a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
Ok.. here's the deal... this started with patch 1.21a and worsened with 1.22... While playing my screen will freeze then go black as if I pressed "alt+tab" to swap programs or something.. sometimes the game will come back and sometimes not... which means the system freezes or i have to alt tab out and close the game.. when i go back into it it works fine for anywhere from 10-20 minutes then does it again... it never did it ONCE before patch 1.21a where they supposedly "fixed" people with ATI cards who were having lag... i would rather have the lag than my game freeze...

any advice? I'm even trying the omega drivers for this thing... still not helping.. changed resolutions.. everything.
MelbourneVictory
+2|6654|Melbourne, Australia
What are your system specs? Particularly, the RAM?
cmotdibbler
+19|6674|The pork thing inna bun stall.
Hiya
I have an ATI X800GT and 1 1/2 gig of ram. I am using the latest Catalyst driver and have all settings on Medium or High except Dynamic Lighting = LOW and Dynamic Shadows= OFF. Have had no problems so far with any of the patches with regards to the graphics.

Have you tried reseating the card and checking the fan on it is working. Memory is also a big thing with this game. You could try running a prog called memtest. This is good for finding dodgy memory. There are others out there but this is the one i use and have come to trust.

Could you supply more system info.
a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
I have 1G of RAM... P4 3.4 with HT for my CPU... need anymore info? i just dont get why it started after the patch that was supposed to fix problems with ATI cards...
cmotdibbler
The main problem with the ATI cards was the shader rendering capability but this should not be an issue on the X800. Have you tried this ....... C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\cache and delete everything in there. This will force the game to re optimise your video card when you next login. The error you are getting is unusual. Have you got any progs running on the taskbar that could pause the game e.g virus checker, messenger, aol messenger, that sort of thing. Clutching at straws here but will give it some more thought.
a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
nope i havent tried clearing that cache but will give it a whirl... i also changed the lighting like you suggested... i'll keep ya posted.  all antivirus/messengers/etc are closed out before i game... just so nothing pulls me out.

Thanks!

Clay
a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
well, this time i made it through two rounds and at the start of my third i got the blinking boxes...i had gotten them in the past but sometimes they would go away.. i just got irritated by them and rebooted... so... still got issues.. do you think a reinstall would help?
cmotdibbler
I don't think it would hurt at this point. When i had 1 gig of Ram i ran most settings on medium or low and had very few problems. As suggested on another thread have you tried altering the shortcut for BF2 from

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

to "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 0

This runs BF2 in windowed mode and can allow you to see any error messages generated.

Another thing to check is the airflow through your case. Make sure the vents are clear and the fan blades are not caked in dust. Check this for the Power Supply as well.

Will keep thinking. Hope this helps.
a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
Yeah i thought it might be temp last night so i opened the case and it was blowing cool air out through the top fan.. so i know the temp is ok.. or else the air would be really hot... it doesnt do this on other games so I'm wondering if patch 1.22 to fix shaders on other ati cards didnt jack shaders on cards that are working? is that possible? If the full screen fix doesnt help then i'll try a reinstall.. its gonna suck cuz that 1.22 patch plue EF plus SF is gonna take a minute to get me back in the game    oh well, not like i have anything better to do like studying haha...
cmotdibbler
Did a reinstall myself this week after 1.22. Things run ok now though. I am using the latest Catalyst drivers from here http://downloads.guru3d.com/ . Got an increase in 3dmark score and BF2 seems less jittery now. Could just be wishfull thinking though.

Good luck. Will continue to try to help if i can.
a_rabid_std
+16|6611|Arkansas
well, i tried running in window mode and turned off all shadows (didnt really see much of a difference with shadows off) and it didnt crash... what do i need to do to run it in highest settings? upgrade video cards? ram?
cmotdibbler
To run the game on max settings you need a Good soundcard e.g Audigy 4 ( capable of hardware decoding the sound ) and 2 gig of Ram and of course a high end video card [ full direct x 9c support ]. Though running on a mix of med and high with the X800 with distance set at 100% looks good enough for me.

Have a look here at the X800 results on BF2.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/ … 0gt_6.html

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by cmotdibbler (2006-03-31 11:51:47)

ShowMeKiller
+0|6765|Missouri
I had the ATI 800 pro hd with 2 gig of gaming ram, and I had all sorts of problems with the ATI card on BF2. The card ran hot,  a friend had a ATI 800 and same trouble. Both of us went to the 7800 gtx cards, and all the problems we had are now gone. I have not had much luck with ATI cards.  http://sinistersyndicate.com/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard