outer coating till the end of the plane, its not meant to damage anything or create problems. On average, 1 plane a year gets hit by lightning and there hasn't been an incident since 1967.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6655

usmarine wrote:

snakes on a mother fukin plane
Sankes ate the radio.
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6693|Espoo, Finland

Zimmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

IF that is the case, then Airbus are screwed.

All planes are rigorously tested against lightning before being allowed to fly. Lightning it meant to hit the extremities of the plane and then travel across the conductive outer coating till the end of the plane, its not meant to damage anything or create problems. On average, 1 plane a year gets hit by lightning and there hasn't been an incident since 1967.
Where does it say one plane a year? Both of my parents have been in a plane that got struck by lightning.

You're right though, shouldn't do anything to a plane. Really hard to belive that story.
tahadar
Sniper!!
+183|6746|Pakistan/England

Zimmer wrote:

On average, 1 plane a year gets hit by lightning and there hasn't been an incident since 1967.
Correction. On average, each passenger plane in the world gets hit by lightning once a year. thats a hell of a lot of lightning strikes. Last catastrophic lightning strike accident that i can think of was a Super Puma that got its composite tail rotor blasted in 1995, forcing it to ditch in the north sea. now widebody jets are "protected" against lightning strikes with conducting strips but thats where the debate lies...are they protected enough? especially with the increasing use of composites in the fuselage?
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

tahadar wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

On average, 1 plane a year gets hit by lightning and there hasn't been an incident since 1967.
Correction. On average, each passenger plane in the world gets hit by lightning once a year. thats a hell of a lot of lightning strikes. Last catastrophic lightning strike accident that i can think of was a Super Puma that got its composite tail rotor blasted in 1995, forcing it to ditch in the north sea. now widebody jets are "protected" against lightning strikes with conducting strips but thats where the debate lies...are they protected enough? especially with the increasing use of composites in the fuselage?
i would say during the summer every airline has at least 1 strike per day......at least.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

Is it really easy to tell if your plane gets hit? Because I fly quite a bit, but I can't say I've ever noticed it happening. And I'd think odds would be on my side that I would have been hit at least once.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6770

ghettoperson wrote:

Is it really easy to tell if your plane gets hit? Because I fly quite a bit, but I can't say I've ever noticed it happening. And I'd think odds would be on my side that I would have been hit at least once.
yes you would know ifr you got zapped
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6455|Boulder, CO
Yep it'd simply fry the electronics or just plain melt them. One of the worse but more likely theories regarding this is that it got hit by lightning which ignitied its fuel tanks. According to the expert on the news (obviously usmarine is the resident expert here) if its electronics went down they would normally have about 30 - 40 minutes of descent in which to prepare.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6657

usmarine wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What happens? Loud bang?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6693|Espoo, Finland

ghettoperson wrote:

usmarine wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

What happens? Loud bang?
Really loud bang

Noobeater wrote:

Yep it'd simply fry the electronics or just plain melt them. One of the worse but more likely theories regarding this is that it got hit by lightning which ignitied its fuel tanks. According to the expert on the news (obviously usmarine is the resident expert here) if its electronics went down they would normally have about 30 - 40 minutes of descent in which to prepare.
It's still hard to belive that lightning caused it.

Last edited by Gawwad (2009-06-01 10:25:59)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6689|Disaster Free Zone
terrorist.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard